Increasing mpg with each fill up?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Increasing mpg with each fill up?

Post by you you »

ScooterKim wrote:I'm no expert here but I think that the smaller GIVI windshield helps with a better gas mileage. I could be all wet about this. I get about 105 mpg and with a large GIVI windshield, and I think that's great. that seems to be what I have consistently gotten. I don't think it will change. My route that I travel is flat and I don't gun it. I think Skuuter's travels are probably the coolest: curvy, hilly, and just the best sites anyone could travel. so, that's the trade off. Good background, not as good mileage.

speaking of the small and the large GIVI windshield, I was wondering if and when I got to ride in the rain with my large GIVI... will I still be able to see clearly? how is the distortion level? I can not look over the windshield...

Wet? Windscreens aren't that exciting are they?
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

you you wrote:
ScooterKim wrote:I'm no expert here but I think that the smaller GIVI windshield helps with a better gas mileage. I could be all wet about this. I get about 105 mpg and with a large GIVI windshield, and I think that's great. that seems to be what I have consistently gotten. I don't think it will change. My route that I travel is flat and I don't gun it. I think Skuuter's travels are probably the coolest: curvy, hilly, and just the best sites anyone could travel. so, that's the trade off. Good background, not as good mileage.

speaking of the small and the large GIVI windshield, I was wondering if and when I got to ride in the rain with my large GIVI... will I still be able to see clearly? how is the distortion level? I can not look over the windshield...

That all depends on what you are viewing through them.. :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:
you you wrote:

That all depends on what you are viewing through them.. :lol:
It'll be that GN2 naked on his scooter again
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

come on, guys. let's get back on track here. my question is, what is the distortion level with a large windscreen. Say you get stuck in a cloud burst and need to ride home. will I be able to see well enough to ride? and yes, I have ridden in the rain before, just with a smaller windscreen on the front of the scooter.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

A windscreen should always be low enough to see over it.
If you're looking through it, it needs cropped.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

We have the shorter Givi windshields; haven't noticed any difference in mileage due to those... but the wind on the torso is more comfortable. With a pair of these scoots, my wife's always averages about 8 mpg better than mine, riding the same terrain. And, I think she has a heavier throttle hand than I do. ;) I get around 100 mpg most of the time (+/- 3-5), hers better.

Well, that's the way I remember it. 17 days left on my boat captain contract here... then, back to the scoots. 8)

Captain Jim

Over the years, we have had full dress Harleys and Goldwings, most with windshields we had to look through. When they get wet, it is an issue for visibility. No doubt it would be the same with these smaller scoots and a tall windshield.
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

ScooterKim wrote:come on, guys. let's get back on track here. my question is, what is the distortion level with a large windscreen. Say you get stuck in a cloud burst and need to ride home. will I be able to see well enough to ride? and yes, I have ridden in the rain before, just with a smaller windscreen on the front of the scooter.
The Givi is a bit distorted in the middle, but is fairly good at the top. I slouch down and look through it when it's raining.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:
ScooterKim wrote:come on, guys. let's get back on track here. my question is, what is the distortion level with a large windscreen. Say you get stuck in a cloud burst and need to ride home. will I be able to see well enough to ride? and yes, I have ridden in the rain before, just with a smaller windscreen on the front of the scooter.
The Givi is a bit distorted in the middle, but is fairly good at the top. I slouch down and look through it when it's raining.
That must look so cool
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I had a stock tall windshield on our SH150i & except for making Ohio winters more bearable, I didn't like it. You couldn't see with rain drops, sun glares & it knocked 5 mph off of the top speed. I wholeheartedly agree with being able to see over it, the stock Silverwing screen was perfect for me & I plan on leaving the PCX as is.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MrSuperchicken1 »

Ok, I hope to share some information here. First thing- mpg. You dont have to run your tank dry each time to know what your mpg is. Fill up, then ride and when you fill up next time, take the gas it takes to re-fill and divide that by the miles you drove since last fill up. That simple.
Second, when everyone is comparing mpg- they are not taking into account weight differences. A person who weighs 200 pounds will not get as good of mpg as someone who weighs 140 (all things being equal). Terrain, throttle habits, wind resistance, weight, tire pressure and thread, air filter condition, fuel quality, spark plug condition, etc. all affect mpg.
Thanks.
Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Shoe »

I currently have 2100 on the clock and even with 20 some miles riding 2 up it ended up at 113 mpg.

I changed the oil at 530 some with HP4S and only fed it regular 87. Most of my daily riding is on flat ground and knowing the roads, played the lights. Took it to work 5 days, hit the hardware store and pet shop and it took $4.07 to fill it! 8)

That would have been an easy $40+ running my diesel. According to my calculations I saved $388 since I bought the thing in December of last year. (not to mention the fun and picture ability... :lol: )
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Shoe wrote:I currently have 2100 on the clock and even with 20 some miles riding 2 up it ended up at 113 mpg.

I changed the oil at 530 some with HP4S and only fed it regular 87. Most of my daily riding is on flat ground and knowing the roads, played the lights. Took it to work 5 days, hit the hardware store and pet shop and it took $4.07 to fill it! 8)

That would have been an easy $40+ running my diesel. According to my calculations I saved $388 since I bought the thing in December of last year. (not to mention the fun and picture ability... :lol: )

I am right there with ya. Parking the SUV sames me 25 to 30 dollars a week plus its way more fun to ride the bike at a measly 5 dollars every two weeks.
Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Shoe »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:
Shoe wrote:I currently have 2100 on the clock and even with 20 some miles riding 2 up it ended up at 113 mpg.

I am right there with ya. Parking the SUV sames me 25 to 30 dollars a week plus its way more fun to ride the bike at a measly 5 dollars every two weeks.
I got pissed the last few days. The silly weatherman predicted storms and I left "Little Red Riding Hood" at home. I could have made it!

I'll end up with 3000 miles for this year. That and saving those miles on my GMC Denali will pay for it in the long run.

I truly missed riding it these last few days! (although I'm seriously looking at a Beemer for highway speeds and traveling). Torn though, the PCX will do all local stuff. Not quite sure if the numbers add up with another insurance bill for 2 bikes....
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

Larry David wrote:
cessna151 wrote:
Larry David wrote:I seem to be getting increased mpg after each fill up. I have done 5 fill ups since I bought the bike and the total miles I have been getting from each fill up had been as follows. 130, 140, 141, 143, 146.
Are you saying you run it completely out of gas for each fill up? If not then the mileage on the odometer alone is not accurate enough to know what's really going on. Divide the miles by the gallons for each fill up to give us your actual MPG so we know what it's really doing.
No, I don't ride it until it runs out of gas. I don't carry a fuel bottle with me. As soon as the last bar starts flashing I ride it about another 10 miles and then fill it up again. I've always done the same. It's not possible to know exactly how many litres of fuel I'm using each time unless I rode it until it was completely dry.
When you fill up (and you have to fill up all the way each fill up) you divide the miles since the last fill up by the amount of gas used and that'll give you mileage. Now that may not be totally accurate because you may have a slight difference in total amount you fill each time, but doing this over an the course of a few fill ups will give you a good average. You need not wait for the tank to go dry.

Somebody on the forum, and I don't know who that was, went by the number of miles on the trip odometer alone. If I did that I'd be getting 140 mpg on my current tankful which hasn't hit empty yet. I'm sure if I filled it today it would take more than a gallon of gas.

An easy way to keep track is to use fuelly. You enter gallons to fill up, miles driven and it keeps a running average of your mpg. You have to do a complete fill up each time.

In my case I haven't kept fuelly up to date.
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MrSuperchicken1 »

I ran out of gas the other night- didnt realize when the last bar starts blinking, I only have about 15 miles to go. I calculated and I only got 74 mpg. I drive 17 miles each way to work and it includes hills, and is all 55mph. I weigh with gear about 205-210. I have not had its first service yet, so not sure if that will help (valve adjustment and changing to synthetic oil). Has anyone else had similar experience? Does the first service help with MPG?

Thanks.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If that's 74mpg US gallons its about right.
I get low 80s Imp gallons in similar conditions.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

MrSuperchicken1 wrote:I ran out of gas the other night- didnt realize when the last bar starts blinking, I only have about 15 miles to go. I calculated and I only got 74 mpg. I drive 17 miles each way to work and it includes hills, and is all 55mph. I weigh with gear about 205-210. I have not had its first service yet, so not sure if that will help (valve adjustment and changing to synthetic oil). Has anyone else had similar experience? Does the first service help with MPG?

Thanks.
74mpg seems low to me, get your first service done and or switch gas stations that might help. ;)
Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Shoe »

dasshreddar wrote:
MrSuperchicken1 wrote:I ran out of gas the other night- didnt realize when the last bar starts blinking, I only have about 15 miles to go. I calculated and I only got 74 mpg. I drive 17 miles each way to work and it includes hills, and is all 55mph. I weigh with gear about 205-210. I have not had its first service yet, so not sure if that will help (valve adjustment and changing to synthetic oil). Has anyone else had similar experience? Does the first service help with MPG?

Thanks.
74mpg seems low to me, get your first service done and or switch gas stations that might help. ;)
That does seem low. My last 2 fill-ups have all been over 105. (113 and 107) And that includes riding 2up for about 10-15 miles each time. Not doing 55 though. Most of my travels are 45 and under.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The wider you open the tap the faster the liquid flows through.
Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Shoe »

gn2 wrote:The wider you open the tap the faster the liquid flows through.
Yup, did a hundred miles on the freeway last week. Had it pegged at the limiter to keep up with traffic. I didn't even check it. :lol: I'm thinking mid to upper 70's?