You're a biker? Questions, questions

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

You're a biker? Questions, questions

Post by WhiteNoise »

How many times do we get told that riding a bike is dangerous? Here we go again. So, I pull out of my driveway, a neighbor down the street walks over, "you ride?" Reply, "yep" then comes..."Aren't you scared, it's so freaking dangerous?" "Well yeah, so's life in general. I have my moments, I am aware of the danger." ......and from there-on it goes. Bet y'all have heard the same or similar...right?
Here's a letter I found online awhile back. It's a goodie :P
http://rideapart.com/2012/06/an-open-le ... otorcycle/
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Hyadum

Re: You're a biker? Questions, questions

Post by Hyadum »

Ideas are there, but he's too aggressive to make his point count.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I've read this before as well & I agree that he is too defensive & mean spirited. He could have just explained why he enjoyed it and there is a certain amount of risk with everything you do.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

the danger is from all the inattentive cage drivers on the road. I think they all should be made to ride for a couple of years as they would become better drivers for it. In the last 2 weeks I had a car merge into my lane so I had to jam on the brakes to miss, and a huge van did the same a few days back. A blip on the throttle got me in front of him allowing appropriate gestures! If I had been on a 50cc scooter I would not have had the power to do that and could have been in trouble.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Unfortunately, I have found that the people who tell me that riding motorcycles is dangerous are the same people I am afraid to be behind on the road. I have followed some of these drivers to the store before and had to back off considerably because they tailgate, don't use turn signals, and don't hesitate to run a red light. Then, once we end up at the same location, they come up to me as I am getting off of my scooter and tell me,"Those things are pretty dangerous, aren't they?". What do you tell them....'only if I follow you!?'
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
st3v4nt

Post by st3v4nt »

The only time I got riding a bike is dangerous remark are from my American friends and people who can't and won't riding a bike. Even after I say that I start riding a bike from early age. And currently clocking about 20 years of riding.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

44+ Years, and Hundreds of Thousands of Scooter/Motorcycle/Trike Riding Miles......yeah, I've "maybe" had this conversation a few hundred times.....same when I raced Cars, Motorcycles, Karts, and Bicycles..."standard question" from the "Non-Participating Public"..... ;)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

An interesting letter. I agree with most of it. But, I've been riding for 45+ years; friends and family know it's what we do. I don't have to explain myself to strangers... but, I have found that since we bought these scooters, more strangers approach us with questions. The typical questions: How fast? Miles per gallon? How much?

I think people feel OK approaching us when it is the two of us on our scooters. I definitely don't get as many approaches when I'm riding by myself.

Somewhere along the way, roles reverse... your kids start worrying about you. 8) Our daughter says, "You two be careful!"

"Yes, Honey. We'll drive real fast and take lots of chances!" :lol:

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Got bored a few sentences in

Too much angst and melodrama.
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

I thought it was a great letter...thanks!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I do wear a helmet, as a matter of fact, along with other protective gear. But, the fact that you “certainly hope” I wear a helmet is so condescending it makes me want to ride a tricycle completely naked doing doughnuts in your front yard screaming Beastie Boys lyrics at midnight. Trust me, you do not want that. My buttocks are extremely pale and unsightly, especially in moonlight.
:lol: :lol: Good imagery there.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Can't see why he would get himself in such a lather over such a trivial thing.
Anyone asks me if its dangerous to ride a bike I simply say yes.
Because it is.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Can't see why he would get himself in such a lather over such a trivial thing.
Anyone asks me if its dangerous to ride a bike I simply say yes.
Because it is.
Bikes are dangerous. That's why I stick to motorbikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Those too.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Those too.
Not for me. Only serious injury I've ever had was was caused by my wife's pregnancy. So kids/woman are dangerous
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I've had a lot of collisions and offs into the scenery which could have resulted in very serious injury but the worst I've ever had was some light bruising and gravel rash.
Just born lucky I guess.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I've had a lot of collisions and offs into the scenery which could have resulted in very serious injury but the worst I've ever had was some light bruising and gravel rash.
Just born lucky I guess.

See bikes aren't dangerous. It's the ground.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Ah yes, its not the fall that kills you, tis the abrupt deceleration.
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

I've only been riding for 2 years and have gotten the "dangerous story" many times now. so, when I see a scooter or motorcycle, I think, what can I do to minimize the danger. Basically, I think to myself, how can I be seen better?! that's the bottom line. not matching your bike, not wearing your leathers and being in all black because you blend into the background. you want to shoot out at the other driver, color-wise. some riders get this, but not enough. Skuuter gets it and he still looks good in his green and black! yeah, it's dangerous, but it's really fun and makes going from point A to point B a blast. Just make sure THEY see you. Do the highlighter thing. Or, wear your brightest orange T shirt. Wear a Pink Helmet. have a matching handkerchief half out of your back top box so it flutters in the wind. that's my two cents, for what it's worth.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Perhaps few actions are absolutely safe