No scooter riding for me for awhile.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

No scooter riding for me for awhile.

Post by katschamne »

About 3 weeks ago I bought my brand new red PCX150. Yay! My husband did drive it over to a parking lot so that I could ride it once. I wanted to be legal and get my license first so I decided to take the MSF course to help me get my "M" class license. I took the course this past weekend. Everyone said to me "Oh once you learn to drive a motorcycle you'll want to ditch the scooter and get a motorcycle." I can honestly say that I felt more comfortable and confident in 20 mins on the scooter then I did 10 hours on a motorcycle.

Anyways yesterday I was halfway through the second day of driving when I went to dismount the motorcycle. I went to get off and remembered that I didn't put the kickstand down. At the last minute I went to put it down but it was already too late and my foot became trapped under the motorcycle. One of the guys picked up the bike for me. I knew my foot was hurt but I just figured it was sprained and I would just walk it off. I iced my foot during the first break but the second break I didn't dare to take off my boot because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to put the boot back on. I was able to get back on the bike and ride but I was having a real hard time walking. I did complete the course although I just miss passing the driving part. The instructor looked at it and said that I should see a doctor even if I think it might be just a sprain. Well during the hour drive home it became apparent that I did indeed have to see a doctor. By the time I got home the only place open was the ER. The x-rays confirmed that I fractured the 5th metatarsal in two spots. So right now I have a temporary cast until I see an orthopedic doctor. Today would have been my first day back to work from my vacation as well. Right now I have a very pissed boss because I don't know when I can go back to work. I am unable to drive, I have to keep it up and use crutches because I can't put weight on my foot.

It looks like the chance of riding my scooter this year is going to be slim to none.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Re: No scooter riding for me for awhile.

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Im sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully you can heal quickly and get to riding again soon.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will heal fast. Would have been a great story if you had been able to pass the driving portion of the test, broken foot and all.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

Sorry to hear about the accident. I did a research paper back in college (early 70s) that showed more than 75% of motorcycle accidents happen to those who have been riding less than 6 months or were on a borrowed bike. Yeah, check off both of those.

Hope you heal fast and are able to get out on that scoot! Once you are able to put weight on the foot, a scooter will be much more functional for you than a motorcycle (no shifting or foot braking).

Take care,
Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
snake

Post by snake »

If it's any consolation, it's a very fashionable injury with footballers. Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen, Ashley Cole and Steven Gerrard have all broken their fifth metatarsals. For the Americans here, perhaps the one you'll know is David Beckham, but I am sorry - he broke his second metatarsal, not fifth.
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Hope you heal fast and know it always could have been worse. You'll be back at it in no time.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well, my wife has dropped her scooter multiple times, sometimes on her foot. Once she put her foot down at a stop sign and was too close to the gutter where sand and gravel had accumulated from all the rain we had been having. Her foot went one way and the bike the other, and I had to jump off of my bike quickly and pick up the scooter....off of her. She was black and blue and her ankle hurt, but luckily she did not break anything. It hurt her confidence more than anything. Well, to say that she has recovered is an understatement. Today we went on a 137 mile ride with her in the lead. She was pushing that little scooter to its limits and loving it! So, get well but don't be disheartened. Once you heal and get your license you will find the little PCX 150 to be more than adequate as apposed to motorcycles. She much prefers the scooter to any motorcycle she has ever ridden. I guess things are different in your state but here in Georgia you can take your motorcycle drivers test on a scooter, as long as it is larger than 49cc. She took her test on her PCX 150.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Big Bummer! While things are not looking good right now, you may be up and around in a month or two, just in time to catch the end of the riding season. and, ride your scooter you should do. it's called getting back on the horse. actually, a motorcycle that you were not used to was the horse that threw you, not your scooter. your scooter will be easier to ride once you start again because there is no shifting. just wear boots that go over your ankles once you are out of your boot cast. You can do it! think positive and see yourself scootering down the road!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Don't she that a broken toe should stop you riding a PCX, bike racers can manage fine on 250 horsepower beasts with broken limbs.
Jorge Lorenzo once finished on the podium with two broken ankles.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

SORRY to hear about Your Accident and Injury. Things like that happen occasionally. "Eventually", You'll be enjoying Your Scooter much more than a Motorcycle with less likelihood of this happening again. Hope You heal 100% and soon..... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Thank you guys for all the encouragement. I really needed it today. Last night I went to the orthopedic doctor and I'm now sporting the boot. Although I think it is hurting more today then it did yesterday. It would've been awesome if I had passed the course. I missed it by 4 points. I was disappointed that I didn't pass because I felt I had done much better then when we were practicing. But if I take the course again I will know what I'm supposed to do and what I did wrong. After class I showed the instructor a picture of the PCX 150 and he said if I go down to the DMV that I would have no problem passing the state test on it.

To be honest this could have happened on the scooter as well, but at least it was on one of their bikes.

I can't wait to ride my scooter, in my opinion the scooter is much more fun then a motorcycle. More maneuverable and less work, but my hubby would disagree.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Scooters are definitely easier than motorcycles. To me, that's a lot of why they're fun. The PCX is like a big bicycle, you just twist, steer, and go. No shifting, no countersteering, etc. :)

I like your attitude through this situation. It's easy to get discouraged and give up, but it takes a lot of strength to treat something like this as a learning experience. Best of luck to you, and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Don't she that a broken toe should stop you riding a PCX, bike racers can manage fine on 250 horsepower beasts with broken limbs.
Jorge Lorenzo once finished on the podium with two broken ankles.
Broken collarbone recently. Flown home to Barcelona to have it pinned and then raced on Sunday. Then broke it again. Then Pedrosa broke his.

My wife broke a finger along with other damage after 70mph off. She was riding two weeks later

Just a whole lot more carefully :D
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Hey welcome to the forum, sorry about the little mishap. Give it a few weeks, 6-8 likely, you'll be back.
Btw, we are close to each other if you are in Geneva, IL. I am in Yorkville.
We should organize a local group to ride together from this area. I know there are several in the area.
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

It's funny a couple of weeks ago I asked my husband to drive the scooter to work since I didn't have my license yet. Normally he drives his Honda Shadow. He humored me and drove it. While at work he dropped a large bearing on his left big toe and broke it. He was happy that he had the scooter that night. Two days later he was on his motorcycle shifting with his broken big toe. Right now I have a hard enough time walking in this "robo" boot and I don't want to try riding the scooter. I don't know if I could put all my weight on my broken foot to swing the other one over the scooter. I think that I will wait the 6-8 weeks before trying.

Thanks C-Note that sounds great. I had a friend that lived in Yorkville so I know where it is. I've been seeing more and more scooters on a daily basis around here. Although I haven't seen anyone yet on the the PCX.
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Katschamne, I have seen a few PCX's around here and there. I know there is a people in Sugar Grove and Morris that I've seen on here. I have also seen a few riding together over in Oswego, so I know they are around. There's also a BIG club up in Lake Geneva, WI. Apparently that area has more scoots per capita than anywhere else in the U.S. They do huge runs up there (several thousand) several times a year and smaller group rides weekly.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

katschamne wrote: I don't know if I could put all my weight on my broken foot to swing the other one over the scooter.
Just ride side saddle.
Skip to 1.45...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

gn2 wrote:
katschamne wrote: I don't know if I could put all my weight on my broken foot to swing the other one over the scooter.
Just ride side saddle.
Skip to 1.45...
That is crazy ... wonder if it will catch on.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

LOL. It's funny my husband joked about that the other day. I thinking that I'll skip riding side saddle.

C-Note I can't even imagine a huge group of scooters riding around the streets, but it would be fun. We should so look into getting people together in our area. The only PCX I've seen was on the back of a SUV as we were going to look at one at the dealer. I had to wait a week for a red one. Today I hobbled into the dealer to pick up my plates. I so can't wait to ride it.
Pedro-agogo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Pedro-agogo »

Best wishes to katschamne.
flowers.png
flowers.png (20.81 KiB) Viewed 4155 times
Speedy recovery.[/b][/color] :) :) :)