Convincing my mom

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Convincing my mom

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

poor little fellas...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

No matter what your age, if you have not had at least 20 years worth of experience the safety course is an important part of learning to ride. For teens I can only say that there is a lot to learn in this world, and some of it would be better learned on a supervised course than out in traffic.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

I'm glad I waited till I'm in my mid 30's to ride a petrol powered bike. I learnt a fair of roadcraft on a bicycle which I still ride more than the pcx.
Hyadum

Post by Hyadum »

SmellyTofu wrote:I'm glad I waited till I'm in my mid 30's to ride a petrol powered bike. I learnt a fair of roadcraft on a bicycle which I still ride more than the pcx.
Almost the same for me. In my teen years I used to ride bicycles all day, every weekend and holidays. Doing 50km per day, every day in a big city will teach you how to roll on the streets and know the city better that you could do it by car or motorcycle.

About safety, it's more about you as an individual that others. My first bike was a 650cc 80HP 225km/h Suzuki Bandit. It was heavy and fast. But I was 25, working a full job and having owned the car full permit since 18.
I knew what to expect and never pushed the bike. My first try for top speed was 1 year later, on a closed highway. Never had a road accident so far.

Edit: my mother still does not agree with any 2 wheels and worries alot, but I still do it and she cannot come up with any arguments regarding my choice except that others might hit me.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

you you wrote:

Do you have kids?
Yes.
Do you?[/quote]

Too many. I let them ride bikes to thin them out a little
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

you you wrote:
you you wrote:

Do you have kids?
Yes.
Do you?
Too many. I let them ride bikes to thin them out a little[/quote]

THAT'S funny! :D

Back in the 60s, when I got my first motorcycle, no one wore helmets. Most cars didn't have seat belts. We swam in the river. Had "firecracker wars." We played football in the street. We talked to strangers; in fact, we were told to be nice to them. No doubt, it "thinned the herd" a bit, but it was also survival of the fittest. ;)

And, when my dear ol' Mother said I couldn't live in the house if I came home with a motorcycle (at 14), I was prepared for the "heave-ho", if necessary.
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

CaptnJim wrote:Back in the 60s, when I got my first motorcycle, no one wore helmets. Most cars didn't have seat belts. We swam in the river. Had "firecracker wars." We played football in the street. We talked to strangers; in fact, we were told to be nice to them. No doubt, it "thinned the herd" a bit, but it was also survival of the fittest. ;) And, when my dear ol' Mother said I couldn't live in the house if I came home with a motorcycle (at 14), I was prepared for the "heave-ho", if necessary.
Maddiedog ... CaptnJim's post is affirmation that we need a 'Like" button. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

:lol: Doesn't your reply count? ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

maddiedog wrote::lol: Doesn't your reply count? ;)
I would imagine that it does. And like someone else said on another thread, a 'Like' button might only serve to reduce some of the interaction we have on these threads. Thanks for heading up such a great forum!
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

kramnala58 wrote: I would imagine that it does. And like someone else said on another thread, a 'Like' button might only serve to reduce some of the interaction we have on these threads. Thanks for heading up such a great forum!
+1
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I hear this question a lot on many different forums. It is really hard to convince a mom (or even a wife at time) to do something that she has convictions against. Doing research is a start but in the end you might just have to wait until you are out of the house. Really 3 years is not a lifetime, by then you might decide that the scooter isn't right for you.

Here in Illinois the MSF course run by the state is $20+3 processing fee. Other places has the course as well but you have to pay a much higher fee. At the end of the our state ran course you get the option on whether you get your $20 back or donate it to fund the course. I'm taking it tonight. The first day is from 6pm to 10pm. Then for the next two days it will be from 7am to 4pm. At the end of the class if you pass both the written and the driving part you will receive a completion card. Here in Illinois once you receive that card you take it to the Secretary of State's Office and you will get your motorcycle licence, after a fee of course.

They provide the motorcycle and a helmet (I bought my own helmet, I'm afraid of cooties). You have to have pants, long sleeves, gloves and boots that come up over the ankles for the course. In Illinois you have to already have your driver's license if you are under 18 years old in order to take the course. I looked into my it for my 16 year old, right now he only has his permit so he wasn't able to take it with me. The hubby took his course in April. I wish I had taken it at the same time, but at the time I wasn't interested in the scooter.

Right now my pretty red scooter is sitting in the garage until I can get my license. Of course I look at and play with but until I'm legal it says in the garage. If you want to look into the MSF course, here is the website. Click on your state and do some research. http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

Good luck with your quest.
ryanday2

Post by ryanday2 »

katschamne wrote:I hear this question a lot on many different forums. It is really hard to convince a mom (or even a wife at time) to do something that she has convictions against. Doing research is a start but in the end you might just have to wait until you are out of the house. Really 3 years is not a lifetime, by then you might decide that the scooter isn't right for you.

Here in Illinois the MSF course run by the state is $20+3 processing fee. Other places has the course as well but you have to pay a much higher fee. At the end of the our state ran course you get the option on whether you get your $20 back or donate it to fund the course. I'm taking it tonight. The first day is from 6pm to 10pm. Then for the next two days it will be from 7am to 4pm. At the end of the class if you pass both the written and the driving part you will receive a completion card. Here in Illinois once you receive that card you take it to the Secretary of State's Office and you will get your motorcycle licence, after a fee of course.

They provide the motorcycle and a helmet (I bought my own helmet, I'm afraid of cooties). You have to have pants, long sleeves, gloves and boots that come up over the ankles for the course. In Illinois you have to already have your driver's license if you are under 18 years old in order to take the course. I looked into my it for my 16 year old, right now he only has his permit so he wasn't able to take it with me. The hubby took his course in April. I wish I had taken it at the same time, but at the time I wasn't interested in the scooter.

Right now my pretty red scooter is sitting in the garage until I can get my license. Of course I look at and play with but until I'm legal it says in the garage. If you want to look into the MSF course, here is the website. Click on your state and do some research. http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

In my state you only have to be 16, so maybe I can wait it out until next summer and then take the course then. Thank you for all of the insight and help! It is all much appreciated.
"I'm very comfortable in my skin."
- Celine Dion
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ryanday2 wrote:
katschamne wrote:I hear this question a lot on many different forums. It is really hard to convince a mom (or even a wife at time) to do something that she has convictions against. Doing research is a start but in the end you might just have to wait until you are out of the house. Really 3 years is not a lifetime, by then you might decide that the scooter isn't right for you.

In my state you only have to be 16, so maybe I can wait it out until next summer and then take the course then. Thank you for all of the insight and help! It is all much appreciated.

Maybe, maybe not. In the meantime there's still bittie
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

I get a little upset when I tell somebody I bought a scooter and right away they think I had a DUI. I know in some states they allow the use of a scooter (up to a certain size) but why assume anybody that has one is a drunk? In my state you need a license, registration and insurance.

Also, anybody who turns their nose up when you even mention scooter, obviously never rode a PCX, Burgman or any good sized scooter for that matter. It's obvious to me from reading the posts in this forum that there are many of you who've ridden big bikes that also enjoy riding scooters. Maybe there are some who ride them out of necessity but I'm sure you still enjoy riding.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

PKrellner wrote:I get a little upset when I tell somebody I bought a scooter and right away they think I had a DUI. I know in some states they allow the use of a scooter (up to a certain size) but why assume anybody that has one is a drunk?
In some US sates and in Canada it is against the law to operate any motorized transportation type machine under the influence on public streets & waterways, including riding lawn mowers, motorized bikes (electric ones too) and the like.
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I think the main problem with the scooter reputations is the fact that a lot of states, not Ohio, allow you to ride a 50cc scoot with no license, test or practice & people think they are just "toys" & don't take them seriously. You can rent them at resorts freely & end up badly injured. 40 mph is fast enough to injure your head or break an arm or leg etc. Ohio states that all scooters, 50cc & above(not mopeds) are motorcycles & require the same attention as it should.
Most people have no idea how powerful these things are? My son followed me a few days a go on my PCX & he couldn't believe how quick it was. Others had no idea that my former Silverwing would ride on the highway & exceed 100 mph.
To the general public, scooters will always be toys & not motorcycles. In my opinion the "scooter" name causes confusion. It has too many identities. Is it a push toy, electric push toy, power chair etc. A motorcycle & a car have one identity & so should our machines.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
ryanday2

Post by ryanday2 »

So, after reading my last paper, she has starting talking to me about scooters and motorcycles, and is becoming more open minded about the topic. She has agreed to let me take the MSF course next summer, and I have a good feeling that she might even let me get a scooter! I have a slide show of the Honda PCX and the Piaggio mp3 on my laptop for my desktop, and she was like "That thing has two wheels on the front! I'd rather you get that one!" Oh lord! Can anyone tell me which scooter would be better for a beginner rider? I have read that the mp3 has huge maintenance issues and is super heavy. Thanks for all of the help so far!
- Celine Dion
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

You're right on both accounts with the mp3. In my opinion a beginner shouldn't start out on anything big or heavy. Size moves can come with time. Don't let the 2 wheels in front fool you. While you don't need to balance at stops, the wheels can still slide out from under you, just like a standard 2 wheeler. It still turns the same way via leaning.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Also keep in mind that you will have maintenance costs and insurance on any scooter. Also, these are considered 'maxi scooters', which put them in a different category than the little Vespa types that were in the movies such as 'The Bourne Ultimatum'. The PCX 150 can and does go fast enough to get on the freeway. Even the 125 is fast enough to be dangerous, so it is very important to treat these scooters with respect. Keep in mind that if you can not do your own maintenance it will cost you about $200 each time it is serviced, which starts at 600 miles. That is because all of the plastic has to come off in order for the valves to be adjusted. That is a lot of work. Still, it is one of the best scooters on the market and would still be running strong when you went off to college, which is also good because you need cheap transportation there. Your only problem would be taking girls on a date. Some do not like any 2 wheel transportation. Oh, and one more thing. Here in Georgia it is $250 -$350 to take the motorcycle safety course, so prices vary by state. Check your state's prices and other requirements online so you won't be surprised.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ryanday2

Post by ryanday2 »

Alright, thanks for the advice! On the MSF website for Virginia it says a $125 tuition, and a $20 registration fee. I will just start saving up for gear now! Thanks again EVERYONE for all of the help!
- Celine Dion