I feel naked

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jhois1
Regular User
Regular User

I feel naked

Post by Jhois1 »

The PCX150 is at the dealer for its 1st oil change and valve inspection, so I am feeling a little off :lol:

I am being charged $200.00 for the oil change and valve adjustment. He was going to charge more ($225.00 + oil).....but gave me "a deal" :roll: Really!?!

What have you guys been charged for your 1st visit? I can't fathom to understand why after 600 miles, this is not covered under a warranty item.. I know, I know...everybody charges, but that doesn't make it right. Anyone else have an opinion?
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: I feel naked

Post by Taz »

Mine is $80 per service but I tell them not to bother with valve inspection which is a costly exercise. I do get oil changed each service. I believe the new Honda 500 bikes (CBR500RR, CB500 and CB500X) have 24,000km service intervals (15,000 miles).
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Is that service interval or valve clearance check interval?
The two are often very different.
For example the VCCI on the Piaggio X10 is 40,000 km which is every fourth service.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Jhois1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Jhois1 »

Taz - if you don't have the valves inspected at the 600 mile timeline, doesn't that affect your warranty period? I was under the impression that you need to have this done to comply with the warranty.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

The dealer I use still stamps the warranty book. Im just trying to keep my costs down but not saying everyone should be doing it. But I think its crazy I got the PCX as a cheap commuter and then to be gouged with big and frequent service costs. Next bike I get I will be considering service intervals. The 15000 miles for the new Honda CB500 range is the service interval here, not sure what is the VCCI interval. They are only selling the X10 500 here in Oz not the smaller ones which is a shame.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Taz wrote:not sure what is the VCCI interval
Its an acronym I just invented.
Valve Clearance Check Interval
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Yeh I understood that but am not sure what is the VCCI for the new Hondas.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

:lol: I would only have charged you $100 ;)
BattlebornScooterist

Post by BattlebornScooterist »

Since I do not have the temperment to carefully take off all the plastic bodywork, I will pay Honda to do it for me and do it right. I would just break something.

The bodywork seems to be the bulk of the work involved when getting inside the scoot, and I bet that is where all the labor costs go.
Curators do it Historically!
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Get a service manual, DIY. Not that difficult.

Btw, I'm in Yorkville, IL.
Jhois1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Jhois1 »

C-Note - Very cool...only 15 minutes away.
BattlebornScooterist

Post by BattlebornScooterist »

I can do the oil change no sweat, but checking the valves will be beyond my ability.

My thoughts are that I will do the initial 600 mi checkup at the dealer and have them check the valves then.
Curators do it Historically!
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

Taz wrote:The dealer I use still stamps the warranty book. Im just trying to keep my costs down but not saying everyone should be doing it. But I think its crazy I got the PCX as a cheap commuter and then to be gouged with big and frequent service costs. Next bike I get I will be considering service intervals. The 15000 miles for the new Honda CB500 range is the service interval here, not sure what is the VCCI interval. They are only selling the X10 500 here in Oz not the smaller ones which is a shame.
Warranty book? I didn't get no stinking warranty book!
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

PKrellner wrote:
Taz wrote:The dealer I use still stamps the warranty book. Im just trying to keep my costs down but not saying everyone should be doing it. But I think its crazy I got the PCX as a cheap commuter and then to be gouged with big and frequent service costs. Next bike I get I will be considering service intervals. The 15000 miles for the new Honda CB500 range is the service interval here, not sure what is the VCCI interval. They are only selling the X10 500 here in Oz not the smaller ones which is a shame.
Warranty book? I didn't get no stinking warranty book!
Neither did I. All I got is 1.- the owner's manual and 2.- a how to ride safely booklet with the Honda name on the cover.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

In the USA, or "colonies" as some would say 8) , the warranty is good regardless of whether the dealer does the service or not. Do yourself a HUGE favor and get the service manual. You can get it for $40 from the dealer or online at helminc.com. You can also get it cheaper from other sources online.

Adjusting the valves is incredibly easy. I've never adjusted a valve before until i got my PCX. Do a youtube search for adjusting honda valves. Taking off all the plastic bits to get to the valves is harder than adjusting them, although, overall the entire process is easy, just time consuming. The only special tool you need is a feeler gauge which you can get at any hardware store for $5. The service manual mentions using some kind of special wrench, but that is not necessary.

Also the owners manual suggests service intervals every 2500 miles but if you look closely it is only for inspection purposes. The only time you actually need to do anything is oil/spark plug changes every 5k miles and the drive belt every 15k miles. I personally only do the inspections every 5k miles. Mostly because in the summer i sometimes ride 2500 or more miles a month.
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Jhois1 wrote:C-Note - Very cool...only 15 minutes away.
Yep, near 47 & 71 (NW) in Greenbriar subdivision. I generally use my scoot 'to & from' work to Cat. Getting just under 100 mpg so far. This is my second season on the PCX.

I haven't seen too many PCX's on the road, just a handful. I do see other though, i.e. Vespa, etc. I guess gas prices has other thinking too.

There is another guy on here from Morris, don't remember his handle though. We should hook up some time.
hectyc302

Post by hectyc302 »

K. So u guys are pretty much sayin that we could skip the valve check ???
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

hectyc302 wrote:K. So u guys are pretty much sayin that we could skip the valve check ???
Yes. Change the oil and ride it.
hectyc302

Post by hectyc302 »

Hey you you lol ..how many miles ur pcx have ? And have u service it urself?? What have u done??
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

hectyc302 wrote:Hey you you lol ..how many miles ur pcx have ? And have u service it urself?? What have u done??

My PCX only has about 3k on it but I tend to have a different way to run vehicles. Just different and not for everyone. It goes like this. Ignore the warranty as the savings on not having a factory service are huge.

Change the oil at 1/2 to 2/3 service intervals. Change any cambelt religiously. Sell at 100 to 120k. This has worked for 35 years. Apart from one water pump and coincidentally an airbag ecu this week servicing wouldn't have helped this

Your probably more likely to sell any vehicle with tens of thousands of miles of good use left on it or write it off than any teeny weeny servicing issues

To each their own though