Video: Emergency Mid-Corner Braking on a PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Video: Emergency Mid-Corner Braking on a PCX

Post by gn2 »

Didn't think much of that at all.
Front brake first then not too much on the rear brake?
The guy seems to have no clue about how combined brakes work.
Not enough emphasis on how to avoid getting into a situation where you need to apply the brakes.
Prevention better than cure.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

He did manage to stress the most important thing though--straighten the bike up first before braking. That is the way we practiced this exercise during the MSF course.

My brakes seem to work best when I apply them both evenly while gradually increasing grip pressure. That will stop me PDQ.

Don
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

GeezyRider wrote:He did manage to stress the most important thing though--straighten the bike up first before braking. That is the way we practiced this exercise during the MSF course.

My brakes seem to work best when I apply them both evenly while gradually increasing grip pressure. That will stop me PDQ.

Don
I agree. We went through this drill numerous times during the MSF course. Straighten just before braking was what we were taught. Both brakes applied at the same time and you come to a safe stop.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Both together in the dry, but apply the rear first in the wet.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yep we have combined brake systems on our PCX. This is good that you brought this up khaosaming and worth mentioning especially for those that have Not taken a course in riding or....were just not familiar with combination vs. individual(?) braking systems. I find it odd that the instructor didn't mention the bike's combination braking prior to his "how to."
gn2, what would you say is the best way to emergency stop your PCX in a curve/turn?
Straighten the bike up, "squeeze" both levers with a tad more on the front....OR, Straighten the bike up, & "squeeze" both levers equally?
I personally like the safety factor of the combo brakes, I thank you Honda for this. Bet they've saved many a life out there 8)
Okay, was just about to post this and thought :roll: I wonder what's the downside having combination brakes?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

For the PCX I would say straighten the bike up, in the dry pull the left lever as hard as you can possibly pull it and apply modulated pressure to the right lever at the same time.
In the wet less pressure on the left applying it first before applying the right.
Remember that picking it up and braking will mean running wide potentially into the path of oncoming vehicles, depending on the nature of the hazard it may be better to adopt a different strategy.
Anywho... always ride at a speed from which you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear ahead.
When riding at higher speeds on open roads give yourself not less than a four second gap to the vehicle in front.
Give yourself space, look at the big picture, keep your eyes moving and never assume.
And always remember, the sun does not have no prisoners.

former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

gn2 wrote:For the PCX I would say straighten the bike up, in the dry pull the left lever as hard as you can possibly pull it and apply modulated pressure to the right lever at the same time.
In the wet less pressure on the left applying it first before applying the right.
Remember that picking it up and braking will mean running wide potentially into the path of oncoming vehicles, depending on the nature of the hazard it may be better to adopt a different strategy.
Anywho... always ride at a speed from which you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear ahead.
When riding at higher speeds on open roads give yourself not less than a four second gap to the vehicle in front.
Give yourself space, look at the big picture, keep your eyes moving and never assume.

I am shaking in my office chair right now just having watched this video. Very sobering to watch.
I can't get this out of my mind.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Shaking due to laughing hysterically I hope :)

If you look at the shadows on the road the bike is following at roughly one second gap.
That's far too close.
tildarama1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tildarama1 »

I have found many of the HART and Scootersales videos to be very useful, more so than my CBT for the most part.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

1- too close
2- too fast
3- not paying attention
4- not reading the situation. Delivery vehicles stop to deliver things. As bin lorries stop to pick things up.
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

Hate to say it but ive nearly done this several times. Once glancing at a satnav just as someone braked hard and a couple of times coming to a roundabout where im looking more at traffic approaching on the roundabout rather than whats going on in front of me.

I'm a much better driver (car and scooter) since having some experience on two wheels, CBT should be part of the car test!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

The sun does not have no prisoners?

I don't not now we're to start with that one eyes dont
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

gn2 wrote:For the PCX I would say straighten the bike up, in the dry pull the left lever as hard as you can possibly pull it and apply modulated pressure to the right lever at the same time.

I totally agree with this. I don't do much mid-corner braking (try to avoid it as much as I can), but I always apply the rear before I apply the front brake. I have been told, besides, that this is what is considered proper braking in any motorbike, first rear, immediately after apply the front.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

gn2 thanks for the great response! Think I Got it, and I'm certain I apply my left brake first (always). As far as being placed in a possible dangerous position "during or after" a cornering emergency stop, what might be "the other strategy" taken to avoid whatever lurks there? Like.....Be aware of an escape route? :roll: (i'm getting a bit uncomfortable now & hate to ask) o_O Or What?____? (Now taking deeeep breath). :roll:
The video?? Omygosh! I can't even comment. Okay, I will. The guys a _____! Totally Distracted by putzing with his (probably new) talk device! His lane position was improper for the turn ahead. He's a mere second and a half behind the truck! Did he apply his brakes at all? Let's not even talk about the Sun :roll: Comment(s) over. Geez
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-techn ... index.html

Is Honda saying the left brake is all you need?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Urbanian wrote:http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-techn ... index.html

Is Honda saying the left brake is all you need?
No.
If that was the message it would be conveyed by the absence of a right brake lever.