Big Brother to PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Big Brother to PCX

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:61mpg!!! My car averages a genuine 52mpg
That's because you're using genuine gallons, and not in the Jag.
The 61mpg refers to the colonial short measure.
Urbanian wrote:Without HP numbers, it’s hard to compare power-to-weight ratio, but at a glance PCX has the advantage.
Honda PCX 150 has 10kw & 129kg = 12.9kg/kw
Honda NSS 300 has 18kw & 194kg = 10.8kg/kw

Add the weight of a rider and the PCX will only ever see the Forza's rather stylish twin tail lights as they disappear into the distance.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Link no good.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The link is working for me :?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
The_Head

Post by The_Head »

I thought about it, but will probably stick with my PCX. A 432 lb scooter is too big IMO. and I have my PCX paid off which is nice.

I think the best of both worlds would be the PCX with the big bore kit that PCXdemon has been writing about.
shivayash

Big Brother to PCX

Post by shivayash »

Don't mention big bore kits, or you'll get into trouble from Gn2. ;-)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Plenty boring guff about big bore kits in the performance section.
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Don'y know if anyone posted a comparison, but here's one, side by side.
http://powersports.honda.com/2014/forza/compare.aspx
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

The Forza looks good, but it is much heavier than the PCX, and costs too much for something with 14 inch wheels.
I'm sure Honda will sell far more than 3 PCX's for every Forza. Don't get me wrong, I really like the looks of it, But - - -
At a msrp of $6099 with ABS, why not just move up a notch and get something with 17 inch tires, the CTX700N with a msrp of $6999?
I want simple light weight city transportation that is legal on the freeway if necessary, so the PCX 150 is ideal for me.
If for some reason I wanted a 2 wheeled vehicle with an automatic transmission that was larger, I would go for the CTX700N, not the Forza, and not the SilverWing at $9270. But maybe that's just me.
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

former50cc wrote:The Forza looks good, but it is much heavier than the PCX, and costs too much for something with 14 inch wheels.
I'm sure Honda will sell far more than 3 PCX's for every Forza. Don't get me wrong, I really like the looks of it, But - - -
At a msrp of $6099 with ABS, why not just move up a notch and get something with 17 inch tires, the CTX700N with a msrp of $6999?
I want simple light weight city transportation that is legal on the freeway if necessary, so the PCX 150 is ideal for me.
If for some reason I wanted a 2 wheeled vehicle with an automatic transmission that was larger, I would go for the CTX700N, not the Forza, and not the SilverWing at $9270. But maybe that's just me.
Correction: with auomatic and abs, the msrp of the CTX700N DCT ABS is $7,999.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

former50cc wrote:
former50cc wrote:The Forza looks good, but it is much heavier than the PCX, and costs too much for something with 14 inch wheels.
Correction: with auomatic and abs, the msrp of the CTX700N DCT ABS is $7,999.
I don't want to get gb2 too wound up but I suspect he might agree in part

There is quite a lot more that you could do with this kind of money
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

The_Head wrote:I thought about it, but will probably stick with my PCX. A 432 lb scooter is too big IMO. and I have my PCX paid off which is nice.

I think the best of both worlds would be the PCX with the big bore kit that PCXdemon has been writing about.
Just had a nice little ride in the mountains this morning with a bunch of scoots like: Derby GP1 250 modded, Vespa 300 Gts, Sym HD 200ie EVO, and super modded Aprilia SR50 with Polini 68cc kit,crank,head,exhaust..
'My Pcx is on par performance wise with Derby GP1 250 and Vespa 300ie', its bit quicker everywhere than Sym 200 and SR50 is almost unbeatable thru the twisties if you let him in front of you...
AND only costed me $1000 extra to match 250-300cc scoots. Doubt you could trade in your PCX and throw extra $1000 to get that performance from another scoot aaaand retain small Pcx frame,size,lightness and practicability.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

former50cc wrote:At a msrp of $6099 with ABS, why not just move up a notch and get something with 17 inch tires, the CTX700N with a msrp of $6999?
Because it has chain drive, no internal storage, no weather protection, a truly crap engine, dreadful riding position, no centre stand, looks like shit and the final nail in coffin, it isn't a scooter.
Oh, and the CTX isn't available in the UK.
And you may want to look at the price again, the CTX700N with DCT and ABS is $7999
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

Pcsdemon, I think you're on to something.
Personally, I think that within the Honda offering of automatic transmission bikes, the next real logical upsize that I could justify is the CTX700N DCT ABS, which is not even in the class of scooters.
The PCX 150 really is in an excellent sweet spot of price, power, weight, handling, and excitement.
You could buy two PCX 150's for the cost of the next logical upsize.
I think that is what CaptnJim and his wife did. They got two great scooters for the price of one of the next logical upsize, in my opinion.
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

gn2 wrote:
former50cc wrote:At a msrp of $6099 with ABS, why not just move up a notch and get something with 17 inch tires, the CTX700N with a msrp of $6999?
Because it has chain drive, no internal storage, no weather protection, a truly crap engine, dreadful riding position, no centre stand, looks like shit and the final nail in coffin, it isn't a scooter.
Oh, and the CTX isn't available in the UK.
And you may want to look at the price again, the CTX700N with DCT and ABS is $7999
I stand corrected. You are right, I was wrong. You would have to look at the CTX700N with DCT and ABS at $7999 as a fair comparison.
My apologies!
All I meant to say is that it would be hard to get me out of that price range sweet spot of the PCX 150 or 125. To me, the PCX is the ideal scooter size.
To go bigger, you are talking serious motorcycle.
Last edited by former50cc on Sat May 18, 2013 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The PCX has definitely proven to be an excellent wee scooter for its intended purpose.
I consider the £2200 I paid for mine money well spent and coupled with the three year 0% finance deal, a bit of a bargain.
Remains to be seen just how good the Forza is and what the UK price will be.
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

Certainly, I'm sure I would be proud to own and ride a Forza. I'm sure it's a great machine. Heavy, but great. Certainly capable of higher comfortable cruising speed than my PCX. But I ride in the city primarily, I rarely would need to go above 65 miles per hour for relative short stretches.
I'm just really happy with my PCX, and here in the U.S., the price difference between the PCX and the Forza would be almost (not exactly, but in close proximity) the same as buying a new PCX for my daughter.
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

Sorry about my mistake in quoting the pricing of the CTX700N with DCT.
Why am I always f-ng up?
The_Head

Post by The_Head »

Pcxdemon wrote: AND only costed me $1000 extra to match 250-300cc scoots. Doubt you could trade in your PCX and throw extra $1000 to get that performance from another scoot aaaand retain small Pcx frame,size,lightness and practicability.
The size and weight is what I like about the PCX. It's right in the middle imo. My only wish is it had a slightly bigger engine. I am still very happy with mine 95% of the time though.
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

The_Head wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote: AND only costed me $1000 extra to match 250-300cc scoots. Doubt you could trade in your PCX and throw extra $1000 to get that performance from another scoot aaaand retain small Pcx frame,size,lightness and practicability.
The size and weight is what I like about the PCX. It's right in the middle imo.
Agreed.
To go larger engine without significantly increasing the weight and price, you are not talking lightweight scooter with an automatic, you are talking regular manual gear shifting (or perhaps less expensive scooter offerings from China). But I am a scooter user because I want to handle busy urban stop and go traffic without hassle. Honda came up with a winner in the PCX, as far as my needs are concerned.
I live in a suburb of Seattle, Washington. There are a few infrequent times when I might actually need to get on the freeway, but 95% of the need I have is for 50 miles per hour or less, and most frequently in stop and go urban traffic. I'm happy my scooter can handle freeway speeds of 65, but I am an urban and suburban commuter. I also do the family grocery shopping on the scooter.
The PCX is a winner here.
Seriously, If I actually wanted to specialize in multiple days of long distance cruising, there is no reason why I wouldn't look at a cruising motorcycle with wheels larger than the Forza. Just sayin'.
But, again, I'm a PCX guy.