Interesting incident with the PCX this morning...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ItsaHonda
Regular User
Regular User

Interesting incident with the PCX this morning...

Post by ItsaHonda »

I pulled the PCX out of the garage this morning and went to turn the key to the seat/fuel cap open position and accidentally turned it all the way to full ignition. I quickly turned it back, but before I opened the seat, I had remembered that I may have possibly left my helmet in the Burgman... so I took the key out to open the seat on the other bike. I opned the seat to find an empty space... so back to the PCX. I turned the key again and don't you know I did it again. After retrieving my helmet, I closed the seat and again turned the key to full ignition a third time... but then I realized I left something in the house. By the 4th time, I was finally ready to start the scooter... I pushed the button and waited for it to quickly and quietly come to life like it ALWAYS does... but to my utter surprise, it didn't! I tried starting it again, and it sounded like the engine wanted to turn over but it just wouldn't. Finally, I tried again and the engine was just barely running... but running none the less. After a few moments the rpms picked up and it seemed to be running normally. I rode it to work without further incident. I was puzzled most of the day, I thought maybe the torrential downpour I had been caught in the day before may have gotten something wet. However, I think I figured out what happened... when you turn the igntion ON, the fuel injection sprays a bit of fuel into the cylinder. Apparently, I had flooded it by repeatedly turning on/off the ignition without starting it. Makes sense to me... it has been starting and running fine the rest of the day. Just thought I'd share that as it really did take me by surprise.
Alex
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650
2011 Honda PCX 125
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Interesting incident with the PCX this morning...

Post by Taz »

yeh its happened to me a couple of times when showing idle stop feature to folk. Just follow the handbook's flooded motor section (ie crank it with full throttlle) and it fixes it.
The_Head

Post by The_Head »

I think this has happened to mine before too.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Thanks for sharing. I had something similar happen. Mine hesitated to start. On the second attempt it started but was running so slowly that the headlight didn't come on. I revved the throttle and the lights came on and the engine ran normal. I could never get it to do it again. Always wondered what the deal was. Now to test this theory... ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It's the ECU trying to protect the catalytic convertor from unspent fuel?
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Well i tried cycling the key on and off 4 times but it started right up like normal. ikd what the deal was.