my winter transport

When weather goes to crap, you still have to get there somehow...

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: my winter transport

Post by maddiedog »

That's possible too, but the initial cost of purchase, and therefore also the taxes, would be much higher.

I don't think I could ever get a Landy, you can't get diesels over here and the gas ones here have left too bad a taste in my mouth.

The Toyota FJ Cruiser is really awesome, it has the same chassis as the Hilux and is just as indestructible, but again, can't get it in diesel. :(
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
spongebobnopants

my winter transport

Post by spongebobnopants »

maddiedog wrote:That's possible too, but the initial cost of purchase, and therefore also the taxes, would be much higher.

I don't think I could ever get a Landy, you can't get diesels over here and the gas ones here have left too bad a taste in my mouth.

The Toyota FJ Cruiser is really awesome, it has the same chassis as the Hilux and is just as indestructible, but again, can't get it in diesel. :(
Up till the 2010 FJ they required premium gas. 2010 and forward got direct injection and you can run 87oct. With the price difference between diesel and 87 it's probably a wash. And newer diesels are going to be direct injection and with the government forcing bio mixtures over 6%, it just trouble waiting to happen. Not worth the headache IMO. Have you considered an older H3 Alpha or H3T Alpha?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I want a diesel for durability and reliability more than for fuel economy (although fuel economy is a plus). The option of full biodiesel intrigues me too, I have a friend that has a VW rabbit and a F250 that both run entirely on biodiesel. He hasn't paid for fuel in years, he just loads up a vat he has with used oils from local fast food chains, strains it, processes it, and uses it. Sure there was a $1000+ investment up front, but he has saved that 10 times over in the last 3 years.

I don't particularly like the H3... If I got a gas SUV, I'd just go with the FJ or a Tacoma, I think... More likely the Tacoma, because FJs can be costly.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
spongebobnopants

my winter transport

Your talking recycled... The soybean bio that Illinois is shoving down the throats of folks here's crystallizes and clogs newer direct injection systems when it gets cold out. If your talking older school diesel, your probably fine. Newer gasoline motors like in the FJ/Tocoma will yield you the similar reliability IMO and outlast the body.

I didn't have it in me to get a GM ever again after the government bailout, but it turns out the H3 is one damn capable vehicle, but I'd only consider the rare Alpha with V8 and front locker. In stock format they have better ground clearance/approach/descend and turning radius than the FJ.

If you end up going with and FJ, consider '08 and newer. Up to some '07's they had weak rear ends and many complaints about fender bulging (ie: frame not holding up). Who knows, could be all the yahoo's jumping them. Lol.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

my winter transport

Post by Alibally »

We have a couple of customers at my work that use old veg oil from the local fish and chip shop. You can smell them coming from about 2 miles away. But seriously if you are going to use old veg oil then the vehicle should be serviced more often. You will always get some fuel bypassing the piston rings and going into the engine oil. Diesel evaporates at a far lower temperature than veg oil so it won't dilute the engine oil as the veg oil will. Engine contaminated with veg oil won't lubricate the engine correctly so premature wear can occur. It's not recommended for the cdi. (common rail injection) engines as the tolerances of the injectors and high pressure pumps like a good quality diesel as it also lubricates the pump as well.
spongebobnopants

my winter transport

Alibally wrote:It's not recommended for the cdi. (common rail injection) engines as the tolerances of the injectors and high pressure pumps like a good quality diesel as it also lubricates the pump as well.
bingo these things are upwards of 2000psi and if you clog the injectors you're kinda screwed. VW has been using these since '06 in the states IIRC.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Hmm, maybe I should do a bit more research then. Perhaps that's why my friend's cars are both old... :| He was suggesting biodiesel was the way of the future... Perhaps not. I'll look into it more...

Thanks for the tips on the FJ models, spongebob. I doubt I'll be able to afford one any time soon though. :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Shortly after TopGear did a feature on running diesels on straight vegetable oil, the price of said vegetable oil in supermarkets shot through the roof.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

im seriously thinking about putting the used oil out my fryer into my golf now :lol:
ImageImage ImageImage Image
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

I think for the older diesels, all you have to do is run it through a coffee filter.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

my winter transport

Post by Woolley »

Mines a 1998 golf so should be fine. I'm a bit apprehensive though...
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I'd do a bit of research. My buddy's Rabbit is old (80's model) and all he did was put a heater to heat the oil before it goes through the carb and add a larger tank with a built-in removable filter to get all the crap out... He then can dump straight veggie oil in (and used to), but for the last few years, he has been using two big tanks with some sort of chemical to process the fuel to make it burn cleaner.

I think the purpose of the heater is to try to prevent the oil from evaporating, like Alibally suggested may be a problem.

My friend's a gearhead, but even still, the Rabbit has over 300k miles, probably half of which has been on veggie oil. He's doing something right, or the thing would have been dead years ago. :lol:
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Theres probably some dumbass law against it here. And it would probably make my insurance void. Cus you know, it could cause accidents. Just like a spoiler...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

(UK) The only area of legislative concern is taxation.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort ... e=document
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

my winter transport

Post by Woolley »

gn2 wrote:(UK) The only area of legislative concern is taxation.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort ... e=document
That whole page is exactly what pisses me off about this country. Why the hell should we have to tell the government and pay extra money just to put something different in our fuel tank??? I mean it's MY car, why cant I put whatever I want in it? It's ridiculous.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Woolley wrote:I mean it's MY sheep, why cant I put whatever I want in it? It's ridiculous.
The law exists because a democratically elected government enacted it.
Similar tax laws exist in most other countries.
As the old saying goes there are but two things you can avoid, death and taxes.
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

maddiedog wrote:I'd do a bit of research. My buddy's Rabbit is old (80's model) and all he did was put a heater to heat the oil before it goes through the carb and add a larger tank with a built-in removable filter to get all the crap out... He then can dump straight veggie oil in (and used to), but for the last few years, he has been using two big tanks with some sort of chemical to process the fuel to make it burn cleaner.

I think the purpose of the heater is to try to prevent the oil from evaporating, like Alibally suggested may be a problem.

My friend's a gearhead, but even still, the Rabbit has over 300k miles, probably half of which has been on veggie oil. He's doing something right, or the thing would have been dead years ago. :lol:
carb? if it runs on vegetable oil, it's a diesel :P

afaik the purpose of heating the oil is to make it lower the viscosity enough to enable it to be injected
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good catch, I'm still thinking in terms of gas engines.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Diesels can have carbs though.
Back when I were a lad I built model planes which had diesel engines with carburettors.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

We're clearly getting massively ripped off if all thats needed to make a car go is cheap, simple vegetable oil. But I suppose that was never a secret.