Honda vs Givi Accessories

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Honda vs Givi Accessories

Post by khaosaming »

gn2 wrote:Big weights on the racks of lightweight bikes is a proven recipe for thoroughly evil handling.
Honda say 10kg but hey-ho wtf do they know about designing, producing and selling ptw's.
-------------------
Honda knows how to design good scooters and such but they also know how to avoid civil liability. I think those ridiculously low weight limits (on my Kawasaki rack: 3 kg) are there in case somebody would like to sue them for damage and injury if they endorsed cargos that could theoretically be close to or might even surpass the bike's capabilities given the right combination of misluck and stupidity. In reality, they can take much more than just a few kilos.

Here in Thailand, an ordinary workhorse like the Wave motorcycle (underbone) can perfectly well accommodate three people or more. I've seen a whole family of three children, husband and wife to mount a single Honda Wave and get away with it no helmets on. The PCX has this abominable hump that I think was partially designed to NOT facilitate mounting more than one passenger comfortably.

That said, it is true that a vehicle behaves differently under load. My Kawasaki W650 would start to wobble if I went beyond a certain speed with the side trunks attached. Without them, it was much more stable.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

khaosaming's right.

It's so that they're not liable when idiots like that Maddiedog guy mounts an HP Z400 tower to the back of his scooter and rides it across Atlanta to take to a customer deployment. That tower's at least 20kg, and it would be precarious as hell if he didn't know how to secure it properly. :P

I think the limit's placed low for cargo in a box that's unsecured. Can you imagine a bowling ball bouncing around in a topcase? It'd be horrendous and idiotic -- you have to properly secure the load so that it doesn't go all over the place. If they set the limit low, even that low of unsecured weight couldn't possibly interfere with handling. That said, overload at your own risk.

Obviously, some common sense is required. The law doesn't allow room for common sense, so Honda overcompensated.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

For optimum handling when loading a bike you want the weight between the wheel spindles and as little weight as possible on the rack.
Even when I rode much bigger heavier bikes I never had as much as 10kg on the rear rack despite the structure being able to accept far more.
Heavy items went in the tank bag and side panniers, light items on the rack.
This is The Correct Way.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I used to do network and computer installations in London in the mid 80's as my 1st job and often strapped a computer on the back of my CX500 to do an installation. Computers were big and heavy back then and I often wondered that I was delivering a $2000 computer on a $500 bike.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We looked at a Honda top case and windscreen shortly after we purchased our 150. The dealer didn't have any windscreens in stock for it but the thing would have cost us $300 if they had! Instead I ordered a Givi for $98 delivered. Same difference between the top cases. That should give you an idea of the markup from Honda.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ClimberDave

Post by ClimberDave »

So does anybody know if the base for the PCX 150 will fit on the PCX 125? I have access to either and would prefer the stronger of the two, plus the 150 bracket costs less.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Forget the rack (ahem) that girls bum is perfect
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

So far I have found very little 125 accessories that do not fit the 150. I think the scooters are essentially the same except for the engine.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX Commuter
Color: Red

Post by PCX Commuter »

maddiedog wrote:
khaosaming wrote:I don't think there's anything flimsy about this rack.
Hmm, that one's metal, and looks up to the task of a lot more weight.

I've seen plastic ones like the one GN2 posted, never seen that nice metal one. That must be a new version they released with the PCX150, because the part is valid and linked to the PCX150 if I look that up online. Awesome. :D

Hey Maddiedog,

You are correct, they changed over from the less sturdy plastic mount to this new aluminum one with the PCX150. VERY sturdy. Got about 1,500 miles on mine now with lots of road jiggles and nothing loose and can still pick up the scooter from that bracket. Feels like it is part of the tail frame and very confidence inspiring.
Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX 150, 2002 Honda Metropolitan
Previously owned: 1978 Honda NC50
PCX Commuter

Post by PCX Commuter »

ClimberDave wrote:So does anybody know if the base for the PCX 150 will fit on the PCX 125? I have access to either and would prefer the stronger of the two, plus the 150 bracket costs less.
Yeah, it is crazy that the much stronger one is less money than the old plastic one. Seems like they loaded up the cost on the whole accessory trunk into the case more than the bracket this go around? Tail frame is identical between the 125 and 150, so you should be good to go. Check out my "How To" for some tips on installation!
Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX 150, 2002 Honda Metropolitan
Previously owned: 1978 Honda NC50
ClimberDave

Post by ClimberDave »

Well I just got the bracket for the PCX 150, it looks very sturdy.

Now I just need to figure out which box to buy. i'm leaning towards the Givi E340.

When I get some time and (and a 20mm drill bit) I will mount it, I will try to post some pics.
pcxjojo

Post by pcxjojo »

I just bought my PCX 150 two days ago and the first time I tried to lock the Honda top box that came with the bike, it broke!! I locked it and when I withdrew my key the entire lock came out with the key. Needless to say I'm going back to Honda to get it fixed. Is Givi better quality? Couldn't believe it.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

JoJo, I can't compare to the Honda box, but I installed a Givi B33 a few weeks back and it's been great. It's the lighter of the two (Monolock vs Monokey),, with the black bands. Very solid though. Commuting with it for the first time tomorrow!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I have a GIVI and it works great. I believe that I have seen somewhere on these forums that GIVI makes the Honda boxes and just rebrands them. Does anyone know if that is correct? As well, if this is correct, do they use the same parts, such as the locking mechanism?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Member Lagerhead just put a Givi B33 monolock top case on his Shiny Black PCX and it looks great, not to big or small (from where I sit).

kram, really? Honda rebadged a Givi box? Wow! Then why would the quality not be as good? Color me surprised at Honda.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

WhiteNoise wrote:kram, really? Honda rebadged a Givi box? Wow!
You may have misread my post. I didn't say GIVI "did" rebrand them, I said I thought I had seen somewhere on these threads that they did. Or maybe it is my mind going as I get older and I just thought that I read that. o_O :lol:

As far as quality, I believe I have read some Honda box owners claim the quality is the same. I don't know that as all I have is a GIVI. And I like the quality of the GIVI box and mounting hardware.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I would say the Honda top case is slightly better quality but at a lot more cost than a similar GIVI & the same goes for the windscreens.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh ok kram, no problem anyway. The box will be what it will be, right? Not to worry about "the mind" either....both of ours must be out to lunch...it happens :lol: W h a t e v e r ;) cheers, ride on!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
pcxjojo

Post by pcxjojo »

Thanks all.. I will let the DFW guys tackle the repair of the top box since its under warranty but keep your recommendations in mind if I end up replacing the box!
GenuineHondaWes

Post by GenuineHondaWes »

Hey all, as someone who works at a Honda dealer and sells both the Givi and Honda luggage, I could offer a good comparrison :)

If it was me, I'd probabl buy the Givi, simply based on the price. Usually you find they retail at around HALF what the Honda will cost!! Is it half the quality...not in my opinion. The 3kg weight limits mentioned earlier are correct for all the Givi monolock boxes, regardless of size. You need to get a monokey box (effectively their touring range-double wall plastic, better fitment to plate, generally a higher build quality) for more weight- up to 10kg.

pcxjojo, if you want any further advice, or anyone does, just PM me :)
01524 60011
weshall@northwest-honda.co.uk
www.northwest-honda.co.uk