How-To: Install a windshield

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

Suz

Re: How-To: Install a windshield

Post by Suz »

re cup holder? It will work for both. I bought a couple of Barefootwillies motorcycle cup holders for our cross country tirp on our big bike (11,840 miles) and they worked great. The cup holder 7/8" clamp fits perfectly on the PCX150.

Suz
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

11,000 miles?! Wow. I thought I was tired from my 80 mile trip today. I can't imagine going that far on a bike!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'm lost on this need to carry coffee on a bike

Stop and have one, or grab one, whatever

Why not take tea at appropriate times with a scone mayhaps?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:11,000 miles?! Wow. I thought I was tired from my 80 mile trip today. I can't imagine going that far on a bike!

Probably not in a day :)

Thinking about it, it's about three years mileage on my big bike...

We need the story and pictures.
Suz

Post by Suz »

Trip took 6 glorious weeks, no kids, no parents, no schedule, no reversations, no destination other than Pacific coast highway. This was a Bucket List trip. DH had lung cancer and was given a 17% chance of living 11 months, so on month 12 after surgeries and chemo and being laid off from his job of 34 years, i took my pale, motheaten looking hubby on a trip of his lifetime. We bought a Yamaha Venture, very comfy - much better than his Kingpin & headed out, 2 up in eary June. We had an absolute blast. Started from Rockport, MA, meandered SW to the Blueridge Parkway, towards the Dragons tail in Tenn. Turned N towards St Louis, W to CO, toured AZ, NV, NM,UT, WY,MO, SD,CA and other states. We visited 15 National Parks, 11 other attractions ans satified many whims.
There is a road in Yellowstone on the way to the NE gate that is so breathtaking that it literally heals the soul. I brought home a healthy and hairy hubby.

I usually only last an hour on a bike, so 6 weeks was unthinkable. Frankly I could have gone another 6 weeks. If you ever get a chance, do it.

Suz
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Suz wrote:Trip took 6 glorious weeks, no kids, no parents, no schedule, no reversations, no destination other than Pacific coast highway. This was a Bucket List trip. DH had lung cancer and was given a 17% chance of living 11 months, so on month 12 after surgeries and chemo and being laid off from his job of 34 years, i took my pale, motheaten looking hubby on a trip of his lifetime. We bought a Yamaha Venture, very comfy - much better than his Kingpin & headed out, 2 up in eary June. We had an absolute blast. Started from Rockport, MA, meandered SW to the Blueridge Parkway, towards the Dragons tail in Tenn. Turned N towards St Louis, W to CO, toured AZ, NV, NM,UT, WY,MO, SD,CA and other states. We visited 15 National Parks, 11 other attractions ans satified many whims.
There is a road in Yellowstone on the way to the NE gate that is so breathtaking that it literally heals the soul. I brought home a healthy and hairy hubby.

I usually only last an hour on a bike, so 6 weeks was unthinkable. Frankly I could have gone another 6 weeks. If you ever get a chance, do it.

Suz
Incredible, that's the way to do it.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Wow!! That is definitely the way to do it! I have travelled all over the USA but not on a bike. I had a hard time with 8 hours on a bike yesterday so I can't imagine 6 weeks. Of course, I have an excuse in that I have had 5 back surgeries, but your hubby had an excuse too, so I am amazed and encouraged. Thanks for the update on it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well today I pulled the home made extension I had made off of the Givi windscreen. My wife said that she heard what sounded like cracking in the plexiglass, and she was right. When I removed the tape (which was a job in itself) there were multiple stress fractures on the bottom of the plexiglass, probably because I had not heated the plexiglass and bent it but instead I man handled it into the shape I wanted and clamped it down. I had sent off for that 'kit' that I had posted previously but found out after it arrived that the kit was really only the bottom half of the kit but the way the website had displayed it made it look like the top half was included, when it wasn't. I was upset about it but then decided that I could make it work with a little engineering. After all, I was an engineer, though mostly computer hardware and software. In any case, here is the finished product.
New Windscreen extention.jpg
New Windscreen extention.jpg (168.9 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Have you considered trying to mount it further down on the windshield? It might stress the plastic less that way.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

it is down 4 3/4" but since the piece of plexiglass was so short I didn't want to lose too much height so that was a compromise.The kit pieces only allowed me to go down just so far on the Givi so I had to work with that limit. If I had used a longer piece of plexiglass there would have be a lot on the bottom that might have vibrated from the wind pressure. That would have caused even more stress on the holding points and might have cause stress cracks there. It was a calculated risk. We took the bike for a 140 mile trip to see how it handled the new addition. No cracks, very little vibration, and so far no problems. I changed out the white velcro piece in the center of the addition for a black one, and have the Givi attached to the test screen there to keep vibration in sync. So far everything is working as planned....except that my wife has now gone out of town for 3 weeks to visit one of our daughters in Washington state. Guess the little pcx won't be out of the basement for awhile.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:it is down 4 3/4" but since the piece of plexiglass was so short I didn't want to lose too much height so that was a compromise.The kit pieces only allowed me to go down just so far on the Givi so I had to work with that limit. If I had used a longer piece of plexiglass there would have be a lot on the bottom that might have vibrated from the wind pressure. That would have caused even more stress on the holding points and might have cause stress cracks there. It was a calculated risk. We took the bike for a 140 mile trip to see how it handled the new addition. No cracks, very little vibration, and so far no problems. I changed out the white velcro piece in the center of the addition for a black one, and have the Givi attached to the test screen there to keep vibration in sync. So far everything is working as planned....except that my wife has now gone out of town for 3 weeks to visit one of our daughters in Washington state. Guess the little pcx won't be out of the basement for awhile.

Party at your house!!
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

I don't want to derail a great windscreen thread but I am really interested in learning more about ms_sparky's Givi bag on the tunnel in front of the seat. What part number is that and how is it attached? I really want to avoid a rear trunk because I think it looks clunky on the beautiful PCX. But this "tunnel bag" blends in really well.

Thanks for any info.

Don
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

If my forum memory :roll: serves me right, I think that bag was discontinued(?) You may want to check eBay from time to time should someone sell theirs. I agree, it IS a nice look & fit. I believe there is another Givi tunnel bag available that may suit your likes & needs.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Here's one: http://www.compacc.com/p/Givi-Easy-Rang ... Tunnel-Bag
The model number seen in the link is incorrect. Why they didn't Fix that, I don't know. Correct model #EA105 for the Easy Range scooter tunnel bag
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Thanks for that link WhiteNoise. It should fit on the tunnel nicely. The product details mention a fastening strap but no indication of how or where it attaches. I guess it must clip onto the edges of the plastic panels?

Don
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Ahh! I just found a couple of video reviews that show options for attaching.

Thanks again for the links.

Don
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Glad I could be of help Don ;)
Sorry gang for straying off topic (longer), but I just came across another tunnel bag that may be of interest (we the people love choices) :D spoiled? Nah! :lol:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/ ... l-Bag.aspx
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Don -- here's a relevant thread: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=913
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

For those of you in the US you can order the short Givi 322st from Amazon with free shipping. Got mine in 5 days.

Oh, and thanks to Maddiedog for the instructions.
st3v4nt

Post by st3v4nt »

Just adding a few tips from my experience of fixing the windshield installment of GIVI windshield.

1. From me and my friend experience not all GIVI windshield will perfectly fit with PCX plastic panel or bolt hole. My friend need to oversize the bolt hole in windshield a little bit to make the bolt in PCX and WS bolt hole to flush together. While I need to smooth the right corner of shield in order to eliminate the noise from windshield every time PCX hit bumpy road.

2. To avoid scratch in your headlight plastic when you remove the V frame use masking tape or clear tape on headlight plastic. Doing so will avoid part of V frame to scratch the plastic in headlight.

3. If your hand is small you can make the V frame plastic tab lock easily if you push the black panel on PCX (where V frame screw fit) from inside. Just push your hand/finger through space where you will do headlight adjustment till your finger hit the panel.