PCX engine noise common?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

hirider
Year: 2018
Color: blue

PCX engine noise common?

Post by hirider »

I've got a 2018 PCX 150 with low miles (2400) , light use. I makes quite a racket in the drive train somewhere only when cruising at light load, like after reaching 30 mph on a flat road. It sounds almost like valve noise , very steady and regular with engine speed but seems a little heavier than tappet chatter. Does anybody else have anything like this?

It persisted since I got the scooter at 800 miles. There's plenty of power. No noticeable noise when accelerating or decelerating or idling.

I have heard valve adjustments arent typically need for a long time on the PCX. Can the variator make a noise like this? I'd like to get some direction before taking things apart.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: PCX engine noise common?

Post by mymitzi »

Agree the valve adjustments last a good while. The possible culprit may b the trans [variator/ramp plate/rollers] It's kind of early for
something like that to go amiss but it's worth a check. If you bought it used, previous owner may have tinkered with those parts??
slowlee
Year: 2022
Color: white

Post by slowlee »

My past experience with Honda scooters, especially the Silvering, you would get a slapping noise much as you have described. It was normal and never effecting durability.
hirider

Post by hirider »

The previous owner was meticulous (300 mi dealer $ervice receipt) and definitely not a tinkerer. Its probably worth a look inside the variator for busted rollers/plate/rubber. Probably look in the clutch for broken parts too once its opened up.

A valve check looks like a giant plastic disassembly risk, otherwise do-able; I have the factory manual. Parts (piston,rings) seem oddly cheap, if it comes to that .....
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Have you tried to duplicate the symptoms while on the center stand? You can check [run] it with the trans cover off also. Good luck.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Moved thread from PCX Gen to PCX Technical
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
hirider

Post by hirider »

SOLVED. Backwards rollers. Regarding a rattle when rolling off throttle, I took a look inside the variator at 3000 mi :....clean, very little wear, little dust, rollers (15g/blue face) little wear @19.9 or 20.0 mm. well in spec, with a substantial amount of side-to-side clearance (.025" ) but no spec provided. Bearing in the ide case was fine. Everything looked fine and the clutch turned smooth. Then I noticed the direction of the rollers. The Honda manual does not specify which way the rollers should face . I found a 2 sources online including a diagram at Dr Pulley indicating the plastic side trailed and the blue steel side led. One roller steel core could move laterally in its plastic sleeve, the rest felt solid so i just reinstalled the set for now. Definitely sounds quieter on a short test ride, no more rattle.
hirider

Post by hirider »

NOT SOLVED ! My test ride was too short and slow. The rattle came back right away exactly as before in a little faster ride. I cant get it to dulicate on the centerstand, including using a stethoscope/megaphone . A cell phone recording at speed has too much wind noise.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Throw new rollers in. Have you tried that yet?
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator