2010 vs 2022

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rorschach
Year: 2010
Color: White

2010 vs 2022

Post by Rorschach »

Hi all
I've owned a 2010 model PCX125 since January 2011, and I've just this month replaced it with a 2022 model.
The first model was brand new from the Belfast Honda dealer at that time, and I've picked up the new one with 1700 miles from my local motorcycle mechanic and dealer in Lurgan, Dynes Motorcycles.
It's been an interesting comparison between the 2, even after only 150 miles, so I thought I'd compile my initial impression.
By way of mods, my 2010 had a Givi tall screen and some YSS shocks. The 2022 has a tall Honda screen.
First thing to note is that the newer bike feels taller and offers more protection around the legs. The seat, after the elimination of the woeful hump, is better but is still limited for a long run with just dress trousers on. Not a big deal, though.
The 2022 engine feels a bit flatter than the old model, which I wasn't expecting. Not much in it, but the pick-up is more sluggish for the 2022. That might change after a few more miles, but by then i won't have the comparison available. There might be 1 or 2 mph more at the top end for the 2022, but I feel that the old one has more zip. It's a very slight difference.
Handling-wise, the suspension feels stiffer, and in fact a little harsh over badly surfaced roads. I initially thought that the tyre pressures were off, but they were as per handbook. My 2010 had brand new forks fitted twice over the life of the bike due to corrosion, which I wasn't upset about because they were cheap and I use my scooter all year round on salted roads, and I'm not disposed to washing a bike every winters evening. The 2022 damping feels quite OTT for a scooter, and cornering on bumpy corners is a bit of a leap of faith.
The best change to my 2010 was that change to Bridgestone SC tyres after the rather lifeless Michelin city grips, so I'm interested to see if that tyre change gives more feedback again when it's time for a change.
My 2010 went through 4 fronts and 5 rears in 23,000 miles, which shocked me initially! The o.e. tyres were woeful, the Michelins (2 sets) were somewhat better, but the Bridgestones (1 front, 2 rears) really improved the machine.
Although highlighting negatives here, I certainly don't regret the change. The new PCX feels like a more grown-up bike, perhaps less fun than the 2010, but the design is nicer and the larger tank is great, along with the upgraded instrumentation.
It's just incremental changes over the last 12 years that have been noticeable. A scooter keeps my motorcycles good for leisure and trackdays.
If I get 10 years out of this, I'll be more than happy.
lukepcx
Year: 2021
Color: white

Re: 2010 vs 2022

Post by lukepcx »

Very interesting post. Did you swap out your old pcx because it gave up the ghost or did you just fancy a new one? I bought a PCX last year for everyday commuting whilst my motorbikes sit in the garage for sunny weekends. Few and far between in the UK but I couldn't bear the thought of endless chain maintenence if i commuted on the vstrom. Hopefully my pcx will last as long as yours.
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

My 2016 PCX was getting old as in:
* speedometer died again - switched the sensor with a new one but it turned out to be the wires to the sensors which were all broken somewhere behind the airbox (able to fix it myself though)
* ball head bearings really needs to be replaced (work in progress)

I guess these are issues you get when riding all year long in rain, salty roads and what not (~12 500 km/year).

So I figured, let me buy a new 2023 PCX 125. This way I can still ride to work with the new one while having plenty of time to patch up the old one. Which I could sell once finished or simply have it to use during the salty winter periods :p.

So my experiences with the new 2023 pcx so far:
* suspension feels stiffer (imrovement!)
* handling is really improved due to the wider tires (and also suspension ofcourse). This really makes a difference when for exampling cornering when the road surface is not really smooth - something we have alot here in Belgium :-D. Now the tires stay where they should be: on the road. So I have a complete opposite feeling as Rorschach...
* pick up and acceleration do seem a bit more sluggish indeed but then again, my old pcx has dr pulley sliders which are lighter in weight so its not a good comparison, also still taking it easy as it has only seen ~200 kms now.
* default windscreen is still as poor as the old default windscreen - I switched mine yesterday with a "PUIG V-TECH LINE TOURING" - have not gone out for a ride so can't say anything about it except that it looks really nice :p
* no more combined braking system - I like it as it gives more control
* abs on front brakes - nice feature and it works great (found that out while going over a speedbump and hitting the brakes on the downslope - those brand new brakes do have a bite :-D)
* keyless system - do not really like it, still need to take out a key anyhow to lock it with a chain so...
* oil dipstick - improvement; it became longer so you do not need to reach between exhaust and cooling fan that far
* luggage box size: improvement my modular system helmet now fits in it where this was really not possible with the old one
* brake handles: did these become thinner or is there simply more play on them (up en downwards that is) - maybe i should ask the dealer when i go for the checkup after the first 500 kms - but they do somehow feel 'lighter'

Probably in the future there will be more things I can compare but overall so far I like the newer version - but I also still like my old one. Asking which one I like more would be like asking 'which one of your kids do you like the most?' :-D.

Oh some pictures :lol:
2023-1.jpg
2023-1.jpg (235.44 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
2023-2.jpg
2023-2.jpg (292.68 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
horse stable.jpg
horse stable.jpg (219.02 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
2016-1.jpg
2016-1.jpg (329.9 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
2016-2.jpg
2016-2.jpg (140.62 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
Oh yes my small garage is a mess right now :D .
Mprime
Year: 2021
Color: White

Post by Mprime »

I run the same Puig windscreen. I liked it by itself, but combined with the Puig lip extension it's perfect. I also installed the Dr. Pulley sliders, but kept the same weight as stock. Is that the flecked white? It almost looks like a dove gray in that first pic.

Mike
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Rorschach wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:37 am the larger tank is great
I was wondering what the tank range of the 2022 is? a seller near me says he gets between 150-170miles per fill up, which is slightly off putting, as far as I'm aware the tank range is supposed to be around 230 miles ish?
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Scottish wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:50 am
Rorschach wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:37 am the larger tank is great
I was wondering what the tank range of the 2022 is? a seller near me says he gets between 150-170miles per fill up, which is slightly off putting, as far as I'm aware the tank range is supposed to be around 230 miles ish?
My 2017 takes right around 2 Gallons of fuel. I'm getting around 85MPG so from full to blinking fuel light is 150-165 Miles per tank.

This is with super light weights so CVT is tuned for performance and hard accelerations. Stock would be close to 200miles.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator