Forza 125 reliability and cost of ownership

General Honda Forza 125 chat, questions about the Forza 125, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Forza 125 reliability and cost of ownership

Post by iceman »

It seems many are finding the Forza 125 rather costly to keep running well due to one or more common faults, and this on a £5000 125 bike.
I'm part of the facebook forza group and many find the head bearings often need replacement, The head bearing problem is a concern for anyone thinking of purchasing one of these - the latest discussion involves people having them replaced under warranty at 8000 miles and now they are on their way out again at 12,000 (bike just out of the 2 year warranty period).
It's not just one or two people having the bearings go, many keep raising the same issue. Not good longevity on any bike, especially a Honda costing so much for what is basically a suped up 125.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Forza 125 reliability and cost of ownership

Post by gn2 »

Wouldn't surprise me if they had been assembled without any grease, also they are extremely vulnerable to damage from hitting potholes.
One big heavy hit and there's pits in the bearing races.
Real cheap and nasty ball bearing crap, taper rollers are vastly superior but Honda are too stingy to fit them.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

£5000 for a 125?
Sad purchase.
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Actual out the door price is £4689
But can be had cheaper if you're good at haggling.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

The Forza 125 surprisingly is a very big seller as many really like the bike, but not worth near £5000 in my books. Another post of FB shows the rear shocks being replaced - apparently they are not that great quality either for such an expensive scooter. The after-market replacements being fitted in that post cost near £500!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The price has to be compared with the cost of the competition.
And that's a rail season ticket.
Buy it on a PCP deal and suddenly it doesn't look as expensive.
HondaForza125
Year: 2020
Color: Grey..Metallic!

Post by HondaForza125 »

It would be quite easy I reckon to get one for £4k new in the UK pre reg or similar.

So £1k to £1.5k more than a PCX depending on what you could haggle a PCX for.
40jack

Post by 40jack »

iceman wrote:The Forza 125 surprisingly is a very big seller as many really like the bike, but not worth near £5000 in my books. Another post of FB shows the rear shocks being replaced - apparently they are not that great quality either for such an expensive scooter. The after-market replacements being fitted in that post cost near £500!

The forza suspension is terrible, I'm 17 St and soon as I sit on the bike it bottoms out. The UK roads really give it hell. Problem is there isn't much out there to upgrade it with.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

40jack wrote:
iceman wrote:The Forza 125 surprisingly is a very big seller as many really like the bike, but not worth near £5000 in my books. Another post of FB shows the rear shocks being replaced - apparently they are not that great quality either for such an expensive scooter. The after-market replacements being fitted in that post cost near £500!

The forza suspension is terrible, I'm 17 St and soon as I sit on the bike it bottoms out. The UK roads really give it hell. Problem is there isn't much out there to upgrade it with.

Does the 125 suspension have adjustable pre-load?
Haarek
Year: 125 Forza
Color: Black

Post by Haarek »

Yes, it does.
2019 Honda NSS125 Forza.
Norway
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Have you tried adjusting it?
Haarek
Year: 125 Forza
Color: Black

Post by Haarek »

Me? Yes. I think the suspension on my forza is perfectly allright for my riding, both with and without my wife riding pillion. But preload will have to be adjusted (obviously)
2019 Honda NSS125 Forza.
Norway
40jack

Post by 40jack »

Haarek wrote:Yes, it does.

Yes I have adjusted the pre load made little difference for me. I'm nearly 18st and when I sit on the bike it basically bottoms out. The roads round us are atrocious and when the bike hits the pot holes it feels like a hammer hitting an anvil. I find the suspension to be very soft.
40jack

Post by 40jack »

gn2 wrote:
40jack wrote:

Does the 125 suspension have adjustable pre-load?
Adjustable on the rear not the front I should add
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

40jack wrote:Adjustable on the rear not the front I should add
Front can be adjusted by adding washers on top of the springs to increase preload and/or using heavier fork oil and/or varying fork oil level.
40jack

Post by 40jack »

gn2 wrote:
40jack wrote:Adjustable on the rear not the front I should add
Front can be adjusted by adding washers on top of the springs to increase preload and/or using heavier fork oil and/or varying fork oil level.

Ask that is interesting, thank you. Is this something you've done?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Yes, but not on a scooter.
40jack

Post by 40jack »

gn2 wrote:Yes, but not on a scooter.
Roger that.
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by Mister_Fube »

gn2 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:23 pm Wouldn't surprise me if they had been assembled without any grease, also they are extremely vulnerable to damage from hitting potholes.
One big heavy hit and there's pits in the bearing races.
Real cheap and nasty ball bearing crap, taper rollers are vastly superior but Honda are too stingy to fit them.
I am considering a new (or close to new) 22-23 model Forza 125. I am interested to know more about the head bearings issue, but I can't seem to find it on this forum. Is there any improvement in the quality of these bearings for the newer models, or is the problem still quite common?

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nss300a_forza_abs/2014/mrfube/330690]Image