Reg Gas or Premium ?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Twinmgmt
Year: 2022
Color: white

Reg Gas or Premium ?

Post by Twinmgmt »

Just curious what grade of gas are you guys using. Regular , Premium or something in between ?
Twinmgmt
Year: 2022
Color: white

Re: Reg Gas or Premium ?

Post by Twinmgmt »

Guess I will answer my own question ... at least here in the USA I'm using premium. PCX is running like a Puma. :) , 104ish MPG
KaptSlow
Year: 2018
Color: White

Post by KaptSlow »

More important than reg or prem, try to run non-ethanol fuel.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

non ethanol is better if you can find it
Mon-Eye
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021
Color: Red

Post by Mon-Eye »

Petrol contains more energy than ethanol. If you burn one litre of ethanol you get 23.5 million joules of energy. If you burn one litre of petrol you get 33.5 million joules. That means there’s about 30 per cent less energy in a tank full of ethanol, compared with the same volume of petrol. And that means there’s about three per cent less energy in E10 compared with regular petrol. And that means fuel consumption goes up by three percent if you use E10. So if it’s not at least three per cent cheaper than regular petrol, you’re ripping yourself off. Premium fuel here in the uk is E5 predominately so that means its only one and ½ percent less energy and one and half percent more fuel consumption. It also means if you ran a car on 100 per cent ethanol, fuel consumption would increase by more than 40 per cent. (Although it’s not advisable to do that. engines don’t like to start in the cold on E100. Which is why E85 is pretty much the upper limit for ethanol/petrol blends.) You need to burn 1.4 litres of ethanol to get the same energy as one litre of petrol. (Cruising range drops on E10, too – something long-distance drivers need to consider.)

Ethanol also has a great octane rating and cooling characteristics depending on how its used. So can provide advantages on tuned engines and engines that are used in extreme heat or load

That latest pcx's are all designed to have ethanol blended fuels so won't affect them at all and mostly save you money over the premium stuff (if your UK based).

Power wise on honda quote 12.33 bhp so the five percent more ethanol in E10 over premium (in uk) equates to a 0.18bhp. Altitude, humidity, ambient air temperature will all make more difference than this. Would be better off loosing half a stone if economy and power to weight ratio are a cause for concern
CBR1100XX blackbird (modified), CBR929RR Turbo, CBR600F Sport (modified), several beta trials bikes and endurance bikes
xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black

Post by xixon »

I use Chevron extra-high premium (94 octane/non ethanol) because it dispenses from a separate pump/hose.

All other gas stations use the same pump/hose with 3 options (regular/mid/premium), as such if the previous person filled with regular, that results in about the first 2 litres within the hose will be regular before the premium starts to flow out.

Since my tank is only 6 litres max, that would mean about a third my tank is filled with the previous persons' choice of fuel......which may be a good thing if filling with regular and the previous person filled with premium
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I used to use Asda 97 Ron standard grade fuel and since the changes have been using their E10 standard fuel - bikes starts and rides fine all weathers and still shows 135mpg. It's proved to be around 5mpg less if you check litres in and trip miles, but still great for a 9 year old PCX (1st led version).

No need for all the pricier fancy fuels that some rave about - it's built to use these grade fuels.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

This reminds me of the synthetic versus nonsynthetic oil wars… I agree with the above, just use a fresh octane that is recommended in the manual and you’ll be fine, anything else is a waste of money.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mymrmarty
Year: 2023
Color: Bronze

Post by Mymrmarty »

Running 89 Octane with 1/4 oz of STP Gas Treatment per full tank. Have zero fuel issues and getting 90+ MPG.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

I run 91octane just for the little higher Detonation prevention since I run open intake and exhaust with no tuner.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Mprime
Year: 2021

Post by Mprime »

I usually run premium and try to use E0 when I can.