PCX 125cc WW125EX2A bad performance need advice

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

GMoon777
Year: 2011
Color: White

PCX 125cc WW125EX2A bad performance need advice

Post by GMoon777 »

Hi there, I recently purchased a second hand pxc 2011 from a friend, he had it stored in a garage for 2 years and I've been trying to get it going properly again. I bought the bike to commute 1 hour to work twice a week, sadly I've been having problems with the performance.

The bike has been fully serviced with oil, pads, belt, rollers, new tires and brakes. and yet she struggles to hit over 55mph

I can't find much information on what the top speed is supposed to be but it's driving me crazy holding up traffic on the way to work hovering around 50mph.

I've been looking at some upgrades to try and enhance the performance.
do you guys think this variator https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144114159974 ... R9bk3Z3vYA or an alternative would help?

I was also looking at getting a new exhuast but can only find 2012-2016 from blackwidow and i've been told by them it's not compatable
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142731879838 ... R7L_7Z3vYA

I suspect there might be a sealing issue with the stock exhaust and it might need a new gasket as the bike vibrates badly, especially at lower speed and doesn't seem to hit max rpm.

perhaps cleaning the throttle body might help? as it was sat for 2 years in a garage.

Any input greatly appreciated
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Re: PCX 125cc WW125EX2A bad performance need advice

Post by waspmike »

I believe you should get at least 65. How heavy are you? As a start, fill the tank with Shell V-Power if there is a shell near you.. It has extra detergents and will clean out the fuel system. Length of time in the system, not how many miles you ride. Did you replace the air filter?
I'm a firm believer in having a tach. Not expensive. Battery-powered, stick-on with velcro and a wire wrapped around the sparkplug wire.Then you will know what the engine is actually doing.
GMoon777

Post by GMoon777 »

waspmike wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:33 am I believe you should get at least 65. How heavy are you? As a start, fill the tank with Shell V-Power if there is a shell near you.. It has extra detergents and will clean out the fuel system. Length of time in the system, not how many miles you ride. Did you replace the air filter?
I'm a firm believer in having a tach. Not expensive. Battery-powered, stick-on with velcro and a wire wrapped around the sparkplug wire.Then you will know what the engine is actually doing.
Thanks, I'm 75KG, air filter has also been changed, is there a chance it's the valve clearances perhaps? from my ears it really sounds like the revs are not maxing out and so the tach might be a good idea, the last quarter throttle makes no difference in revs or speed
airhead83
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by airhead83 »

You may want to check the free play adjustment on the throttle cable.
Hobbit112
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Gunmetal

Post by Hobbit112 »

How heavy are your new rollers?
2019 Honda Click 125i
Yuminashi 164cc bore kit w/150 head
32mm throttle body and intake
13.5° SpeedTuner variator
15gr Dr. Pulley sliders
100/80-14(F), 120/80-14(R) Pirelli Angel Scooters
YSS front fork kit, YSS G-Series rear shock
GMoon777

Post by GMoon777 »

An update. I've installed my new polini high speed variator that uses 9 9.2g rollers, new polini kevlar belt, polini race clutch and bell.
accelleration is now silky smooth and much faster however top speed still not going over 60mph. this leads me to suspect the valve clearances or perhaps an exhaust gasket leak.

running out of ideas now that the full variator, clutch, belt and bell have been ticked off the list.
GMoon777

Post by GMoon777 »

Another update.
I just took her out for a spin after installing a new exhuast gasket, same kettle of fish... rockets up to 50mph then climbs to 58, then hangs and fluctuates between 55 - 60. if i reduce the throttle to 2/3 the speed is unaffected.. weird...

So in summary the bike is 2011 Non-Esp PCX 125cc that was sat in a garage for 2 years until i got it and then...
About 6 Tanks worth of super unleaded through it
Full service - oil, spark plug etc
New front tire & front brake
New air filter
New parts - Polini full race kit (High-Speed Variator including clutch spring and x9 9.2G Rollers, Race Adjustable Clutch, Kevlar Belt & High-Speed Clutch Bell)
New Rear brake and springs
New exhaust gasket

And still won't go over 60mph!!! although accelleration is pretty good!

The only things I can think of left that could be causing the poor top end performance is..
Dirty / Bad Throttle body
Air pipe leak
Bad valve clearances

if anyone can help me with any ideas whatsoever i would be most grateful!!! this bike is making my commute a nightmare as it's an hours ride over hills and long straights! constantly holding everyone up :(

Thanks guys!!

- Gabe
pcx888
Regular User
Regular User
Color: pearl white

Post by pcx888 »

I have a 2011 to I hit 65 no problems. But I run with roller weights 12 grams.
2011 White PCX
Michelin Tire City Grip Front and Rear
Aftermarket Thai Seat.
JDM Front lights and Rear Lights and Fender.
NCY Variator, And Face and 13 Dr. pulley sliders.
Rear NCY 1000 contra spring.
NCY Textured clutch bell.
GMoon777

Post by GMoon777 »

Engine blew up last night on the way home. guess that answers my question. haha
Monty
Year: 2012

Post by Monty »

Ouch ... that's a tough journey. Did you end up rebuilding the engine, and if so, did you work out what caused the issue(s)?