Hit 80 mph on my 2013 PCX (164 lbs rider, tucked, drafting behind behind truck)

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Hit 80 mph on my 2013 PCX (164 lbs rider, tucked, drafting behind behind truck)

Post by grndslm »

I know that the commonly mentioned top speed for the 2013 was 74 mph after upgrading to 13g rollers and new variator. I'd seen 75 and maybe even 76 mph before, but never over 76.

Just a couple days ago, tho, I hit the wind just right (I'm always tucking over 70 mph!) *and* was able to draft behind a truck that was speeding up from 74 to 80mph. Anyway, the speedometer "pointer" wasn't even with the 80 mph line, but the lines were 100% touching. I just changed to a new belt & rollers, after having previously replaced both of those, the variator, & lightweight clutch bell housing. But it was pretty surreal to see it happening.

Some people say that an exhaust wouldn't help top end, but I'm wondering if it would make *drafting* at 80 mph more possible. . .

Hmm...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: Hit 80 mph on my 2013 PCX (164 lbs rider, tucked, drafting behind behind truck)

Post by Mel46 »

Do you really WANT to go 80 mph on such a light bike?? I can ride at 75 mph comfortably but it is a bit scary when a truck passes me. The bike sort of floats. It doesn't give me a feeling of confidence in my ability to avoid an accident should the vehicle in front of me come to a sudden stop. A scooter is far to light to play with on the freeway anyway. The heavier weight of the motorcycle is well distributed and feels more grounded when competing for space at high speeds. Granted, I use to take my 350 Honda out on the freeway quite a bit, but traffic was not as heavy back in those days, and my little Honda still felt solid when I was being passed by a larger vehicle. At present I use my bike very little, but when I do I am quite happy to run at 55- 60 mph on the side roads. It does quite well there because it was built for there. Still, if you want to run at 80 mph get a windshield, and wax the bike. I have the NCY setup on my bike plus Michelin City Grip tires, and it is happy, and I have a tail box, so I don't think it is interfering with anything, should someone mention that it will (it isn't a huge one though).
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Re: Hit 80 mph on my 2013 PCX (164 lbs rider, tucked, drafting behind behind truck)

Post by grndslm »

I very rarely ride on the interstate, but ride daily on a 45 to 55 mph highway where everybody is riding 15+ over the speed limit.

I can't really say I *want* to ride much faster, but I am curious how in the world I was able to even get up to 80 mph. Never happened with my first belt & set of rollers... never made it over 75, maybe 76. I actually hit 78 mph today drafting behind a car. Had it been a larger truck, I might've been able to hit 80 again.

Kinda just curious at what point the rev limiter will even hit with 13 gram rollers.... I suppose I could put it on the center stand and check the speedometer??
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

On the stand your bike would hit a higher speed, but on its stand is not real life. Wind is one of your biggest enemies on the road. I have a tall Givi windshield so that I can ride upright comfortably, and yet I can still max my speedometer out past 75 mph, so the bike could do it. The question would be control with various windy conditions. My Michelin City Grip tires hold the road well, but it when the bike gets up there in speed it feels like it is floating, and that is when a rider has to worry.

Reminder:
Honda put the limiter in place because they were setting up the PCX for good gas miles, not speed. Think about where most of these scooters are sold...Asia. Think about the videos you see about life and traffic there. I don't see any in which the rider is trying to go 80 mph. Most of the time you see them riding with their family, all on the same scooter! Even the roads don't look like they could handle 80 mph. Scooter racing is a very small segment that is done on a circular track. (Leave it to the Europeans to want to get the most speed out of a little scooter, and they want to take it onto the freeways! :roll:)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

Your at the top end without making more engine power. I can bounce on the limiter at 78 to 80 doing the same drafting an tucking but there's no more to be had without displacement increases and gearing changes and even rev limiter changes after that. On a sled the size of the PCX being able to cruise most of the time at 65 is pretty sweet
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Have you ever compared the original speedo to a GPS and see if its accurate?

Either way great MPH. I can bounce the limiter at 78. NCY Variator, 10.25g sliders, stock belt. My speedo reads due to the larger tires. Drafting makes a HUGE difference. Im guessing not drafting you are back at 75-77mph?
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator