Grinding noise when walking the scooter...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

GymTee
Year: 2022
Color: White

Grinding noise when walking the scooter...

Post by GymTee »

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2022 PCX and it's already bringing back memories of when I used to ride the Aero 80!

That said, I did notice something odd today - when I was walking my PCX out of the garage to my driveway to start it, I noticed a dull grinding noise coming from the left side of the bike (rider's position) in the rear (opposite side of the muffler.)

I'm assuming this is the chain but decided not to ride it as I have not noticed that sound before.

Any/all feedback is welcome as it has just 12 miles on it and cannot fathom there is a mechanical issue this early.

Thank you!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Re: Grinding noise when walking the scooter...

Post by iceman »

Rotate the rear wheel when on the centre stand - it's always a bit noisy but if you hear a lot of noise likely the final drive bearing. A common issue.
Search this forum and youtube as this (if it's the issue) has been covered many times before.
GymTee
Year: 2022

Re: Grinding noise when walking the scooter...

Post by GymTee »

Thank you, Iceman - did just as you recommended, video'ed it, and sent it to the dealership and they said what you said which is that "grinding" is normal. To cure my paranoia, I went to another dealership to look at a brand new PCX, put it on the center stand, and voila - it sounded the exact same. All said, it's been a while since I've ridden and realized this is a normal sound on all bikes so we can consider this thread closed and resolved! Thank you again for your advice - happy and safe riding!