New Member, New PCX150 owner

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: New Member, New PCX150 owner

Post by Mel46 »

I think your ambitions concerning the Buddhist monastery are good. I have read of other psychologists teaching their patients to meditate, or at minimum learning to relax. Biofeedback has been around for a long time and it works. I know because I used it when I was stressed out at college. Learning to meditate though is much harder. I have tried many times to quiet my mind but it runs away anyway. It takes a lot of training to learn to relax in this fast paced world. Even learning to take deep breaths is hard for some people. My doctor is impressed by the fact that I can slow everything down by taking a deep breath, letting it out slowly, and concentrating on relaxing. Doing that before the nurse takes my blood pressure usually ends with my bp being 110 over 67 or lower. I really hope what you want to teach your patients becomes a standard.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

Duggle wrote:If they don't want you riding it then tell them you're "walking" it home. Perfectly legal to push a scooter without a license. I've actually pushed a motorcycle a mile home (after it died) back when I was a kid.

It's weird though, because the dealer about 15 miles from me, when I was talking to them on the phone and told them that my car was unavailable said "we'll come pick you up". Then I told them I didn't have a license yet and they said "we'll drive you back home with the motorcycle in a truck". But I told them that my brother-in-law may want to go up there with me, he did and took me and I ended up just riding home. They seemed very enthusiastic to get me up there to buy the bike and it worked, I made the purchase even though I had wanted to go try out other scooters before buying one. I got a call yesterday from a lady that said she was the wife of the owner thanking me for the sale and asking how everything was going. I should have asked "What, can't your husband call?" just to be funny. Also got a call from the salesgirl that we were talking to the day before yesterday to check up on me. But it's weird that your dealership isn't finding the time for you after you've made your purchase.
I went up there this afternoon and picked the pcx up. It wasn't a problem at all. Different people were there today and I dealt with the owners son. He was actually very nice and smiled a lot. Was not cocky at all like I thought when I saw him earlier in the week. Maybe him and his dad while working had a disagreement. I walked in, and the guy walked up, and he remembered me. Took me right to the scooter, verified the VIN # and Opened the bay doors. I walked the scooter out, showed my roommate, put my helmet on and rode my first time down the parking lot. It was very interesting, rode like a bicycle at low speeds. I took it on the road, mind you I haven't really ridden a bicycle for about 16 years. It all came back to me. I partially floored it and it has some serious pick up and go. Got it up to 40mph on the main road. Then when I was turning, had trouble making a 90 degree turn from a full stop and thought I was about to drop it. But it got it's balance and kept scooting along.

Man, it was a blast driving and the wind felt awesome hitting me. I had maybe 10ish people turn their heads and watch me drive it, is driving even an appropriate word for riding a scooter/motorcycle?

I'll get a picture up soon, just need to download from my phone.

Only thing I've found I'm not liking is when I washed it. I poured fresh water over it and the inside of the fuel compartment had water sitting in it from the rinse water. Other than that, the seat compartment stayed dried. I got the license plate on with "bling bling" red reflective attachments the owner's son gave me for free.

I think I'll take it out tomorrow on the local streets.

zach
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

socoguy78 wrote:... I'll use their bikes and learn to shift because I do want to upgrade one day to a motorcycle ....
I would say the scooter is an upgrade from a motorcycle ... just twist and go. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

[quote="Mel46"]I think your ambitions concerning the Buddhist monastery are good.quote]

I would say more about this but afraid this topic will be put in a new directory or just deleted sense it's not about the pcx150... And can't send a prvt message to you cause I'm a new member. Maybe the PCX can be a new therapy! It sure made me smile today as I practiced in a church parking lot. Oh Wow is all I can say...

zach
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

kramnala58 wrote:
socoguy78 wrote:... I'll use their bikes and learn to shift because I do want to upgrade one day to a motorcycle ....
I would say the scooter is an upgrade from a motorcycle ... just twist and go. ;)

Good one! I can't believe the CVT on this scoot. First time ever using one, besides a standard automatic transmission in a car. The increase in speed, how smooth it was going from 0-30 was unbelievable.

zach
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

I took my pcx150 out tonight at a local church parking lot down the street. Rode for maybe an hour in circles, practicing breaking, seeing how it handled dips and hills on the asphalt lot. I did floor it maybe an inch turn on the throttle and was very very impressed with the pick up in speed. She now has about 10 miles on her. Plan on taking her out tomorrow and just riding around town. "Crossing fingers" that no cops decide to pull me over cause I havn't gotten my learners permit yet. I got my taxes, registration, license plates and so forth today, and wasn't about to wait for a few more hours in the driver license line for a permit; I'll do that Monday.

I did have a family come outside and watch me practice, they had a couple motorcycles sitting in their front yard, looked like old Harleys.

The scoot fits me very well. I can sit back with my butt against the hump on the seat having my legs relaxed and feet on the upper portion of "foot rests."

zach
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Glad to hear you got it. I began like you as a rookie rider. The dealer brought it to my place in the back of a pickup truck. I live about 250 meters (200 yards) down the road from where I work. There is a fairly large parking lot at work so I set some traffic cones up to practice figure 8's, criss-crosses, zig-zags and things like that. After about 20 kms of doing that I took it to the streets that make up a large tobacco processing facility immediately behind where I work. After about another 80-100 kms or so, I ventured out into the concrete jungle that is Bangkok.

One of the initial challenges I had getting used to riding a motorcycle was when I wanted to slow quickly I had a tendency to pull back on the throttle as I was seemingly pulling back on the handle bars. I didn't venture out on the real roads until I was comfortable that I had that under control.

Take your time and take it easy. Don't push it. It is like driving a car in that it seems easy until something goes awry and then you need experienced driving skills to avoid problems. My encouragement is to not get too confident because you feel comfortable. Grow into it.

Happy riding. :)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

kramnala58 wrote:One of the initial challenges I had getting used to riding a motorcycle was when I wanted to slow quickly I had a tendency to pull back on the throttle as I was seemingly pulling back on the handle bars. I didn't venture out on the real roads until I was comfortable that I had that under control.

Take your time and take it easy. Don't push it. It is like driving a car in that it seems easy until something goes awry and then you need experienced driving skills to avoid problems. My encouragement is to not get too confident because you feel comfortable. Grow into it.

Happy riding. :)
Thanks,

I remember when I learned to drive a manual transmission. My mom took me to a Mall parking lot and I practiced for a couple hours constantly killing the engine. It was the hardest thing to learn how to use a clutch and when to change the gears. When I was able to do that, I still stayed out of traffic and drove to nearby placed less than a few miles away. It was like a juggling act, between the driving and the clutch, stick, break, and gas peddle. It was like what you said with growing into it with the car and am finding the scooter is just like learning to drive that manual transmission even though it's an automatic, but it's still like a juggling act.

I know how to ride 2 wheels, but these 2 wheels are very different than any 2 wheels I've ridden before. I don't think I'll feel comfortable enough to take it on the high traffic roads until I master it more and especially to avoid any problems like you said. But for now, the 25mph residential, parking lots, and less traveled 35mph roads will do. I am going to take it out this morning and drive a little bit on a local 40mph Road. There's no cars on it until early afternoon, and I really want to kick myself in the butt to get in the habit of looking over my shoulder when changing lanes. Used to a car and only using the mirrors. I do like the mirrors on the pcx, but I'm not about to trust them as my only view of what's behind me and around me.

zach
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

socoguy78 wrote:
kramnala58 wrote:I really want to kick myself in the butt to get in the habit of looking over my shoulder when changing lanes. Used to a car and only using the mirrors.
You should get in the habit of looking over your shoulders in your car too, at least a sideways glance to check the blind spot, and if you do it regularly in your car then it will come more naturally on the bike. When practicing looking over your shoulder make a conscious effort to continue to ride in a straight line. People can sometimes have a tendency to swerve in the direction that they turn their head.
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

Duggle wrote:You should get in the habit of looking over your shoulders in your car too, at least a sideways glance to check the blind spot, and if you do it regularly in your car then it will come more naturally on the bike. When practicing looking over your shoulder make a conscious effort to continue to ride in a straight line. People can sometimes have a tendency to swerve in the direction that they turn their head.
I do look in my blind spot when Driving my car. 18 years driving and not one ticket or accident. *Crossing Fingers*

I did take the pcx out early this morning when there were no cars on the Roads being Saturday. Put 20 miles on it and got to ride with 3 other separate motorcycles. Interesting how the motorcycles end up grouping together on the roads as I'm seeing in Springfield, MO. We all rode in a formation for about a mile before they all went in their separate directions.

Finding the suspension on the pcx is nice, especially riding over train tracks.
Also forced my self to look over my should when lane changing and looking at each road that intersects the road I was on to make sure there wasn't a car coming who may not stop and hit me. Working on making it a natural habit. Going to watch Youtube videos today on motorcycle riding sense the motorcycle safety class wont be happening until August.

zach
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

MSF
Zach, I hope you take the course ASAP. It Will help you develop the proper riding Skills and Not self taught (possibly bad) riding Habits. There's a big difference between the two. The course might just save your butt one day! Preaching? No. Concern. Yes! Make it Happen!
Live to Ride ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

WhiteNoise wrote:MSF
Zach, I hope you take the course ASAP. It Will help you develop the proper riding Skills and Not self taught (possibly bad) riding Habits. There's a big difference between the two. The course might just save your butt one day! Preaching? No. Concern. Yes! Make it Happen!
Live to Ride ;)
Yes sir! I will. I remember getting bad habits from driving a car when I first got my license. My mother quickly undid those habits. haha. It also helped she worked in an ER and hearing/seeing the stories/accidents of people with bad driving habits. I have maybe a total of 2 weeks of being home before the course. I can't believe some of the things I see of people driving 50cc scooters, let alone those driving their cars... Sometimes I wonder how they are still alive.

zack
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

Here's 2 pics of the PCX, one with me on it driving it home from the Honda Dealership and one just sitting in the shade.
Attachments
RidingPCX.JPG
RidingPCX.JPG (43.86 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
PCX.JPG
PCX.JPG (82.86 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Ayush

Post by Ayush »

socoguy78 wrote: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:56 pm I don't have aGBWhatsApp APK motorcycle endorsement on drivers license. They will not let me drive it one mile away because of the endorsement issue and have no problems with the delivery.
Is it necessary to have the motorcycle endorsement is Springfield, MO to buy & ride PCX?
I remember buying my bike back in 2012 and they didn't ask for any endorsement or license. And i rode my bike myself to home.
leyo01
Year: 2017
Color: black

Post by leyo01 »

The Honda PCX150 is a popular scooter and users love it for its comfort level and design. It is very easy to use and operate. anonymous instagram viewer