Thinking of downsizing to a PCX

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Re: Thinking of downsizing to a PCX

Post by Cube »

I also chose the PCX for shorter and slower routes, although I have done a 100 mile ride on mine. I also have a bigger bike for the longer and faster stuff, but the PCX is a lot more fun.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

What everybody said up above is correct.. In my opinion the FORZA is so much more comfortable, stable, and almost as nimble as the littler PCX ,but it is a cruiser, and yes the Forza is going to be a heavier machine especially if you are jockeying it around . Unless you are a super strong 145 pounder get a smaller bike and stay off the highways if possible.
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Post by Sandymay »

Thanks everyone for your comments and observations. I’m not ready to give up riding, my body is fairly strong even at my advanced age of 60. Lol.

I think my next step is to go and look at lighter bikes. :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:My favourite small lightweight scooter just now is the Vespa Primavera, prettiest thing on two wheels.

Agree.

But if you've ever seen the movie Dodgeball you could never have one.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Filmed in 2004 so there couldn't have been a Primavera in Dodgeball (which I haven't seen)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't usually jump into a thread that has almost run its course, but in this case I thought it fair that I give you an opinion from both my side and from my wife's side.

When I purchased my first scooter after riding motorcycles for 50 years, I purchased a Burgman 400. I loved it in all the ways you could think of for riding....except for one. It was bulky in traffic and parking. That doesn't mean that i couldn't do those things. I could, but my wife could not, though she could ride it. She is 5 ft tall. The seat is low enough that she can actually see through the windshield and easily control it on the open road.

However, she has a PCX 150 and riding it is FUN. It is extremely easy to handle, and it can turn quite a tight turn. The only problem my wife has had is the height of the bike from the seat, which made touching the pavement at a stop sign a challenge. We have worked on that issue, so now she loves riding it.

I loved her PCX so much that I found myself taking hers out more often than my 400. Eventually I just traded it in for a PCX 150 for myself. After a bit of modification it can Max out at 75 mph. I also have a tall windshield on it to help divert the wind, and a custom seat for more comfort when I ride... oh, and I changed the shocks too. Now it is a dream machine to ride. Hers is just about as modified as mine is, so we can ride together with little effort.

The kicker: I am almost 72 right now and have had 8 back surgeries, but i am still riding. My wife has had her left shoulder rebuilt after an accident, and she has fibromyalgia. Still, riding our little bikes is what it should be. It is FUN.

Here is a picture of our bikes. Imagine what you could do on it. (Hint: freeway riding is possible but I would not recommend it. Very light bike. Still, lots and lots of back country roads to explore on it.)
Our bikes stored for winter.jpg
Our bikes stored for winter.jpg (167.38 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Filmed in 2004 so there couldn't have been a Primavera in Dodgeball (which I haven't seen)

No. It's a white Vespa. That's enough.

Primavera means spring in three of the five Romance languages if you are interested :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I did Latin at school if you are interested :D
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I did Latin at school if you are interested :D

Me too. All I can really remember where the stories :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

"Romanes eunt domus" scene cracked me up and still does.

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:"Romanes eunt domus" scene cracked me up and still does.

Is there a Vespa in it?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

It will be interesting to see how the new Forza 300 compares to the old one when it gets to the U.S.. And for that matter the PCX. . .. :geek:

The PCX is simply a joy to have. It is indeed light for moving in and out of a garage. It's got great power for getting up to 50 in respectable time and the list goes on. :D

That said windy days due make it rather twitchy. For an experienced rider it can make the ride more interesting but for a new rider it can be a bit concerning. Also those open steel grid bridges or old truss bridges can make for an entertaining crossing as well. That has a little more to do with the tire/wheel size though. ;)

Oh. . .and one last thing. . .the seat. . .the PCX could use a new seat design that is more cushioned and more universally acceptable. It's not bad. . .but it's certainly not great. :roll:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Did I mention that I can ride them through the back gate, with some wiggling of the handlebars, and then i can ride them around to our basement door and into the basement, with a little wiggling of the handlebars.
...much easier than trying to push a big bike around on the garden path.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Ayush

Post by Ayush »

gn2 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:50 am Getting a Forza on the stand is about technique.

With Forza on sidestand on firm level surface...
Take hold of left handlebar with left hand and GBWhatsApp APKgrab rail with right hand.
Place right foot on centrestand and lower it till the stand touches the ground.
Using your right leg to push against the bodywork and using your hands on the bar and grabrail, gently push the scooter upright till both centrestand feet are on the ground and put enough weight on your foot to keep both legs of the stand on the ground.
Next, stand up on your right foot puting all your weight on it (left foot clear of the ground if need be) and simultaneously pull up on the grabrail and back and up on the handlebar.
You're not trying to pull the scooter back, you're using your weight to push vertically down on the stand and pull vertically up on the grabrail.
It should pop up really easily with practice.
This technique is useful not only for forza, but also for all other heavy scooters & bikes. I used to struggle getting my bike (112 KG weight) on the center stand, around 4/5 years ago. Then one day, my neighbor Uncle (friend's dad) saw me struggling. Then he gave me the same advice on how to set the bike on center bike. I can't tell how easy it is for me now. That was a great advice. now i have a bullet which weight around 195 KG and getting it on center stand is no trouble at all. :)
motopaddy
Year: 2022
Color: grey

Post by motopaddy »

Hi , I went from a honda cb500f to a PCX , I am 56 , the PCX is very light , alot of fun and most of all its safer . It will cruise at 100 kph on the motorway all day . I have a 39 litre top case and 30 litres under the seat so I can do a weeks shopping . I hope this helps you decide , good luck .
leyo01
Year: 2017
Color: black

Post by leyo01 »

Downsizing to a PCX can be a smart move for those looking for a more compact and efficient mode of transportation. anonymous instagram viewer
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I have a whole bunch of medical problems, and 64 . My Forza is a big heavy pig, I have no money. A pcx150 would be nice. It would also force me to ride short distances
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

My Forza 300 has 180,000 km on it now and has been maintained by a bad mechanic, ME. Over 100 thousand miles of abuse.

My 64 year old body has been maintained by a bad person, me. way too much abuse. The blood clot in my leg could break apart and kill me at any time.

My bank account has way too much abuse also. I need a rich relative to leave me some money. My mother's previous two husbands recently died and left her nothing but bills. My uncle does not want to admit I exist.

I am in constant pain from the blood clot. I lost my license due to a stroke. I was able to get both my car and motorcycle licenses back. My brain damage makes me a bad driver. not safe. Not safe walking either, suicidal. my bad cup of coffee is almost done. i Quit