Coolant light came on, but I kept riding as it was 1st day @ new job! It shut off, I added water, but still rides sh**ty

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Coolant light came on, but I kept riding as it was 1st day @ new job! It shut off, I added water, but still rides sh**ty

Post by grndslm »

The coolant light had come on before, and I've managed to ride for a few miles without any noticable issues before bring able to fill with the *proper* Honda coolant... But I rode today for perhaps 12 miles, before I first starting having issues. It finally started bogging down right as I was passing a McDonald's that was open for drive thru only.

I added a cup of water to the top of the coolant tank and kept on trucking to make it to the new job without needing to call in. I made it nearly 5 miles more without noticable issues....

Well, as I'm going up a bridge @ the last mile of the ride or so.... it starts to bog down again. I'm pushing it as fast as I can go, maybe 20 to 25 mph!! Finally, once I get to the top... It's smooth sailing @ 45ish mph, until I get to one of the last 2 curves, where I slow down to 20 mph or so, where it obviously starts bogging down again. I EVENTUALLY limp on into the motorcycle parking area and clock in for this new job just minutes before I was supposed to be there!! Whew!

Now I'm wondering if I should just top it off with water again and attempt to ride it nearly 10 miles to the nearest bike shop? Or could there be an easy way to test the coolant system, test the thermostat, etc.? Or should I just drain water, add coolant, try to get any bubbles out of the system, & hope for the best?!? I know this bike shop charges twice as much as I'm really capable of paying right now, so if there are any tips that might help me (other than the obvious recommendation to NOT ride when the coolant light is on!!), I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks in advance!!
Mprime
Year: 2021
Color: White

Re: Coolant light came on, but I kept riding as it was 1st day @ new job! It shut off, I added water, but still rides sh

Post by Mprime »

I don't know if it works with the smaller bike radiator, but you might go by an auto parts supply and get a test kit to see if you have a blown head gasket. You didn't say if it's smoking or steaming from the exhaust, but the bogging you mentioned could indicate coolant in the cylinder. It's worth the try to see and doesn't take much effort to do. I would also limit putting water in your system as much as possible.

Mike