How-To: PCX 150 CVT MAINTENANCE - 25,000 miles

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

How-To: PCX 150 CVT MAINTENANCE - 25,000 miles

Post by pxc-in-japan »

40,000 kilometre / 25,000 mile CVT maintenance home-made 'how-to'
PDF file in my Google Drive with open (no login) link.
Hope this helps.
(Admin please move if I have put it in a less-than-ideal place, thanks).

Please let me know if there is anything missing from this how-to.
I think it's quite thorough - it's intended for first-timers with little-to-no experience/confidence.

Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OGFKtK ... sp=sharing

Commenting in Google Drive is enabled...but I have no idea whether Google will inform me of comments made.
It's probably best to comment here in the forum if I have made a boo-boo :)

I see there is now an 'add-file' function here, but Google is not short of server space and it's a PDF so it makes no difference.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/staninjapan/408151]Image
power-full
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010
Color: preta

Re: How-To: PCX 150 CVT MAINTENANCE - 25,000 miles

Post by power-full »

Good guys. I have this video made over 10 years ago, in the wild it was with a Peugeot Speedfight scooter. It's almost all the same, the review concept is the same.

See here: https://youtu.be/SKcfMJ4ybrU
https://www.facebook.com/sergiofininho
Pcx powerfull kit yuminashi 168cc
93000km 23.03.2022 dont stop..
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Thanks for the PDF! Many of here have made videos, tutorials, etc and this is a very nicely put together document.

I would add, that the service manual is very strict on where and how much grease is applied to the CVT area - the clutch spindel/nut should not have any grease added and only a tiny amount on the variator spindle/nut for tightening to torque, although many do not add any grease to that at all as it makes no real difference.
lexyzzz
Year: 2017
Color: red

Post by lexyzzz »

pxc-in-japan wrote:40,000 kilometre / 25,000 mile CVT maintenance home-made 'how-to'
Hope this helps.

I think it's quite thorough - it's intended for first-timers with little-to-no experience/confidence.

Link:

Commenting in Google Drive is enabled...but I have no idea whether Google will inform me of comments made.

I see there is now an 'add-file' function here, but Google is not short of server space and it's a PDF so it makes no difference.
Many thanks for the guide, its detailed and easy to read!!
U will alws be missed
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

iceman wrote:Thanks for the PDF! Many of here have made videos, tutorials, etc and this is a very nicely put together document.

I would add, that the service manual is very strict on where and how much grease is applied to the CVT area - the clutch spindel/nut should not have any grease added and only a tiny amount on the variator spindle/nut for tightening to torque, although many do not add any grease to that at all as it makes no real difference.
Iceman. Thanks for the comment.
I am unsure whether you are adding something which you feel I missed or whether you are responding to something I suggested doing.

Please let me know and please be as specific as you can. You wrote 'the CVT area' when referencing the application of grease. Please do not misunderstand me when I say that that is rather too inspecific for me to respond to. As I recall, I drew a picture of how and where to apply grease, but I did not specify an amount - although the manual says about 7 grammes is to be applied to the inner surface of the rear pully/clutch assembly. Also, I obviously stipulated that plenty of grease be applied to the pin-slots in the same assembly before replacing the sleeve, at which point I mentioned the need to be careful and clean off remaining grease from the assembly once the sleeve has been replaced.

Now that I recall, I also forgot to mention the cleaning and checking of the inner surface of the clutch-outer - an oversight I shall soon be fixing in an update of the document.

Thanks again for commenting.
ChuckD
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by ChuckD »

pxc-in-japan,
Pretty incredible work on the documentation - thank you!
Chuck
2017 PCX150
Mple Nter
Color: BLACK

Post by Mple Nter »

pxc-in-japan wrote:40,000 kilometre / 25,000 mile CVT maintenance home-made 'how-to'
Hope this helps.

Link:

Many thanx for the PDF bro. What type of grease(silicone, lithium or something else) did you use?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

Mple Nter
For this job only Suzuki Super Grease Type A, a heat resistant grease that does not get runny when warm.
Mon-Eye
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021
Color: Red

Post by Mon-Eye »

Superb right up. If only more people did this with the jobs they undertook. How's the bikes wheel bearings, head stock bearings and swing arm bearings holding up after that milage ? Just curious. Guessing the forks and shocks need a rebuild at that milage too
CBR1100XX blackbird (modified), CBR929RR Turbo, CBR600F Sport (modified), several beta trials bikes and endurance bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Excellent write up.
icj
Year: 2021
Color: white

Post by icj »

what are the torque specs of cvt? the variator and clutch nut?
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

Mon-Eye wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:46 am Superb right up. If only more people did this with the jobs they undertook. How's the bikes wheel bearings, head stock bearings and swing arm bearings holding up after that milage ? Just curious. Guessing the forks and shocks need a rebuild at that milage too
As of summer 2022, I have replaced the clutch bearings 3 times, so now at 78,000 kilometres the bike is on its 4th set.
That's just a touch under 50,000 miles.
Front wheel bearings are the original factory fit.
Head stock bearings, too.
Swing arm ones, too.
Have not touched the suspension other than to remove the rear suspension nut when removing rear wheel for various routine maintenance like break replacement, cleaning or checking, and of course tire replacement.

Bike just let me down today for the 1st time in 7 years.
Rained on all night, and now, though the engine starts, it will cut out within seconds if not revved when stationary.
Will now put the details of that in a new thread with some detail.

Glad I could be of help.
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

icj wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:27 am what are the torque specs of cvt? the variator and clutch nut?
I tighten them all by hand without a torque wrench.
I use a long socket wrench giving me plenty of leverage.
In another thread recently I detailed how I had presumably not tightened the variator nut enough about 10,000 kilometres previously at its last CVT parts replacement.
That caused the nut to slowly loosen until it contacted the CVT outer case and caused the engine to stop.
It was about the 4th or 5th time I had done CVT serving without issue.
It was clearly my fault, and now I tighten the bolts just a little more, but not to the extent that many pro mechanics do, according to some rather alarmed PCX owners who have watched pro mech's tighten their PCX's bolts monstrously tight and reported on it here.

But to answer your question...
variator nut.
59 N.M / 44 lb.ft
Clutch nut.
49 N.M / 36 lb.ft
NOTE!
That is the first nut when disassembling and final nut when assembling, and not the large (approx 40mm flat shaped) nut which retains the clutch spring/assembly. Don't know the figure for the large flat one.
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

ChuckD wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:17 am pxc-in-japan,
Pretty incredible work on the documentation - thank you!
Chuck
Very welcome.
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

you you wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:10 pm Excellent write up.
Thank you.
Ozzibiker
Year: 2016
Color: Pearl Blue

Post by Ozzibiker »

This post is helpful.

But you don't need to remove the side panel
You should be able to get a small socket wrench onto the three bolts on the CVT cover (the front one is the hardest) and from there continue as you show.
It saves time and less chance of damage to side cover.

I don't put grease on the weights. I've done it before, but even a little will leak out. It also collects dust and increases wear.
Honda PCX 150 - 2016
Honda VFR400 - 1989
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

Ozzibiker wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:01 am This post is helpful.

But you don't need to remove the side panel
You should be able to get a small socket wrench onto the three bolts on the CVT cover (the front one is the hardest) and from there continue as you show.
It saves time and less chance of damage to side cover.

I don't put grease on the weights. I've done it before, but even a little will leak out. It also collects dust and increases wear.
Hi, thanks for replying.

Although we do not <need> to remove the footplate side-fairing, and, as you say, the job can be done without doing so, I always remove it.
I understand your point about it being fragile when removed and replaced, though.
When I checked my engine exhaust and inlet vales, I snapped a clip just to the left of the seat, about where the riders backside/thigh goes, and though it makes no practical difference whatsoever to the functioning of the scooter, I was bloody annoyed with myself. It wasn't even a cold day when I did it.

I am not sure precisely what I said in the manual I made as it was a long time ago now, but I certainly would not have suggested greasing the front pulley weights, though I may have mentioned that some people like to. I see no need at all, myself.

Funnily enough, on Saturday I changed the entirety of the CVT parts with brand new ones.
The bike has now done 84,000 kilometres (about 52,000 miles) and though I have changed the belt/rollers every 20,000 kilos and the pulleys every 40,000 kilos, I was still on the original clutch weights and clutch outer. The wear was visible, but not horrific, but the juddering upon pulling away for the first 15 minutes or so of every journey was not acceptable.
If the bearings in the clutch, which tend to die very quickly, last 20,000 kilos, I will not open up the CVT again until 105,000 kilos.
We shall see...
Ozzibiker
Year: 2016
Color: Pearl Blue

Post by Ozzibiker »

The clips are annoying. I think I broke the same one when doing valves recently. I plastic welded it back on, but I'm sure it will break again.

You may not have mentioned grease on the weights, but I've seen people suggest this. I think it's best to use very little grease on the drive pulley area as it just collects dirt and causes wear.

I have 17,000 km, but I want to use my PCX for a long time.

Your fuel consumption doesn't seem so good. Has it got worse over time?
I get 2.0 L / 100km (50 km / L), but when I bought the scooter I got 1.7 L / 100km (58 km / L). I think it is due to pulley face wear. I'll change weights soon to see if it helps.

I'm also going to change some transmission gears, which I'll post about.

I may have to change my clutch bearings soon. So far it looks good.
Honda PCX 150 - 2016
Honda VFR400 - 1989
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

Ozzibiker wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:56 pm The clips are annoying. I think I broke the same one when doing valves recently. I plastic welded it back on, but I'm sure it will break again.

You may not have mentioned grease on the weights, but I've seen people suggest this. I think it's best to use very little grease on the drive pulley area as it just collects dirt and causes wear.

I have 17,000 km, but I want to use my PCX for a long time.

Your fuel consumption doesn't seem so good. Has it got worse over time?
I get 2.0 L / 100km (50 km / L), but when I bought the scooter I got 1.7 L / 100km (58 km / L). I think it is due to pulley face wear. I'll change weights soon to see if it helps.

I'm also going to change some transmission gears, which I'll post about.

I may have to change my clutch bearings soon. So far it looks good.
** I use no grease on the drive pulley (the pulley on the engine crank for those who are new to this).

** If you go my fuelly.com page by clicking my fuelly banner, you'll see a more detailed breakdown of my fuel economy. To put it simply, the bike has given me an average of 47 KPL actual / 54 KPL indicated for 7 years. In recent months that has dropped by about 10 percent. It has risen a little since replacing ALL CVT parts last week, but it has not yet risen to its long-term average sated above. It may never do so. It may be due to other wear+tear on parts contributing to lower fuel economy. For the time being, though, the smoothness when pulling away from standstill; on roll-on acceleration; during high-speed cruising has moved back towards what is used to be. So yes, F.E. has got worse, but only very recently and in one sudden drop of about 10% with the above info to be considered.

** I have changed clutch bearings five times now, if we include those factory-fitted ones already installed in the rear-pulley assembly just fitted. That is at 84,000 kilos.

** By "transmission gears", I assume you mean those otherwise known as "final drive" or "reduction gears."

Good luck and safe riding.