2017 PCX150 Belt damaged 3 times on highway

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ghanesh
Year: 2017
Color: white

2017 PCX150 Belt damaged 3 times on highway

Post by ghanesh »

My 2017 model PCX is at 37000km. I bought in 2018. I changed the original belt at 32000km last year 2022 with a local mechanic. This Jan 2023, I heard a different sound from rollers, so went for a service with the same mechanic. He asked me to change the belt and rollers. I was a bit surprised because the belts are designed to last 24000km. I trusted him and changed the belt. It lasted for a week and totally stopped giving any acceleration to my bike. Upon opening the Driven face unit, the mechanic said the belt is fully damaged. He replaced it free of cost and let me go. The 2nd new belt again got damaged, but this time in a dangerous way middle of the highway. I have to call the emergency tow vehicle to tow my bike to the service station. That mechanic was surprised to see the damage and said the belt is damaged. This time he replaced again the entire set with parts from Indonesia. Previously he used parts from Thailand. 3rd belt lasted for 3 days and the belt broke middle of the highway again putting everyone on the highway in an extremely dangerous situation.
All the while mechanic says he used only the original parts from Honda. I wonder where to get the original parts. Anyone, please help me with a link.
ghanesh
Year: 2017
Color: white

Re: 2017 PCX150 Belt damaged 3 times on highway

Post by ghanesh »

ghanesh wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:51 pm My 2017 model PCX is at 37000km. I bought in 2018. I changed the original belt at 32000km last year 2022 with a local mechanic. This Jan 2023, I heard a different sound from rollers, so went for a service with the same mechanic. He asked me to change the belt and rollers. I was a bit surprised because the belts are designed to last 24000km. I trusted him and changed the belt. It lasted for a week and totally stopped giving any acceleration to my bike. Upon opening the Driven face unit, the mechanic said the belt is fully damaged. He replaced it free of cost and let me go. The 2nd new belt again got damaged, but this time in a dangerous way middle of the highway. I have to call the emergency tow vehicle to tow my bike to the service station. That mechanic was surprised to see the damage and said the belt is damaged. This time he replaced again the entire set with parts from Indonesia. Previously he used parts from Thailand. 3rd belt lasted for 3 days and the belt broke middle of the highway again putting everyone on the highway in an extremely dangerous situation.
All the while mechanic says he used only the original parts from Honda and says this is happening due to CVT being damaged I am not sure if that was the case.
I wonder where to get the original parts. Anyone, please help me with a link?
Mprime
Year: 2021
Color: White

Re: 2017 PCX150 Belt damaged 3 times on highway

Post by Mprime »

One of the guys I follow on Youtube, Quasimotard, had a similar issue with his 2016. He believes it was from using an aftermarket variator. In his case it was a NCY. Do you know if your mechanic replaced the variator when you had the belt changed? If he did, going back to a stock unit might fix the issue.