Check Engine Light

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Multirc
Year: 2022
Color: White

Check Engine Light

Post by Multirc »

Hello all and great forum. I have a 2022 PCX USA version. I live in Miami Florida. My bike is fairly new with 1400 miles on it. I brought it in for the 600 mile service, had the oil changed and I keep it in showroom condition. Even underneath. I have OCD when it come to being clean.

Just wanted ti give you that little background to see that the bike is well taken care of.

Now, I bought RGB LED lights to install all inside the bike. I CAREFULLY tried to find routes on how to run the cables with the lights so that I don’t mess anything up like pulling hoses or connectors out while snaking the lights through. I have disconnected the battery which is fairly brand new. I disconnected the positive first, followed by the negative. I did this last night and when re-connecting the battery and running the bike, all was fine. This was only a trial run to see where to mount all the lights.

Today I was doing the same thing and realized that its best to run cables on the left side of the bike (sitting on bike) I disconnected the battery again, re-connected and when I go to start the bike, the Check Engine light is now on and steady. Nothing wrong with the bike. She starts right up, all lights, signals, brake lights work.

Can disconnecting the battery throw the Check Engine light on?

Thanks for any input. Scratching my head here like WTH?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Re: Check Engine Light

Post by Jge64 »

Disconnecting and reconnecting The battery should not turn the check engine light on. I’ve done it hundreds of times. I always remove the ground first and then reverse the process when reconnecting. The only way to quickly tell why the light came on, is to hook up a code reader, or take it back to the dealership and have them put it on the box. Check the fuses before you take it in.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Multirc
Year: 2022

Re: Check Engine Light

Post by Multirc »

Thanks for the info. I contacted my boy who works at Honda and contacted his friend who is a good mechanic. Better than the ones at Honda. His friend said that 2016 and up, battery disconnect can cause the light to come on. Not on all bikes though. He said to ride it for about 5-10 miles and see if it goes off. Well, at the 2 mile mark, the light went off and hasn't come back on since. Im so happy and relieved. I guess it acts like a TPMS sensor…LOL!! Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated!!