PCX did not even try to turn over after 3mo on battery charger

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

PCX did not even try to turn over after 3mo on battery charger

Post by romnation »

My scooter has been on a trickle charger for 3 months. Scooter did not want to start, have no idea why really either. My theory is just that the battery which I think is still original from 2015 just really needs to be swapped out. It was left connected to a trickle charger, but when I tried to start it finally, it didn't even try to turn over. Everything else came on, headlights and whatnot but engine would not make any noise. I power cycled the thing probably 5 times, then it finally decided to try to start and came up right away.

It's possible also I guess that the trickle charger wasn't charging right, but I am pretty sure it was. If not, I would be surprised if it would start at all after 3 months. Another theoriy is possibly something wonky is going on with the kickstand sensor, because it won't let you start it with kickstand down I know.

Feel like just swapping the battery that is guaranteed to leave my stranded at some point soon is probably step 1. Any ideas / thoughts?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: PCX did not even try to turn over after 3mo on battery charger

Post by Jge64 »

When a battery has sulfates and gone bad it doesn’t matter what kind of charger you’ve got on it, it will do no good. Take the battery down to the auto parts store have it load tested and voltage tested and you’ll probably buy a new one.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Jge64 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:49 pm When a battery has sulfates and gone bad it doesn’t matter what kind of charger you’ve got on it, it will do no good. Take the battery down to the auto parts store have it load tested and voltage tested and you’ll probably buy a new one.
+1
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

So it started eventually? Will it start today? Go for a decent ride and come back and see what happens tomorrow.

Sidestand switch? Just cycle the sidestand a few times.