Turn Signal Problems

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Margabuck
Year: 2019

Turn Signal Problems

Post by Margabuck »

New to the PCX world. I just purchased my first bike: a 2019 PCX ABS to carry behind my RV. Only 1,400 miles on it and in good physical shape. Except for the turn signals...neither the front or rear signals work (left or right side). However, the instrument cluster signals indicators both work.

I understand the service manual for the bike is not avail on the web. I guess you have to purchase it. The owner's manual doesn't have any info to work with. I'm a car guy so figured I could solve this...but looking to get some direction before diving in.

I read this post: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11432 which provides a great overview of the bike's turn signals. The wiring diagram is awesome...thanks Mel46.

It's highly unlikely that all 4 LED turn signals are out. It seems the turn signal fuse also controls the the headlights and brake lights and since those are working I'll rule the fuse out.

There's an LED control unit that seems to take the input from the switch and send power to lights. What's funny is that the Instrument indicators are good...but the rear and front aren't. I assuming this LED unit is bad. I would check voltage out of the control unit terminals 4-9 to confirm this.

Does this sound good to anyone out there? If so, where is the LED Control unit on the bike?

Let's say I can't easily get to this unit...or replace it. What about getting a seperate signal relay, wiring it to the battery and the L/R signal in wires, and then connecting the output to the 4 wires going out to the LED turn signals? I figured that's my work-around.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Turn Signal Problems

Post by iceman »

Honda issused a dealer recall for some years from '14 onwards for turn signal failure - 30 minute FOC dealer replacement for the faulty part. You could contact Honda giving your VIN number and see if yours should have had the replacement fitted.
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

I have one of those PCXs who have gotten a recall letter, here on the Belgium website of honda you can fill in your VIN (https://www.fl.honda.be/motorcycles/own ... dates.html ) and find out if yours is affected as well.

Probably, wherever you are located, there is a similar site where you can check ;).

I have not yet went for the replacement simply because my indicators work 'most' of the time - for the times that they stop working it helps to put on the 4 hazard lights, leave it on for some time (which of course does not make the blinkers blink as they arent working at that time due to this LCU unit fault). But strangely after switching the hazard light switch back off, the blinkers work again in 80% of the time.

I should really take the time to get it to the dealer for the free LCU replacement.
Margabuck

Post by Margabuck »

Thanks for the lead on the recall. Unfortunately, no specific recalls for my VIN or my model. The US lookup is here:
https://powersports.honda.com/recalls.

So I'm back to fixing it myself. If replacing the LCU control unit is a "30 min fix" at the dealership, shouldn't be that difficult. Can someone make a copy of the service man pages where that is mentioned and post it? Or would that be overstepping bounds?
Margabuck

Post by Margabuck »

I'm off in a diff direction. It seems that the wiring diagram linked in the other post doesn't apply to 2019 units and newer. The LED control unit is only on 2018 and older units. There's a great parts breakdown of each year & model at Revzilla website. Mine was here:
https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/2019 ... pcx150-abs

Seems there's a turn signal relay that may be bad, but I'm not sure if that is the culprit. Guess it's time to purchase the service manual...
Margabuck

Post by Margabuck »

I thought I'd update this post. I got all of the turn signals working. Here are my lessons learned:

1. Get the service manual. There are MANY differences between a 2011, 2013, 2017, and my 2019 model. The service manual was invaluable with removing body panels (in the correct order) and troubleshooting both the blinker relay and the actual light assy. I bought my manual here: http://www.helminc.com. It was $50. If you want to work on your bike, it's worth every penny. It had a nice 2-page, fold out wiring diagram, too.

2. I thought the issue was my blinker relay. (PN 38301-KZZ-J01 or Mitsuba FR36-001). Neither front turn signals or rear set was working...however the gauge cluster turn signal indicator lights WERE working. I should have known it wasn't the blinker relay. If there are lights blinking...it's not the relay. To get to this relay, you have to tear down the bike fiberglass almost completely...so figured I'd go there and work backward.

3. I had a volt signal to the harness connection of both the front and rear light assys. So the actual lights were out. The previous owner was storing the bike at his lake house when it fell over, got rained on, and sat in water for multiple days while no one was there. That's when the lights stopped working...so I had an idea there was a short. But in all 4 turn signal lights? Yes, it can happen...

4. The front light assy is a montrosity. It's a large, sealed assy with no access to individual lights...you can't change them. If one goes out you're stuck...but they are LED and should last for a long time. You shouldn't HAVE to change them. PN 33100-K97-T01. Revzilla wants $925 for it. Some guy is selling an aftermarket version out of the UK on ebay for $185 + $50 shipping...but that's still a lot of money and maybe 3 wks for delivery. Being sealed, water got in through a rubber stopper where the wires go in. Plus it's not waterproof...I'm sure if you hold it under water, eventually water will seep in. Luckly no damage to any other part of the bike (that I've found) from the bike laying on its side in water.

5. I decided to fix the big light assy (if I screwed it up I'd throw it out and buy the aftermarket). I was going to drill a large hole behind the turn signal lights, pull the bad ones out, replace with new ones and reseal the holes. The back side of the light is covered up when installed, so you don't see any of this mod. Used a 1" hole saw and drilled through the outer case. The turn signal light was mounted on some electronic card that I couldn't remove. So I drilled a 1/2" hole through the card, installed T10 LED light socket with bulb through it, and wired the leads into the turn signal wiring. Then I used a 1" rubber gasket to seal up the hole. It worked, but...

6. I was an idiot. When I drilled through the first "card," I drilled down and all of the dust and dirt got into the turn signal light "area." Not so bad, but there's actually passageways that connect this area to the running lights area and even the head light area. So I spent a lot of time with a vacuum trying to suck out all the dust & dirt. When I did the opposite side, I held unit so I drilled up and got 1/20 the dust and dirt inside the light area. I can still see dust & debris in the light assy...but no one else can tell but me. ;)

7. There was also lot of water and moisture inside the assy. I shook it out the best I could. There are weep holes at the bottom of it. But couldn't get all of it out. Solution was to let it sit in the hot sun for 4-5 hrs. I had it turned so the large holes I drilled behind the turn signal lights were at the top. This turned all of the water inside to water vapor that rose near those holes. Then I took the unit inside air conditioned space and immediately put a vacuum hose on one hole and sucked all of the water vapor out of the unit and replaced it with conditioned air. Also left one of those silica bags that you get with electronics inside the unit when I was done with my work. Not a drop of moisture inside now.

8. Ok, here's the lesson for the actual LED lights. I put a 2W bulb in my new T10 socket. When I turned the blinker on, it barely lit up and the gauge turn signal indicator didn't go at all. I thought maybe it was the blinker relay...so I bypassed it & hooked the lights up directly to the batt. Viola, they all worked great. So a relay issue, right? On a hunch, I ordered some 1W LED bulbs while I was hunting for a new relay. 1W bulbs came in and everything worked perfect. I even wired two 1W bulbs into the circuit just to make sure the relay could power the front, rear, and gauge lights all at once. Lesson learned is that is you are getting aftermarket turn signal lights for a 2019+ bike, you need to make sure the LED pulls only 1W or the blinker relay won't be able to power it.

9. With the front assy "reworked" so that new 1W LED bulbs were now in the front turn signal areas and spliced into the wiring harness, I now looked at the back light assy. PN 33700-K97-T01...Revzilla wants $554 for it. It's not as easy to mod this one (the back side of the turn signal light is actually not covered up...you would be able to see the work). Instead, I picked one of these boys up on ebay for $50. It was just a one-for-one replacement. (It had a small crack in the case that I taped over with clear, really sticky packing tape to seal it up). Checked the lights before I reinstalled it to make sure everything worked.

10. Actually getting the body panels off was fairly straight forward if you follow the service manual. I used a plastic puddy knife to pry off panels that needed it. I purchased extra trim clips (Honda Rivet, 6mm) and used those for the ones I busted getting them out. I made sure that every piece I took off, I put all of its hardware in a plastic baggie and wrote on it what piece that was for. I had 10-12 plastic bags when it was all laid out...so I'm glad I did that.

Anywho, I hope you got some entertainment out of my project. I spent ~$100 on the fix and a bunch of hours...maybe 8-10 total. It's a 2-3 hours to tear down the bike panels and a couple hours just to put it back together. I spent another 2-3 fixing the front light assy. Another 1-2 with the wrong sized LED light. So it adds up. But bike is back together and works good-as-new.