Considering Scooter or SuperMoto

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

GLMontyWV

Considering Scooter or SuperMoto

Post by GLMontyWV »

New member, just registered this morning. Currently don’t own any two wheel motorized vehicles. Caught the bug a couple weeks ago to get something to commute (5miles) and play on. I haven’t had a motorcycle in 15 years (I’m 53) and I’ve never owned a scooter. My last was a KLR650 and it was a lot of fun but tall and top heavy and a bit of work to mess with. Kids were school age and I had no time for it so I let it go. So any way, I started looking around, reading, watching YouTubes and trying to decide what would be best to scratch this itch and based on budget, limited local availability and needs/wants, I’ve narrowed it down to 2 pretty different choices…a 2022 PCX ABS or a Kawasaki KLX300SM (the SuperMoto version of their dual sport). I think I could have a good time on both and both could meet my wants….fun and easy to ride. The KLX would be a little faster and a little better suited to pull onto the interstate but that really isn’t a need. It would also have a little more power to lug around my 288lbs. As I’m in WV (USA), going anywhere does involve occasional hills. My only scooter experience is a little 49cc in Key West for a week, I had a blast on it.

So anyway, appreciate any feedback on my situation that may help me make this choice. I’m leaning toward the KLX but keep looking back at the PCX. Any reasons why you think I may be disappointed with either choice. Thanks!

Monty
tjupille
Year: 2013
Color: red

Re: Considering Scooter or SuperMoto

Post by tjupille »

If you're going to use freeways, the PCX is *not* a good choice. It's underpowered (yeah, you might get it up to 65 uphill with a tailwind), particularly for a heavy load. I'm 210lb and my 2013 struggles to keep 45-50mph on the one hill I encounter on my commute. And it's too light for interstate running; it gets blown around as you get passed by anything bigger than an SUV.

Much as I love my PCX, I'd say go for the Kawa.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I agree, if you’re going to do any type of interstate work or longer than one or two exits, the PCX is just too underpowered and too light. In my opinion, interstate work starts at 300 cc.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
GLMontyWV

Post by GLMontyWV »

Interstate is not a necessity. The roads I would be on top out at 55mph.
GLMontyWV

Post by GLMontyWV »

Going to test drive a PCX in a few hours. Excited for the experience.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Now the discussion becomes whether you get a scooter or a motorcycle. After having ridden motorcycles for 30 years and owning at least 20 of them, I moved to a scooter in 2015. I have never looked back. With complete ability to store so much stuff underneath the seat is so nice compared to a motorcycle where you have to strap stuff to her luggage rack, and really don’t have that much other options. With the scooter you can keep a rain suit underneath the seat, an artificial inflator, tools, etc and still have room to go get groceries. I would never go back to a motorcycle.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
GLMontyWV

Post by GLMontyWV »

OK, test ride in the books.

Fun? Absolutely.
Acceleration level? Very good.
Acceleration up hill? Slow but at least it wasn’t loosing speed.
Ride comfort? OK, bumps weren’t too harsh.

I kept worrying I was going to drag the pegs in turns and starting out I was really looking for a clutch LOL

I think this could be super fun and practical and a good reintroduction to 2 wheels. Going to try to make my mind up tonight.

Thanks!