Rear wheel spin when on centerstand feels rough

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

9iMJBhC7!zWyV@$
Year: 2020
Color: red

Rear wheel spin when on centerstand feels rough

Post by 9iMJBhC7!zWyV@$ »

With the engine off, when I spin the rear wheel there's a slight grittiness that just emerged. The wheel has the typical resistance to being spun, but has always been smooth and solid. Now it feels slightly rough. I noticed it first when just moving the scooter, I could feel a slight vibration through the handlebar I was gripping when moving it, from the slight resistance of the wheel turning. Nothing apparent riding. And certainly wouldn't feel it because it's subtle and the engine vibration even at idle would mask it.

I'm hoping someone has encountered this. I've owned these for years and never had this. Bearings? Seems unlikely, only 8000 miles. And I think there'd be more resistance. This is just a rough turning. Drum brake part? It's not something rubbing since the sensation is a bit "uneven" and is barely audible. Not a plastic part like the fender cover, which would be louder and you could hear where it is located. This sounds inside, you can hear a very slight sound of the wheel turning, which before was more or less silent. And the accompanying rough feel.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Rear wheel spin when on centerstand feels rough

Post by DAB »

Mine's been like it for about 7 years, nothing to worry about. Can't remember the cause but it's not there when the clutch is engaged.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Search this forum, youtube, google for clutch bearing noise and it may show you whats wrong. I road with it like that for a year+ and no issues then swapped the face driven set out.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I wouldn't expect a 2020 version to have the clutch bearing issue. The earlier models had this problem on some of them, though not all of them. I haven't had any problems on my 2013 model, though my wife's 2013 model did have the clutch bearing go out. I think the factory had some problems with a supplier not greasing the bearings adequately. Once they went through the bad ones I would have thought that the problem would have gone away.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
9iMJBhC7!zWyV@$
Year: 2020
Color: red

Post by 9iMJBhC7!zWyV@$ »

The rubbing has surprised me as well. I wouldn't have expected with this amount of miles and proper maintenance to have a mystery issue like this. I had a 2016 before this 2020 and with regular maintenance had no mechanical issues so it's disappointing because the labor charge in my area is $129 per hour and the local dealer is definitely going to take it to me on the repair.
Ralf_CT
Year: 2012 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by Ralf_CT »

9iMJBhC7!zWyV@$ wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:51 pm The labor charge in my area is $129 per hour and the local dealer is definitely going to take it to me on the repair.
If $129/hour is US Dollars then that equates to R2,154/hour in South African terms, you wouldn't even pay that here for a Ferrari/Aston Martin service. Here we can expect to pay R300-R400/hour for a scooter service (roughly $20).

Re your noise, it could very well be your clutch bearing, although many say the later models don't have that problem. I've imported all the parts for my 2012 bearing job, it has basically been 'rough' since I bought it at 134km in 2016 (now on 7,700km and VERY rough), I just need to get some tools, or make my own.
Pearl White, 2012 Honda PCX150, 8,550kms... and increasing slowly.