New LED Headlights

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Brice
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

New LED Headlights

Post by Brice »

The old headlights lost their high beams. Time to replace. Any LEDs out there?... Amazon, no. Ebay, no,

Let's see what Ali Baba has...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... 4c4dbX9Lkj

There have been a few discussions about the LED headlights. So for the sake of knowledge gathering, I bought them, installed them and have been using for about 200 miles this spring.

The main concern for me is that they last. I can't get my hands worked under and around and still have still have strength to remove the headlights. For me this is remove the panels job. bah.

The Order: They came within the schedule time. 2 weeks I think

The Fit: They fit as frustrating tight as the others.

The Illumination:
Daytime: Bright. I think brighter than the originals. When I checked them out, I feel that my visibility is better than before.
Nighttime: I have only driven at night a few times with the old ones. The old didn't impress me. I have yet to give these a road test, but in my driveway these didn't impress me either, they may be even a little worse than the old ones. I do know I'll need to keep the lows on when passing traffic. There are bright in the daytime. They could be blinding at night.

Verdict: Time will tell. If I get 2 years (10k miles) out of them, I'll proclaim them a good deal.

Note: I am fortunate that while I replacing the headlights, my body screws screwed like rabbits. I had a couple screws in the screw pan! Lucky me! They must have made babies. Either that or I didn't replace get them all back in the panels. I'm going with the reproduction theory. Its much easier on the ego.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Re: New LED Headlights

Post by mymitzi »

Thanks for sharing. Were you able to project the new lights on a wall, to see/compare the pattern?
Hope they get the job done for you. Sure seems reasonable. Have had screw proliferation too. : )
pcx888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: pearl white

Post by pcx888 »

Check out my link I have info for complete led setup.
2011 White PCX
Michelin Tire City Grip Front and Rear
Aftermarket Thai Seat.
JDM Front lights and Rear Lights and Fender.
NCY Variator, And Face and 13 Dr. pulley sliders.
Rear NCY 1000 contra spring.
NCY Textured clutch bell.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Thanks pcx888
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Thanks! I have now ordered some! I have been waiting for them to start selling the led bulbs in lots of less than 100, since they seem to be the only ones left who sell them. Even though I know that I will have to sell my bike soon enough, I still want led headlights. (I already have led aux lights that I turn on every time I ride, but more is better.)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Brice
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by Brice »

Mel,
When you do yours, can you do a before and after comparison like mymitzi suggested? I wish I thought of using a wall.

The price is definitely reasonable. There are few different vendors, not that I can tell one from another about quality.
I actually luck with another Ali Baba vendor. I got a refund on a product that went bad! So I if this LED goes bad within a year, I'll ask for refund and hope for the best.

Good luck with yours
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

I would not recommend those style LED headlight bulbs.. If you are going to to go LED go with something like this. Cluster LED bulbs like the ones you bought are much more likely to short out quicker.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 3.45.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 3.45.01 PM.png (163.93 KiB) Viewed 2248 times

Either way I would highly recommend HID over LED for longevity. Ive experimented a LOT with HID vs LED and LED never lasts as long. Not bc the LED is bad, but typically these cheap china made LEDs have much more opportunities to fail. HID is just 1 bulb.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I agree with Conlite in that LED lights don't seem to last as long as the manufacturer installed ones, but the trade off is much much brighter lights. I have aux LED lights installed on my bike with a separate switch on the handlebar so that I won't be left in the dark if the bulbs burn out while riding at night. I may by a backup pair of bulbs later on, after I test the pair I just ordered. No one else seems to have HS5 LED bulbs.

I have installed LED bulbs in my older car and they usually burn out after 5 or 6 months. As expensive as it gets to replace those bulbs, the tradeoff is like night vs day. I solved that burn out problem by adding a DRL strip to my car and not turning the headlights on until dusk. By the way Conlite, the last led bulbs you showed a picture of as preferred, well those are what I have in my car. Even they burn out.

On the bike, well, I will just have to see. I have taken my bike apart quite a few times, so no fear there, but I am go ing to experiment with installation and removal of the bulbs to see if there is an easier way to do it.

Hopefully I can find a spare wall to use to check the lineup of the beams.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Mel46 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:41 am By the way Conelite, the last led bulbs you showed a picture of as preferred, well those are what I have in my car. Even they burn out.
ha ha ha. Same. I switched from HID to LED's on my Element. They were great for maaaaybe a year then it started to dim. Didn't think much of it but just kept getting work. This is what was left. one unit had only 1 LED on, the second one both LED's actually de-soldered themselves off the housing. Back to HID's I went.
20210409_125930.jpg
20210409_125930.jpg (88.99 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
affeno
Color: red

Post by affeno »

Hello I have tried a lot of diffrent led lights on my pcx 2013 and find out that philips -hl-M5 is very good very bright and good picture
Attachments
RIMG1064.JPG
RIMG1064.JPG (203.79 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
Nnzrr
Color: White

Post by Nnzrr »

affeno wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:01 pm Hello I have tried a lot of diffrent led lights on my pcx 2013 and find out that philips -hl-M5 is very good very bright and good picture
You change the HS5 socket?
affeno
Color: red

Post by affeno »

I live in Thailand and this socket are on all small motorbikes like pcx
comecamino
Year: 2011
Color: Black

Post by comecamino »

affeno wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:59 am I live in Thailand and this socket are on all small motorbikes like pcx
small motorbikes like the old Honda cg125, forget about installing those in a pcx, the connector doesnt even match! wtf

Honestly guys the best you can do is buy the proper halogen bulb, because the led simple does not offer the same light amount/quality/distribution (or whatever you wanna call it) to be reflected in the back of the headlamp in order to direct the beam correctly..... at the end at night either you will have to adjust the height upwards thus blinding other people with the light turning you into the most despicable human being on your area or, you wont see a thing because the beam points too low.

Sincerely I have a *really* small hope that some manufacturer would make a proper (homologated) HS5 retrofit because this precisely bulb as far as I know is not that common and we all know how capitalism works :lol: .... in the meanwhile we just have to deal with the "good 'ol halogen bulb"
BobW55
Year: 2022
Color: White

Post by BobW55 »