Belt supposed to be this loose?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

jgriffin187
Year: 2021
Color: white

Belt supposed to be this loose?

Post by jgriffin187 »

Hi all,

I have a 2021 PCX and have just installed a NCY CVT kit. I haven’t put the cover back on (or ridden) after the install because the belt looks loose. Is this normal? The CVT kit install was very straightforward, but don’t recall if the belt looked this way with the oem clutch, rollers, etc.

Video of belt:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hCyrCq ... sp=sharing

Thanks,
Josh
power-full
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010
Color: preta

Re: Belt supposed to be this loose?

Post by power-full »

that's how it is when the engine runs it stretches automatically
https://www.facebook.com/sergiofininho
Pcx powerfull kit yuminashi 168cc
93000km 23.03.2022 dont stop..
jgriffin187

Post by jgriffin187 »

Thanks for the reply. I knew that it was a little loose at idle and would tighten up under throttle, but this just seems really loose now. The belt slaps against the case at idle and I can see belt dust showing up in the case after a minute of running. Still seems odd. I have a new belt showing up in a few days and I'll test with that one as well.
Echosong
Year: 2019
Color: White

Post by Echosong »

How did you go on this one jgriffin? I'm looking at adding the variator kit to my 2021 model and can't work out if I should get one of the belts that come with or if I should keep the stock one.
tomtomclub2021
Year: 2014

Post by tomtomclub2021 »

Strongly suspect this was not fitted correctly given the video, way too much slapping. It will not fall into place but itself by accelerating, that's wishful thinking.You need to "open" the driven face at the rear and make sure the belt go down as much as possible when installing so that the belt radius on the variator is as wide as possible before tightening the variator nut. Go slow and double check.
jgriffin187

Post by jgriffin187 »

Thank you for the replies. Quick update, I did install the new belt (with the NCY CVT kit) and it now runs perfect (with no belt slapping). I have no idea why the OEM belt (with 60 miles on it) was larger than the replacement belt (or maybe it stretched somehow), but the new belt did solve it. @Echosong, I do recommend the kit, but I'd order a new belt to install at the same time. Again, not sure why the (almost new) OEM belt didn't play nicely.
tomtomclub2021
Year: 2014

Post by tomtomclub2021 »

You have probably been just more careful mounting the new one...