Front Brake - slight pulsing grinding noise when applying front brake

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

kdwetzel
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Front Brake - slight pulsing grinding noise when applying front brake

Post by kdwetzel »

Hi All,
Here's the background. Last November I went to a 7hills scooter rally in Richmond VA, drove from Harrisburg PA. I rode my 2015 Forza down and back. It was cold so I put handle bar mittens on the scooter and wore winter insulated gloves. So it was tight inside the mittens. I also thought I would try a cheap $11 device called the 'cruise control' on the throttle. Long story short, with the combination of these factors I managed to ride with the front brakes on. My wife who was behind me in her car asked me after we got home why I was ridding with the brakes on so much? o_O Shortly after that I noticed the slight pulsing grinding noise coming from the front brakes. If I take the brake off myself, what should I look for as the problem? Would just a good cleaning fix it? Other than the noise I can't detect any braking issues. Btw, the 7hills rally was a great time for me and my wife.
canthai
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Re: Front Brake - slight pulsing grinding noise when applying front brake

Post by canthai »

Most often a disc brake pulsing can be traced to a warped rotor
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

How much front pad do you have left?
kdwetzel

Post by kdwetzel »

Would that be cause by excessive heat from the brakes being on just a touch at say 70 mph for several minutes at a time?
kdwetzel

Post by kdwetzel »

davenowherejones wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:24 pm How much front pad do you have left?
I'll check tomorrow morning.
canthai
Regular User
Regular User

Post by canthai »

kdwetzel wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:29 pm Would that be cause by excessive heat from the brakes being on just a touch at say 70 mph for several minutes at a time?
Yes
kdwetzel

Post by kdwetzel »

kdwetzel wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:32 pm
davenowherejones wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:24 pm How much front pad do you have left?
FYI.
I haven't checked the wear marks yet. However, I have to correct myself based on my recent riding experience. The pulsing rubbing sound is not related to applying the brakes, front or back. I coasted several times without applying any brakes. I can only hear it when the speed drops to 10 mph or below. And I cannot say it is definitely coming from the front. It may be coming from the back. I'll have to try and rig up a microphone to isolate where the sound is coming from.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

You can do a visual inspection on the front pads very easily without having to take anything apart. Have a knowledgeable friend take a 5 second look.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Don't forget that the Forza has linked brakes. If you put on the front brakes you use two pistons (1,3) but if you put on the rear brakes you use one rear piston and one front piston(middle, #2)
Mon-Eye
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021

Post by Mon-Eye »

davenowherejones wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:11 am Don't forget that the Forza has linked brakes. If you put on the front brakes you use two pistons (1,3) but if you put on the rear brakes you use one rear piston and one front piston(middle, #2)
Never like the honda system off doing that. Doesnt work well at all when pushed hard or when the surface adhesion isn't good. Delinked my blackbird and its way better for it
CBR1100XX blackbird (modified), CBR929RR Turbo, CBR600F Sport (modified), several beta trials bikes and endurance bikes
Mon-Eye
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021

Post by Mon-Eye »

Did you get any joy with your front brake. Best way to test if the disk is warped is use a DTI but most people don't have one. If your fairy scarce on the tool makers measuring kit. Try spinning front wheel with it off the ground and hold an object against the front brake disk off the fork leg. If its touching the disk then isn't then is as it rotates then its warped
CBR1100XX blackbird (modified), CBR929RR Turbo, CBR600F Sport (modified), several beta trials bikes and endurance bikes
kdwetzel

Post by kdwetzel »

kdwetzel wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:26 pm
kdwetzel wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:32 pm
FYI.
I haven't checked the wear marks yet. However, I have to correct myself based on my recent riding experience. The pulsing rubbing sound is not related to applying the brakes, front or back. I coasted several times without applying any brakes. I can only hear it when the speed drops to 10 mph or below. And I cannot say it is definitely coming from the front. It may be coming from the back. I'll have to try and rig up a microphone to isolate where the sound is coming from.
I don't think it's a brake issue anymore because I can hear the rubbing noise when coasting below 10 mph without applying any brakes. I also revved the motor with the scooter on the center stand and let it idle down several times and I did not hear any rubbing noise. It seems to only happen when I'm sitting on it and coasting at 10 mph.

I appreciate everyone's input!