2021 PCX’s arriving at U.S. Honda dealers!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: 2021 PCX’s arriving at U.S. Honda dealers!

Post by Jge64 »

I personally think you’re making a big mistake. There is absolutely nothing that’s missing right now on a PCX that really matters. I would take it and run…You’re overthinking this.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021

Post by StillThumps »

Like most things, I’ve found that making a car, motorcycle, or scooter choice is mostly a personal and subjective one.
I’ve appreciated what you’ve posted ezrider and wish I lived close enough to offer you a test ride…never know, that may have done it!😉
Good luck on your search, and stay plugged in to the forum. Cheers, ~ST
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

StillThumps wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:16 pm Like most things, I’ve found that making a car, motorcycle, or scooter choice is mostly a personal and subjective one.
I’ve appreciated what you’ve posted ezrider and wish I lived close enough to offer you a test ride…never know, that may have done it!😉
Good luck on your search, and stay plugged in to the forum. Cheers, ~ST
Thanks much, ST; we'll never know. I'll definitely at least read/lurk here because I'm still interested in both the PCX and its ADV150 sibling. Plus, I'll be especially interested in the experiences/reports of early owners. Enjoy your PCX and I'll be reading you and learning as I have already. Cheers!
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Jge64 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:45 am I personally think you’re making a big mistake. There is absolutely nothing that’s missing right now on a PCX that really matters. I would take it and run…You’re overthinking this.
Busted, Glen: there are few things I don't overthink, but I am expert at it and enjoy it. If I come to feel differently, I can always change my mind; but, I weighed the option collaboratively and patiently, so it's not likely. For a likely bit, "my" bike will be there, plus I saw one Saturday on the floor at one dealer, and another one is on the website of another in my area. I'm glad there will be a growing number of US owners' reports to learn from and enjoy. Enjoy your XMAX!
Jwm78
Color: Pearl white

Post by Jwm78 »

My 2021 150A(abs) was delivered to me this past Wednesday courtesy of Honda power sports,Troy,Ohio..they had one non abs left on the floor..It's soooo much fun and it is so fast..3 other dealships in Ohio had them in inventory when I bought this,Troy was closest and the salesman called me when they arrived and put a hold tag on mine because he knew I wasn't bullshitting around,I walked in on wed and there she was..
mrags89

Post by mrags89 »

So I saw this new pcx overview of one in Florida and apparently the guy was able to order one with the keyless entry, which I wasn’t aware of!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Q3NLJwayY
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

mrags89 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:12 pm So I saw this new pcx overview of one in Florida and apparently the guy was able to order one with the keyless entry, which I wasn’t aware of!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Q3NLJwayY
Good find, mrags. This guy tells it different in the video, but he's posted here above (as wmillette) where he told us he ordered the keyless module separately to install. I'd like him to elaborate how the after-market install differs from a factory install -or not, if he knows. The bad shaking is not good, but I couldn't follow that part well at all. I'm sure he could make it clearer here and on a follow-up video. I'd GUESS an ABS malfunction, but what do I know: clearer info would probably help a trained/experienced person understand. Very interesting, nevertheless, AND it's the first US-based new-PCX vid I've seen. Thanks!
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Congrats! Jwm78 on your new PCX. It’s good to see another “Buckeye” in Ohio chime in with positive vibes. There’s also a separate thread for new 2021 PCX owners if you want to share any thoughts, reviews, or ride experiences. I read somewhere that performance may be a bit better with the Traction Control switched OFF. Thought I’d check that out and post on the thread sometime soon.
Anyway, welcome to a great forum from another Buckeye. Cheers, ~ST
erric909

Post by erric909 »

I have had my 2021 for about a month in Atlanta. Absolutely love it! I put a deposit on it back in February and it finally arrived in June. Long wait but worth it.
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Hey, Congratulations on your new PCX! and welcome to the forum. A number of forum members were in the same waiting boat as you…including me! Mine finally arrived in June as well and I’m really impressed with this new scoot so far.
Just FYI, I started a NEW 2021 PCX 160/125 owner’s thread if you care to share your thoughts, opinions, and ride reports, etc. Many people (including me!) are really interested in reading all new owners share their first- hand opinions and reviews of things as miles add up so please feel free to chime in with your experiences.
You can always start your own too. Cheers & Have fun! ~ST
Hafizf86
Color: Pear White

Post by Hafizf86 »

Good evening folks!

I began investigating cheaper forms of transportation to get me from home to work and then work to home. I was sick of spending $30 a week to drive a 4 thousand pound car, 5 miles to work and park it all night for a 12 hour shift, before returning home on another 5 mile drive.

I checked out hybrid and electric vehicles. I checked out smart cars and minibikes. Then I came across the Honda PCX and I was immediately sold. The fact that it was engineered by Honda, and it had been out in the market for at least a decade with 3 major revisions, gave me more confidence in purchasing one for my own transportation needs.

I saved up some money because I had seen online that the MSRP was $3999 for the ABS variant that I was after.

Locating an ABS variant was the most difficult process for me. I called probably no less than 40 motorsports dealers in and around the Houston area in early August 2021. Nobody seemed to have a 2021 PCX ABS in stock. Those that did have a PCX had only the CBS version. Not one dealer said they had an ABS version with keyless ignition. I finally had a dealer call me back, telling me he had located a motorsport dealer out in DFW that had 2 Honda PCX ABS scooters in their inventory.

I called the dealer and the sales guy reassured me they had two, 2021 Honda PCX ABS scooters in stock. When I inquired whether it was the keyless ignition model, he replied in the affirmative. I was beyond joyful, I immediately began the process of purchasing the scooter. This process was an eye opening experience. Turns out the $3999 MSRP is a gimmick to get you attracted. The dealer then adds on tons of fees and taxes and titles.... and after drinking your blood, drains you of $5523.

I purchased my scooter on 8/17/21 and soon realized that I would have to pay additional shipping and transportation charges to get the motorbike delivered to my home, more than 300 miles away! The shipper would charge me close to $500 and I would receive it in several weeks.... you read that right, weeks!

That same night I booked a 5 hour bus ticket to get myself to Dallas. I took an Uber at 6am to get to the bus stop and then boarded the bus and reached Dallas by noon. I then took another Uber from the bus stop in Dallas to the DFW Honda dealership. On 8/18/21, without having seen the item I was purchasing (going solely on the guarantee and reassurances of the salesman), I was the proud owner of a 2021 Honda PCX ABS.

The salesman informed me the scooter was being prepped in the back shop area and that it would be ready for me at the door when I was done with my financial paperwork. An hour later, at approximately 2:00pm I walked towards the front door of the dealership and laid eyes on my prize.

I immediately noticed there was a key in the ignition and there were no hazard lights. I noticed there was no engine idle control switch. I noticed there was only a single hydraulic brake and not dual hydraulic brakes. I was beyond upset and made the comment to the salesman that you told me over the phone this was the keyless model for 2021. He seemed surprised that I was asking about a keyless model, when all along I had been asking him and even had the text messages saved, where I'm asking him to verify if this is the keyless model.

After my disappointment, I told myself it was too late to back out of this now... I had already been charged and the paperwork had already been signed and I was more than 300 miles from home, having wasted the day traveling to get to the dealership. I hopped on that bad boy and rode that scooter 340 miles, through 3 thunderstorms, on county roads to arrive home 7.5 hours later. I left Dallas with an avg mpg of 92, and arrived in Houston with an avg mpg of 60. I weigh 200 pounds and this scooter was struggling to get me past 65mph on freeways.

I Love the PCX, but I'm disappointed that Honda sells their crappiest variants in the US at almost double the price. In Asia and Europe you can get the same scooter for almost half the price with all the added bells and whistles, hazards, dual hydraulic brakes, engine idle switch, and keyless ignition.

I'm extremely disappointed in the DFW Honda powersports dealership, especially the salesman who padded his wallet by selling me something he falsely advertised.

Any way, the commute to work has brought me some peace of mind. The most exciting 10 minutes of my day are the trips from home to work and work to home. I spend approximately $5 in gas every 2 weeks, and I'm happy to report my gas mileage has come back to about 90mpg.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

I wouldn’t be too upset, it would be nice to have a rear disc but due to the weight of the bike, and the limited 65 to 70 mile an hour top end, the rear brake works just fine and will for years.. You’re not missing anything with idle stop not being supplied, it drains batteries and is hard on the starter. It is by no means technology perfected… You can just read several of the car mags to figure that out. And I believe you have a key just because the chip shortage has caused Honda to go back to a key. Enjoy the ride and don’t give any thought to what you’re missing.
Glen
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Great - would much rather have a key than keyless - lots of Forza owners on FB have recently commented they do not like the keyless at all.
Kmurray7

Post by Kmurray7 »

has anyone seen a new PCX at any dealership in the Northeast US yet? The dealers I've been contacting all have no idea when they'll be getting any, or at least that's what they say...
hcx
Color: white

Post by hcx »

mrags89 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:30 pm My dealer just sent this ins today, Richmond Virginia.
Hi mrags89. I am also in Richmond, VA. I am looking to buy PCX. My concern is the maintenance since I have zero experience doing it myself. Do you know of any mechanics around the town? If you are doing maintenance yourself, can I get some help if possible?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

There’s no maintenance to be done on a PCX. I rode mine for five years and didn’t do anything except change the oil, which is literally unscrewing a bolt, letting the oil drain , replacing the bolt and pouring in more. You are concerned about nothing.

And there are several Honda dealers right around Richmond if you need or have somebody else do it.
Glen
Hafizf86
Color: Pear White

Post by Hafizf86 »

Jge64 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:28 am There’s no maintenance to be done on a PCX. I rode mine for five years and didn’t do anything except change the oil, which is literally unscrewing a bolt, letting the oil drain , replacing the bolt and pouring in more. You are concerned about nothing.

And there are several Honda dealers right around Richmond if you need or have somebody else do it.
So how many miles did you rack up with only changing the oil?

I'm curious about the valve maintenance that everyone dreads. Also what about the belt replacement? How often does that need to be done? Is it safe to upgrade the pulley system to Dr. Pulley, and does doing that negatively affect the belt life?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

I did 4K miles a year only changing the oil. Had a cycle shop replace the belt at 12k and the rear tire at about 7000. Download the owners manual , it’s online somewhere, never checked the valves…Used doctor pulley and it didn’t affect the bike whatsoever in terms of wear.

I’m not recommending you do what I did, many people will do far more, but I didn’t and it was fine.

But Why the paranoia if you have Honda shops somewhere close to you in Richmond? Just have them do the service, per the manual. Richmond Honda House looks like a well established dealer….
Glen
hcx
Color: white

Post by hcx »

Jge64 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:19 am I did 4K miles a year only changing the oil. Had a cycle shop replace the belt at 12k and the rear tire at about 7000. Download the owners manual , it’s online somewhere, never checked the valves…Used doctor pulley and it didn’t affect the bike whatsoever in terms of wear.

I’m not recommending you do what I did, many people will do far more, but I didn’t and it was fine.

But Why the paranoia if you have Honda shops somewhere close to you in Richmond? Just have them do the service, per the manual. Richmond Honda House looks like a well established dealer….
i would love to have a dealer service my motorcycle. But, I think the labor cost for an oil change, etc... is too much and unreasonable compared to a car in general.