High Coolant Temp. On! Whitish smoke on the muffler! Check Engine light is on!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

nelson
Year: PCX 160 ABS
Color: White

High Coolant Temp. On! Whitish smoke on the muffler! Check Engine light is on!

Post by nelson »

So to start up, just bought the unit a couple of weeks ago, brand new. When i got home, I parked it for a while then when I start it again I’m seeing whitish smoke coming out in the exhaust, I rev up the throttle still smoke is coming out, when i ride it There a High Coolant temp. Light comes on in the dash board so i stop and parked it back again in the house, the next morning I opened the radiator cap and its empty, no coolant inside the radiator but there are some in the reservoir. So I managed to fill it up and filling the whole radiator ( not knowing the proper way to bleed out the air) I ride it again and notice the Overheat light on again on the dashboard and the reservoir is filled with coolant , so i guess I did not do it the right way thats why its still overheating. Its in the dealer service center now and they are troubleshooting it hope they can manage to ressolve the issue.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Re: High Coolant Temp. On! Whitish smoke on the muffler! Check Engine light is on!

Post by springer1 »

I'd suspect a blown head gasket. Don't ride it. Call the dealer and describe the symptoms as you did in you post. They need to pick it up & replace, I'd demand a new scoot.
pcx888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: pearl white

Re: High Coolant Temp. On! Whitish smoke on the muffler! Check Engine light is on!

Post by pcx888 »

Did you check the oil level. IF blown head gasket oil should look like chocolate milk color.
2011 White PCX
Michelin Tire City Grip Front and Rear
Aftermarket Thai Seat.
JDM Front lights and Rear Lights and Fender.
NCY Variator, And Face and 13 Dr. pulley sliders.
Rear NCY 1000 contra spring.
NCY Textured clutch bell.
nelson
Year: PCX 160 ABS
Color: White

Post by nelson »

Yes I check the engine oil.. its normal, and i can tell that its not the head gasket because I ran a test I start the engine while the cap is off and no bubbles apeeared so its. Not the head gasket.. So where you think the rest of the coolant went?. The reservoir is still the same in volume.
airhead83
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by airhead83 »

If the bike is loosing coolant... it's either leaking out or going somewhere inside the engine. Your check for bubbles from a blown gasket in the radiator is a good option, but not always fool-proof. If the head gasket's not leaking, it could be a bad water pump seal or something else...
But the lose of coolant and white exhaust smoke sure sounds like coolant is entering the engine's combustion chamber to me..
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Post by Yorkie150 »

contact the dealer - don't mess with it.....WARRANTY
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Any update on the dealer's info regarding the cause since they took it in on Friday ?
pcx888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: pearl white

Post by pcx888 »

keep us updated I wanna know what's up.
2011 White PCX
Michelin Tire City Grip Front and Rear
Aftermarket Thai Seat.
JDM Front lights and Rear Lights and Fender.
NCY Variator, And Face and 13 Dr. pulley sliders.
Rear NCY 1000 contra spring.
NCY Textured clutch bell.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Nelson - A reply regarding what the trouble turned out to be would be helpful for the forum members.
jims
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: red

Post by jims »

I had a simular problem back in 2004. The water jacket in the head had a hole leading to the intake valve. I replaced the head using all the old parts (valves). Bike still runs great. I also now have a 2019 PCX 150.
jims
jims
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: red

Post by jims »

Sorry, It was 2014.
jims