Clutch pad glazing

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Clutch pad glazing

Post by easyrider »

Jittery take offs are common due to clutch pad glazing. Simple cure however involves a bit of dismantling to get the clutch bell off and a quick sanding.Looking for good options like different pads , bell, or clutch assembly. Honda design is not good at minimizing this problem other than to mechanically fix with sandpaper. Any ideas other than riding habits and jack rabbit rake offs. Does Malossi or other brand have any better clutch pads?? Does cutting groves in the pads or bell work well ??
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Clutch pad glazing

Post by iceman »

For the PCX, pads from another Honda bike (lighter pads) worked like a charm to solve this issue, so that may work for you.
I ordered them but so far not fitted them - been 1-2 years now as the original pads still seem ok with occasional glazing.

I do not have the thread link to hand, but the feedback was:
'At least for now.. Thanks to BPT7594 forum member I ordered the recommended clutch pads (22535-KVB-900) per his advice to resolve the clutch chatter .I installed them today and from the very start I noticed a much more satin- like smooth takeoff. The acceleration was silky smooth and the deceleration also improved greatly from what I was using (stock Honda pads). If anyone is interested in the install procedure go the the attached link below. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Very happy with these pads for the moment at least and appreciate the help from BPT7594.'
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300

Post by Austins »

There is another thread last year with good info, I added to that...

Generally I think the problem is with excessive heat, either riding a lot in traffic or high speed in a hot country (like where I am 30-35c mostly), like 100-120kph for a couple of hours ...

Sandpaper solution only worked for a couple of weeks for me, OEM shoe pads basically melted away after just 7k or 8k on mine, bell turned blue and purple all over...

Fast take off didn't do anything for me (I do that all the time anyway...!) , but you can hold the rear brake and give it a few seconds of good throttle, soon you can smell it.... lol. That cures the stutter for a couple of days....! Will come back again...

Finally I went with Carbon shoes and grooved bell, the bell also has some holes to cool it off. It's cheap here in Thailand..., The other day after 16k km they opened CVT to change the belt at 24k km service, I had a good look, the shoe was almost new, but the grooves inside the bell almost gone, my clutch now has started some stutter, so I probably buy new bell, maybe even shoes, together like 70 - 75 USD here , well worth it...

(Forza 350 has 5 shoes instead of 3, so Honda tried to improve this, no idea if it worked....!!!).
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Where can you get a grooved bell to fit 2014 Forza 300? thx
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300

Post by Austins »

Here in Thailand there are many offered on Lazada.co.th or Shopee.co.th and they charge like 30 or 60 baht (1 or 2 USD) to deliver. No idea if they ship abroad and for how much. These are what I bought:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/forza ... 46135.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/forza ... 38106.html

Can use Google translation..., I think some guys manage to get parts from here ship to them...
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Thats the right clutch.. corrects the problem Only other problem is no way to get it to USA..At least the website doesn't show shipping to USA
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Somebody wrote this elsewhere:
When you take off from a standing start, give it some juice. Do not crawl forward and increase speed slowly. This causes the glaze everyone is having to deal with.
Works on both my PCX and Forza.

This is true. Give it a good "Italian Tune-up" before any mechanical work.
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by 150pcxer »

Austins wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:45 am There is another thread last year with good info, I added to that...

Generally I think the problem is with excessive heat, either riding a lot in traffic or high speed in a hot country (like where I am 30-35c mostly), like 100-120kph for a couple of hours ...

Sandpaper solution only worked for a couple of weeks for me, OEM shoe pads basically melted away after just 7k or 8k on mine, bell turned blue and purple all over...

Fast take off didn't do anything for me (I do that all the time anyway...!) , but you can hold the rear brake and give it a few seconds of good throttle, soon you can smell it.... lol. That cures the stutter for a couple of days....! Will come back again...

Finally I went with Carbon shoes and grooved bell, the bell also has some holes to cool it off. It's cheap here in Thailand..., The other day after 16k km they opened CVT to change the belt at 24k km service, I had a good look, the shoe was almost new, but the grooves inside the bell almost gone, my clutch now has started some stutter, so I probably buy new bell, maybe even shoes, together like 70 - 75 USD here , well worth it...

(Forza 350 has 5 shoes instead of 3, so Honda tried to improve this, no idea if it worked....!!!).
Hi,

Is there an online retail site where I can buy the carbon clutch shoes/pads for pcx?

Thanks