BlownPiston?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

MOA1575
Year: 2015
Color: White

BlownPiston?

Post by MOA1575 »

Hi All,

I went to my local mechanic for a simple oil change, he changed the oil said everything was done I paid him and got on my way. After about a 3 minutes riding I smelt metal burning so I turned around to see oil sputtering all over the exhaust and the cover for the oil was not there. I went back he changed the oil again sprayed the exhaust wiped it down and placed a new cover for the oil. I set off again but after about a minute I smelt burning again and there was white smoke coming from what looked like the top of the exhaust near the footrest not a lot but noticeable.

I went back again and he said it was just the exhaust it will clear after a few minutes. I went home and left the bike for a few hours. I got back on later in the evening and rode around for a short while and there was smoke again.

I am worried that something has happened to the pistons or cylinders and don´t feel comfortable riding.
I use my bike for a living and would be grateful for any advice. Is the short time spent riding with the cap open with no oil enough to damage the engine? And what is the smoke an indication of ?

Thank you in advance
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Re: BlownPiston?

Post by glencoeman »

Just keep checking the oil level for a while - remember that the dip stock should be unscrewed when you check it.
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: White

Re: BlownPiston?

Post by Austins »

I really doubt you can do too much damage riding the bike for a short time with oil cap off, as previous poster mentioned, check the oil level and keep riding for a while more..., if engine was really damaged you would notice it, it won't be smooth, low power, and strange noises and vibration........ !

Also check the floor under the bike after it's parked for a few hours, sign of leak of anything would be bad news...