new tires

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

new tires

Post by big bear »

bought new tires for the pcx had a really hard time finding a place that had them in stock. I bought conti scoots from bike bandit tried to get city grips but there out of stock.Should perform better than the stock ones ive got 2500 miles on the orginal tires there still ok but when i took it in to get inspected i was told they were strarting to wear
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: new tires

Post by mymitzi »

I got 6,319 mi on the original rear [IRC] Got 8841 mi with City Grip [rear].
Could be you ride rougher roads??
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Changed the original rear IRC at 13,500 miles and the front IRC at 18,000+ - 6+ years riding all year round on Londons pot-holed and nasty roads. Road speed 30-40 max when not in built up areas and lots of engine breaking.

Now got MCG's on front and rear, can't say I notice much difference as had no issues with the stock tyres.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Amazing! You guys have velvet roads over there? :o One thing about the IRC tire,the carcass was really thick.....much thicker than the City Grip.
Stuck a push pin through the middle of the worn tire and barely made it through to the inside. Much further through the city grip. Love to know
your secret, over there. Thought it might have been wet roads/cooler climate [ less heat buildup ] but ?? Would be interesting to hear from other members, here and across the Pond. [tire mileage] Especially the rear tire.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

i do ride rough roads plus the tires are 5 years old your not supposed to ride on really old tires
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

That's true.
AC_ING
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by AC_ING »

Hi, I am from Panama and I cant find de 90/90 tire size supposed for the front wheel.

So, I am considering buying an 100/90 same as the rear wheel.

Any advise ?
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

That size should work OK. Best that it is a tire designated for front use. If you are stuck with the rear tire and using it on the front,my
understanding is that it;s supposed to be reversed. [arrow for rotation going backwards] when mounted on front. I haven't personally
done this with the PCX but others on this forum have.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Mitchelin City Grip 2 now fits both front and back (on the PCX anyway) - there is no front or back individual MCG2 for these bikes anymore. The orginal MCG comes in two flavours.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

got the tires mounted on thursday charged me 71 dollars to mount them
airhead83
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by airhead83 »

big bear wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:40 pm got the tires mounted on thursday charged me 71 dollars to mount them
Mounting tires vary so much depending on location... Was that cost for just mounting 2 tires, or both wheels removed, tires changed, and re-installing wheels?
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

he took them off the machine took the old tires off and mounted and installed the new tires
airhead83
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by airhead83 »

big bear wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:25 pm he took them off the machine took the old tires off and mounted and installed the new tires
Thanks, my question was did you ride the bike to his shop, and he remove the wheel assemblies from the bike and re-install them after changing the tires? Or, did you carry the front and rear wheels/tires to his shop?
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

i rode the bike there with the old tires still mounted my son followed me in a car and rode me home the new tires were in the car
airhead83
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by airhead83 »

big bear wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:19 am i rode the bike there with the old tires still mounted my son followed me in a car and rode me home the new tires were in the car
Sorry for the on-and-on banter, but what you paid is unusually low price for my area. I've been quoted $50 per wheel just to dismount and mount a tire... that's bringing the wheel/tire into the shop... all removal and reinstalling wheels from the bike is on me.... the tire tech literally never even see my bike. Thanks again for clarifying that.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

the guy works out of his barn hes a semi retired motorcycle mechanic if you pay cash you get a discount im guessing the IRS cant trace cash deals as easy so it keeps his above board income down at tax time