How-To: Oil Change For Honda PCX

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: How-To: Oil Change For Honda PCX

Post by you you »

masator wrote:Does anyone know how effective is the strainer comparing to proper oil filter? I'm surprised PCX is not using paper filter.

No reason to assume it isn’t effective.

Reusable too.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

As the strainer mostly seems to catch a few loose shards of metal from new, then seems to be clean when checked afterwards, little point in having anything else. Just clean the surrounds of the filler cap and strainer bolt before removing so as to not get bits of crap inside the engine.
Scotty1981
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Re: How to: Oil Change for Honda PCX

Post by Scotty1981 »

skuuter wrote:Just a "Note".....(Most) Honda Scooters are notorious for dragging the Crank/Rod in Oil if You overfill Them at all....slightly below the full mark on the dipstick is usually better than any at all above it. I haven't played with the PCX enough to see if this applies for sure, but has pretty much been the "norm" for the Others I've owned..... ;)

How bad is this? I may have done this today. Overfilled a bit. Used the whole quart so maybe 100ml over.
Scotty1981
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Scotty1981 »

GeorgeSK wrote:My small contribution is to stick a piece of aluminum tape to the face just behind the drain bolt. This did a great job of keeping the oil going where I wanted it.
image.jpeg
I still made some mess, but not horrible. I did not clean the screen filter.

The weird thing was that I added around 700 ml of oil, then checked the dipstick, and seemed very full (oil all the way up the stick!). I measured the dirty oil and got a ballpark 750 ml (plus the mess, so maybe 780ish). I measured with the scoot on the center stand. I also ran out of daylight, and so will further investigate tomorrow morning.

So - proper measuring technique is scoot reasonably flat fore and aft, on side stand, dipstick just placed into hole, and oil only on the crosshatch part of the end. Do I have anything wrong?

I just asked my wife to hold the scoot up and did it with the center stand up. Made it loads easier.
oldgoat
Year: 2015
Color: Burgundy

Post by oldgoat »

Just read all 12 pages.

Still confused as to whether or not we can use "energy conserving" oil in our clutchless engines. I know the manual says not to. I have a 2015 PCX 150..
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Some mfgrs use the term "energy conserving" to refer to synthetic oil, others use it in reference to their thinner oil weight such as 5-20, others to refer to an additive they use. If you use a quality synthetic 10-30 motor oil like the manual says you'll be fine. If no 10-30 is available, then 10-40 will do.
oldgoat
Year: 2015
Color: Burgundy

Post by oldgoat »

So, if I use a "quality synthetic 10-30 motor oil" and it does have 'energy conserving' written the circle it should be just fine.
The choice of those is is large but not so without it in the circle.

Cheers
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

On second thought, it's probably best if you contact Honda directly on this highly technical topic.