Is this too much engine oil?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Re: Is this too much engine oil?

Post by MikeP »

150pcxer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:44 am Very strange.

So I went to the workshop to get the old oil drained out and put in new fresh engine oil. I told the mechanic to put in 800 mls, which he did.

After which, I went for a ride for about 20 kms then stopped for a break. After waiting for about 10 minutes, I took out the dipstick to check.

It still shows the oil level way above the maximum level.

I don't know what's wrong.

Any ideas?

Yes, like mine your dipstick lies......

My story is this.... scoot is starting to use a bit of oil, so I diligently made sure my oil is at the top of the hash mark on the dip stick as per the manual. Checked it every fill up, thats my routine. I make sure the bike is on level ground. Changed the oil some time ago, and it did not feel like enough drained out. So I measured it and got about 600ml. At this point I felt like I entered the “Twilight Zone” !!!!.
I had pulled the filter screen, drain bolt, and rocked the bike. That was it 600ml.
So I re checked my manual specs, and put it back together with 800ml of oil. Ran for a few minutes, let it sit for 10 minutes and checked the oil. It reads high on my dip stick as in your photo postered previously. The dipstick was not screwed in to be clear.
I do not know how many 1000’s of Km I may have ridden with low oil, but at 77,000km it has not given me any touble.

My suggestion is this, fill it up with the 800ml of oil, ensure you are on level ground. Check it and make a note of where the level reads on the dipstick and use that as your “Full” mark on the dipstick.

It is really easy to over think these things and look for “gremilins” where there are none. I am very good at that.
I hope this helps.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by 150pcxer »

MikeP wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:10 am
150pcxer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:44 am Very strange.

So I went to the workshop to get the old oil drained out and put in new fresh engine oil. I told the mechanic to put in 800 mls, which he did.

After which, I went for a ride for about 20 kms then stopped for a break. After waiting for about 10 minutes, I took out the dipstick to check.

It still shows the oil level way above the maximum level.

I don't know what's wrong.

Any ideas?

Yes, like mine your dipstick lies......

My story is this.... scoot is starting to use a bit of oil, so I diligently made sure my oil is at the top of the hash mark on the dip stick as per the manual. Checked it every fill up, thats my routine. I make sure the bike is on level ground. Changed the oil some time ago, and it did not feel like enough drained out. So I measured it and got about 600ml. At this point I felt like I entered the “Twilight Zone” !!!!.
I had pulled the filter screen, drain bolt, and rocked the bike. That was it 600ml.
So I re checked my manual specs, and put it back together with 800ml of oil. Ran for a few minutes, let it sit for 10 minutes and checked the oil. It reads high on my dip stick as in your photo postered previously. The dipstick was not screwed in to be clear.
I do not know how many 1000’s of Km I may have ridden with low oil, but at 77,000km it has not given me any touble.

My suggestion is this, fill it up with the 800ml of oil, ensure you are on level ground. Check it and make a note of where the level reads on the dipstick and use that as your “Full” mark on the dipstick.

It is really easy to over think these things and look for “gremilins” where there are none. I am very good at that.
I hope this helps.
yeah but just now I brought the dipstick close to my nose to smell it and it smelled of petrol.

Perhaps I should buy a new fuel injector?
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by MikeP »

I can’t say much about a sniff test. But if the bike is starting and running fine, I would not worry about it.

If fuel were getting into the oil, then logic tells me the bike would be starting and running poorly.

Thats what happened when the an injector went bad in my gravel truck.
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

MikeP wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:09 pm I can’t say much about a sniff test. But if the bike is starting and running fine, I would not worry about it.

If fuel were getting into the oil, then logic tells me the bike would be starting and running poorly.

Thats what happened when the an injector went bad in my gravel truck.
google tells me if fuel gets into the oil, the viscosity of the oil becomes thinner, hence affecting engine lubrication.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by MikeP »

Mankind created Google hence we are smarter.

If it starts and runs fine, I personally would not stress about it. Thats just what I would do.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

. It doesn’t take much gas at all to lower the viscosity of the oil, especially since the amount of oil in the scooter is small. A leaky injector can cause bearings to go bad, get the injector checked as soon as possible. All you need to do is pull it out of the bike, put it on the bench for a test. Another way to check is to send an oil sample to Blackstone for a review of the oil. However it’s pretty easy to see in a Sample if you mix it with gas, as viscosity goes down quickly.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by MikeP »

One other approach to take could be:
Drain the oil, re fill with 800ml
do not start the engine, let it sit for a while, perhaps an hour or more to ensure all the oil has drained to the bottom of the engine after re filling.
Check the oil level, if it reads high like before, you then know the dipstick lies.
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

Jge64 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:57 pm . It doesn’t take much gas at all to lower the viscosity of the oil, especially since the amount of oil in the scooter is small. A leaky injector can cause bearings to go bad, get the injector checked as soon as possible. All you need to do is pull it out of the bike, put it on the bench for a test. Another way to check is to send an oil sample to Blackstone for a review of the oil. However it’s pretty easy to see in a Sample if you mix it with gas, as viscosity goes down quickly.
I've previously done fuel injector cleaning at the workshop but guess it didn't help much or rectify this problem. Since my bike is 7 yrs old, I shall buy a new injector.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

And injector leaking is only one thing that can make oil. There are others. One of the other ones is the bike runs too cold, therefore the computer thinks the engine is warming up and adds the choke on. Incomplete combustion causes blow by the piston rings and into the oil.
Glen
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

Jge64 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:47 pm And injector leaking is only one thing that can make oil. There are others. One of the other ones is the bike runs too cold, therefore the computer thinks the engine is warming up and adds the choke on. Incomplete combustion causes blow by the piston rings and into the oil.
in this scenario, how would it be solved?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Check temp, replace thermostat-check for ecu faults

If you are absolutely sure that you are putting in the right amount of oil after completely emptying the machine with a good drain, and the level is still going up, I would test the oil with Blackstone and find out exactly what is being added to the oil, it’s either coolant or fuel. And go from there
Glen
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

Jge64 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:58 am Check temp, replace thermostat-check for ecu faults

If you are absolutely sure that you are putting in the right amount of oil after completely emptying the machine with a good drain, and the level is still going up, I would test the oil with Blackstone and find out exactly what is being added to the oil, it’s either coolant or fuel. And go from there
The thermostat you're talking about, is it #4 in the diagram?

or is it something else?

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda- ... 09/1/15470
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

150pcxer wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:51 am
Jge64 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:22 am Smell the oil, does it smell like gas?
Yes I was just about to tell you about it.

I smelled the oil on the dipstick. It did indeed smell like petrol. Maybe we're on to something.

Perhaps I should follow your advice and order a new fuel injector.
Does the oil seem thinned out like there's fuel in it or is it the same viscosity as 'normal' oil ? A multi cylinder engine can possibly run (poorly) if one of the cylinder's injector is malfunctioning, but I don't know how a single cylinder engine could. JMO
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

springer1 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:35 pm
150pcxer wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:51 am
Jge64 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:22 am Smell the oil, does it smell like gas?
Yes I was just about to tell you about it.

I smelled the oil on the dipstick. It did indeed smell like petrol. Maybe we're on to something.

Perhaps I should follow your advice and order a new fuel injector.
Does the oil seem thinned out like there's fuel in it or is it the same viscosity as 'normal' oil ? A multi cylinder engine can possibly run (poorly) if one of the cylinder's injector is malfunctioning, but I don't know how a single cylinder engine could. JMO
Took this pic while I was draining some of it out. I'm not sure if it looks like how engine oil should.

What do you guys think?

150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

Jge64 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:47 pm And injector leaking is only one thing that can make oil. There are others. One of the other ones is the bike runs too cold, therefore the computer thinks the engine is warming up and adds the choke on. Incomplete combustion causes blow by the piston rings and into the oil.
I've just replaced the fuel injector with a new one and changed the engine oil. Will monitor it these few days.
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

So I went to the workshop to change engine oil.

The mechanic drained out the old oil and I then put the dipstick in, pulled it out and yes, it showed that the oil level was empty. The mechanic then put in exactly 800ml of new engine oil. Again, I put the dipstick in, pulled it out and the level was high again. As high as what is seen in this pic.

The engine was not even started.

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Seems to me you have two choices: completely tear down the bike, break open the cases and look to see if there’s anything that is causing the abnormal level. Or just ignore it. If you have absolutely the proper amount of oil in the crankcase and there are no leaks on the ground, I would ignore it.
Glen
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Have had similar issues with my PCX . Your last post [ 150 PCXER] proves the readings are bogus. Wish Honda would go to the " oil window"
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Sounds like someone has trouble reading the oil level. The dipstick may be getting some oil on in from contact with the walls. Only the hashed section is what needs to be read. Hard to explain to an inexperienced person. They got to be able to tell the difference on the dipstick between smears and true oil level.
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

Inoplanetyanin wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:51 am Sounds like someone has trouble reading the oil level. The dipstick may be getting some oil on in from contact with the walls. Only the hashed section is what needs to be read. Hard to explain to an inexperienced person. They got to be able to tell the difference on the dipstick between smears and true oil level.
I've been regularly reading the dipstick since February 2021 until now. It has always been this high. Even when I've taken pains to slowly put it in and pull it out, making concerted efforts without touching the sides.