"Grinding" noise coming from variator/clutch?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

PiTRiS
Year: 2019
Color: Red

"Grinding" noise coming from variator/clutch?

Post by PiTRiS »

Hey guys,

could not find a better place to ask, hopefully someone can help :) I got 2019 PCX 125 (previous generation) second hand with only ~500km. Right now, it has almost 1000km driven, so basically new...
Anyways, I started hearing weird noise coming somewhere from variator / clutch area. It's like a rustle, etc. I heard that bearings might be at fault? But anyways, first want to confirm, that there really is something before taking it to a service, cause maybe I'm just imagining things and it's normal... I'm not really a technical person when it comes to bikes :)
Videos are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/S4Mvh9YBHztspGSG6
There are videos how it sounds when engine is running idle, how it sounds when I just rotate wheel and when adding throttle (when spinning down, I can hear a bit of whistling as well...
That rustling noise is not that bad in person actually, phone seems to be making it stronger.

Thank you very much for your opinion and help :)
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Re: "Grinding" noise coming from variator/clutch?

Post by Ganglylamb »

The sound you hear when you spin the wheel with the engine off is basically the final gear or drive or however you like to call it - and it sounds fine to me; you could always drain the oil from the final drive gear, replace it and inspect the oil that comes out. More importantly, did the bike had its first maintenance? Even with an 'almost' new bike its good to know the history and if you do not have that treat it as if its actually new and just do the first maintenance anyhow. If I recall correct my service manual stated a first maintenance after 1000 km.
PiTRiS

Post by PiTRiS »

Ok, glad to hear that, thought it should be silent... but as I said, noob :)
Anyways first time I'm hearing about oil in the final gear, so might as well change that, I see it's fairly simple to do according to this - viewtopic.php?t=3224 - seems like it uses same 10W-30 as is in the engine... is that right?
As for first maintenance - I wanted to do the check when I bought it, as it had a week of warranty still left, but unfortunately, all slots in service center were full for a few weeks. Anyways service guy told me, that it's really unnecessary as they had about 1 faulty PCX out of 500 sold during last few years... So just to change oil and leave it for later. I went to dealer few weeks after that and asked technician for a check, which he agree to and from quick visual inspection and listening to motor said it's in perfect condition, like new... That was at about ~650km.
But the sounds I started noticing at around 800... and to be honest, I'm not sure if I'm imagining things or if it was there from beginning... or something is really failing.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If the clutch bearing were going bad you would hear a grinding noise, and it would get worse as time went by. What you are hearing right now is nothing like the grinding you would hear then. You would KNOW that something is wrong, not wonder. Also, very few of the PCX'S after 2016 had that problem. I think they had a bad supplier and canned them after the problem continued appearing beyond 2015.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PiTRiS

Post by PiTRiS »

I have changed oil in the final drive, it had small metal particles in it (like dust), which from what i heard is normal for first change. Anyways, noise remains the same - I have added new video to shared album.
There is also a bit of whistle when wheel spins down, but only a little bit.

So I take it that it should be OK and I'm just being paranoid :))