installing tire valve stem from OUTSIDE THE WHEEL > Liberty

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

installing tire valve stem from OUTSIDE THE WHEEL > Liberty

Post by fish »

COLBY (and a few others) make a tire air valve which can be installed from outside the wheel - and without breaking the tire bead.
My dealer tire tech messed up when installing my new Pirelli Angels by tearing the new valve stem (causing a slow leak) and by scratching the paint on my wheel.

Did some searching - and found I do not have to spend a few fun hours in a hot garage removing this wheel again, or break the bead and push a new valve stem in the very limited space of this thin tire on the small scooter. Amazon had a pair of these new brass valve stems to me in 48 hrs.

Installed DynaBeads in the tire before starting.
Cleaned the hole in the rim with Q-tips and alcohol.

Make certain the Colby valve stem is pushed all the way home - fully against the rim!

Tighten with 7/16th wrench while applying pressure to keep the black base of the stem firmly against the rim!
STOP tightening as soon as the whole valve begins to turn in the hole. Do not over-tighten. That will only crush and deform the sealing rubber parts!

Air it up ....and fingers crossed! (thumbs pressed)

I'll be checking the PSI tonight, and for the next few days.
If I didn't get it right- I've one more to try.
If it works, I'm Golden.
If it doesn't, "merde!"

Fish

PS: I find long air valve stems a pain when checking or airing up - so I purchased the "short" Colby stems.