PCX150 Taller Windscreen

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

QuiGonJohn
Year: 2015
Color: Black

PCX150 Taller Windscreen

Post by QuiGonJohn »

I have a 2015 PCX150 that I want to add a taller windscreen to. I am considering the National Cycle Extra Tall vs. the Givi D1130ST (their tall one). Looking for opinions to decide.

What I can't reconcile is the National says 16.5 H, but the Givi says 32.1 H. Probably where they are measuring from. One person said they had to change something about their rear view mirrors with the Givi, but nobody else reported this.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/n20052.html

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/giv ... -2014-2018

All replies will be appreciated.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: PCX150 Taller Windscreen

Post by Mel46 »

I don't have the tall one for that particular year, since my bikes are both 2013 models, but I do have a Givi tall windscreen on each. What that individual was probably talking about on the rear view mirrors was the fact that if you turn the handlebar fully to either side it will contact the mirrors... at least, it did on my particular year-model.

Not something to worry about though. If it becomes a problem you can purchase a mirror extender kit that brings the mirrors out another couple of inches, or supposedly the mirrors from the Honda 500 will fit as replacement mirrors. (Others know more about which particular model of 500. I just went ahead and purchased the extender kit.)

I think this particular kit will fit, but I don't know for sure since I bought the one produced by Givi. As you can see from the picture of them, they just move the mirror connection points out a little bit, which allows the handlebar to move to its maximum turn without contacting anything. Simple to install too.
https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/bike-ma ... extensions
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

I have the National Cycle on my 2015. It came with mirror extensions for a wider spacing. For me I prefer it over my Givi screen on my 2013 pcx. It is more streamlined and has a cleaner look.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
CTPCX
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: red

Post by CTPCX »

I have the National Mid sized windshield. As noted it came with extenders for the mirrors and I feel they are more efficient with them. can see better.
2015 Ruckus
2016 PCX
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

I wound up getting the National Tall Size for my PCX150 and am pretty happy with it. Wasn't too hard to install. Really reduces the wind right in front of my face and chest.
ricklaugh

Post by ricklaugh »

I just ordered the National Cycle tall windshield for my 2013: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nat ... cx150-2013

I spoke to customer service at Revzilla and he said that I did not need mirror extenders. But, based on your comments above, it sounds like it ships with extenders. Let's see what happens.

After I installed new tires last week, I rode around town a bit. Then I traveled on the interstate at 60 mph for about twenty minutes. The scoot performed well, but the wind resistance was strong. I leaned forward and down in racing position and gained about 4 mph. :lol: :lol: :lol: I think the tall windshield will be a great addition.

Having recently purchased this PCX used, that was my first ride at highway speed. I was very impressed with it at 60 mph.

Thanks for your comments!
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

Rick, it depends on the year. At first I had the wrong one in my cart, but I had some emails with someone at National Cycle. He said for mine, the 2015 PCX150, it came with and did need the mirror extenders. They were simple to do. W/O them, the mirrors will hit the screen at full turn, like when you have it parked.
kjmillig
Color: Red

Post by kjmillig »

I have a NC Touring Tall on my 2013. I had to bring the mirrors back just a bit to be able to lock the steering. I really like the windshield. When I'm riding mace is just above it.
ricklaugh

Post by ricklaugh »

Ok, the verdict is in.

I installed the National Cycle tall screen for my 2013 PCX 150. The mirrors do, in fact, hit the screen. And the screen did not ship with mirror extenders.

I can adjust the mirrors to where they do not hit the screen, but then do not get the desired view.

Any recommendations on mirror extenders?

Actually, Mel recommended some above: https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/bike-ma ... extensions

Of course, like a kid on Christmas morning, and it being a beautiful day, I had to try it out. Wow, I was amazed at the improvement. I merged onto the highway and zipped up to 70 mph (slightly downhill) until the rev limiter kicked in. Keep in mind that I also have a 47 liter top case behind me, probably increasing drag. Overall, pretty stable and much less wind buffeting on my helmet. Settled in nicely at 60 mph.

The screen is a little thinner than I was expecting, but it's sturdy enough and performed well. Thumbs up!
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

ricklaugh, can you check with who you bought it from? If direct from National Cycle, they might supply you the extender kit.
MacDaddy
Year: 2018
Color: White

Post by MacDaddy »

I know it's past time now, but I'll throw in my 2 cents for future considerations. I bought my used 2018 in the summer of 2018 from a guy with medical problems who was making this his last chance to keep riding. Obviously that didn't work out for him unfortunately.

Anyhow, he already had the NC tall touring screen on it. I didn't care for the way it looked in the pictures and figured I'd likely get a Givi mid size after I bought it. It didn't look any better in person to my eye, kind of out of proportion to the rest of the bike. Well darn if that windshield didn't work great and I've never taken it off. Function trumps form in my book usually and this time was no different. I can ride with the faceshield up anytime I want and it keeps the wind off my torso and just on my arms. Is it better than the Givi? I have no idea but I've seen many reviews of Givi's flexing do to a minimum amount of material. I'd say that the NC seems nearly rock solid and I believe is thicker.
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

MacDaddy, the flexing is one of the biggest reasons I went with the NC over the Givi. And I've grown used to the look of the PCX with it on and it performs quite well.
robthrax

Post by robthrax »

Really appreciate all of the comments. I just purchased a 2013 PCX150 and definitely want a windscreen. At 6' 2" I was thinking tall but curios about the group's recommendation to see if xtra tall is the way to go. I live in St. Augustine, FL so it's not cold down here, but could use some wind protection as I live right on the ocean and when you're riding into the wind it's insane (especially over the tall bridges). TIA!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Keep in mind on ALL tall windshields that there are going to be some disadvantages as well as advantages to it. I have the tall Givi windshield on my 2013 PCX and I love it. However, when there is a heavy crossword you will feel it on the windshield. This is normal, and I would bet that even the Harley owners who have the windshield on their big bikes feel it. All things considered though, I love my tall Givi windshield. It gives me many hours of calm riding.

Also note: if you are taller than your windshield and don't like the wind overflow, you can divert it by way of a deflector that you can add to the top of it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Adjustable- ... ect=mobile

In warmer climates I would just deal with the wind overflow. It actually feels good! (I live in Georgia and it gets pretty hot here. The wind feels good.) Without the tall windshield I spend the ride fighting the wind. With it the wind flows around and over me.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
robthrax

Post by robthrax »

Thanks for that. Trying to determine whether to get the tall or extra tall but sounds like you're saying go a little smaller (Tall) then add a diverter as needed.