Stripped 10mm bolt

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

SantinoInc
Year: 2019
Color: Gray

Stripped 10mm bolt

Post by SantinoInc »

So I was attempting to install my tall GIVI windshield and thought it would be pretty simple as I watched a couple videos and had a general idea of what to do. I was able to pry off the plastic V shaped panel without too much drama. I somehow kind of screwed up one of the mirrors when I was removing it because I was confused by the two bolts.

However, the main issue I had was trying to remove the stock Honda windshield. One of the 10mm bolts 🔩 I must have turned it in the wrong direction and screwed it up (pun intended) Now the bolt spin indefinitely along with the two washers in either direction. A contractor friend who is very handy took a look at it and he believes that threaded insert which the bolt is in is damaged/loose which is why the bolt keeps spinning.

What do you guys think is the best way to resolve this issue?
SantinoInc

Re: Stripped 10mm bolt

Post by SantinoInc »

SantinoInc wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:12 pm So I was attempting to install my tall GIVI windshield and thought it would be pretty simple as I watched a couple videos and had a general idea of what to do. I was able to pry off the plastic V shaped panel without too much drama. I somehow kind of screwed up one of the mirrors when I was removing it because I was confused by the two bolts.

However, the main issue I had was trying to remove the stock Honda windshield. One of the 10mm bolts 🔩 I must have turned it in the wrong direction and screwed it up (pun intended) Now the bolt spin indefinitely along with the two washers in either direction. A contractor friend who is very handy took a look at it and he believes that threaded insert which the bolt is in is damaged/loose which is why the bolt keeps spinning.

What do you guys think is the best way to resolve this issue?
Attachments
20210507_180655.jpg
20210507_180655.jpg (158.83 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Reluctantly taking a shot at this..........hope there is a better way.
Maybe hold the bolt with locking pliers and drill the bolt through. Get another bolt [smaller/thinner] and nut.
Since the threaded insert is turning also......Maybe it could be held by small locking pliers?? Might have to remove
other parts to get pliers in there?? Maybe there is another member out there with a better solution.
Hope you get er done.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I can't guarantee that this will work but you might try this. Get a thin flathead screwdriver. Try to insert it under the washer. Then, while using a ratchet to try to unscrew the bolt (counterclockwise), keep pressure on the straightslot screwdriver and the ratchet so that the head of the screwdriver is forcing the bolt head up while the ratchet is forcing the bolt against the screwdriver. With enough pressure you might be able to unscrew the bolt one turn at a time.

If that doesn't work you may end up doing this whole thing the hard way, so take your time as you turn it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SantinoInc

Post by SantinoInc »

I ended up talking myself out of the Givi tall windshield (and necessary mount kit) and just returned both items. Honestly though, if I'm riding at anything under maximum speed the wind really isn't that overwhelming anyway. I appreciate the input though guys
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Great work around..........many on here choose to keep the stock shield. Can be quieter. I have the Taller Honda shield on the PCX and like it,
but there are times I wish it was easy to swap to the standard shield..........especially in the warmer weather.
SantinoInc

Post by SantinoInc »

mymitzi wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:49 pm Great work around..........many on here choose to keep the stock shield. Can be quieter. I have the Taller Honda shield on the PCX and like it,
but there are times I wish it was easy to swap to the standard shield..........especially in the warmer weather.
driving at lower speeds, IMO, there is 100% no need for the windshield. The stock windscreen provides great FOV and the wind is a minimal factor.
Interestingly, someone on the PCX FB page said that a tall windshield will actually raise the top speed of the bike. In my head I thought that the speed would decrease because you have this large plastic barrier in front of the bike. For those of you with a larger than stock windshield what is you take on the top speed w and w/o a tall windshield?
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

The tall windshield creates a more streamlined profile. The Human body acts more like a sail...........catches more air [unless tucked in tight] [YMMV]
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

PCX's are fast enough. 100kph (62mph) no problem. Some will go faster. But I usually go below 80kph (50mph). Actually I enjoy cruising at just 60kph (37mph). I installed my medium Givi shield long time ago, but if I remember well, the wind pushing at my chest at this cruising speed was already not pleasant (for me personally). Perhaps because I'm too light at less than 50kg. Also a shield also keeps the jacket cleaner longer.
ImageImageImage