Fuel capacity?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ghmpm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: red

Fuel capacity?

Post by ghmpm »

I have a 2015 300 and the manual says it holds 3 gallons of fuel. But I went on a 153 mile ride yesterday and the gas gauge said I was on Empty when I got back to town. I was really sweating it but the bike only took 2.07 gallons so averaged 74 MPG. Do I have a squirrely gas gauge or is the book wrong and it only holds 2+ gallons.

Thanks for any feedback.
Glenn

2012 Honda Silver Wing

2015 Honda Forza 300
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Fuel capacity?

Post by Old Scoot »

My 2020 Forza has a fuel tank that holds 11,5 liter that is about 3 US gallon / 2,5 UK gallon but I don't know if they are the same size/shape
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

They are the same size. My 2014 says it holds 11.5 liters. I ran it empty on purpose one day. I refilled it with 11.4 liters

My fuel gauge basically stays full for the first 100 km. It goes to empty by the next 100 km. It runs out of gas by the final 100 km.

The fuel milage varies a lot according to speed. At 30 kmph I can get 103 miles per Canadian gallon.

An American gallon is 3.8 liters, a Canadian gallon is 4.5 liters. An American liter is one Canadian liter.

My Canadian 2014 Honda Forza 300 gives the mpg in American gallons. I have the scooter set on km per liter.

I guess they did the fuel gauge that way so that you have a large unswitchable reserve.

It is the airspeed of the Forza that determines how much gas you use. A tailwind makes you go further.

Uphill or downhill makes very little difference. I ride the Coquihalla Highway often. The big downhills don't help.

I rode a pedal bicycle down a huge Coquihalla hill. I figured I would go fast. No, there was a big wing blowing up the hill. I had to pedal hard to go downhill.

I have 154,222 km on my 2014 now (95,800 miles). I broke another belt the other day. It was a used belt that I put back on the scooter after I broke a belt on the highway. I have another belt on the way.

I am going to put an AC unit in my window and then ride up the Coquihalla Summit (about 4000) for a coffee. I hope I don't hit the COVID roadblock. I might have to do a u-turn and run from the police on a scooter.
canthai
Regular User
Regular User

Post by canthai »

My 2014-2016 service manual says the same - 11.5 L
ghmpm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: red

Post by ghmpm »

Thanks for the information. Guess I had about another 74 miles to empty... Strange way to do this but now that I know; should be fine.
Glenn

2012 Honda Silver Wing

2015 Honda Forza 300
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by Austins »

Reset your Trip A to zero after filling up your gas tank to full - this also resets your average fuel consumption meter.

Then you can check your mileage on Trip A and fuel consumption and know how much more you can go before empty. The fuel gauge is pretty useless, I don't think I have ever looked at it ....!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I do the reset Trip A thing also. I use km/l times 10 as my max distance.

In Canada I really have to pay attention to fuel as the stations can be a long way apart.

I also can only use half my range in case I have to turn around and go back to my last fuel station because the road is closed.

Accidents & mother nature closes road on a regular basis around here.
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

My 2014 model is similar. The fuel gauge is reasonably accurate down to half full and then drops like a stone to show below empty at 150 miles. I just use the MPG (UK) figure and multiply it by 2.5 to give a fairly accurate fuel range. I keep the trip meter on the screen to keep me informed of miles travelled since the last fill up.
canthai
Regular User
Regular User

Post by canthai »

My Father taught me a good lesson many years ago.
"Always run on the top half of the tank. You never know when you will need the bottom half"
Proven true when FI came on the scene, as the pump is in the tank and will last longer if immersed in fuel as it runs cooler.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The fuel gauge is only present for aesthetic purposes, to even up the dash.
Use the economy meter, its completely accurate.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong