My First Accident :(

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCXMotara2040
Year: 2015
Color: Pearl White

My First Accident :(

Post by PCXMotara2040 »

Last Friday I Was Hit by A Car While Cruising around town. He Did not check that traffic was clear, skipped the yellow buffer lane and went straight into me.
Alot of the left side plastic is Gone, The Footwell was peeled back (Thank the lord I ride with my foot on the passenger pegs)
I begin the Deconstruction of the bike this week, Piece by piece I will strip it down to her frame to inspect the forks, and steering department.
I had Liability Ins and the other driver had no insurance so it is up to me right now while the lawyers go get him, (Hopefully)
Anything else that i should check?
IT seems that every piece of plastic has been misaligned and popped out,at least partially. Ill need to take it all off and put it all back together, Hopefully without issue.
I've attached pictures from the accident.
I body slammed his car going 45 mph, My ribs were bruised pretty bad but, its been a week since and I feel ok now, Just some residual Soreness.
Attachments
Vehicle Damage 2#7002743431-.jpeg
Vehicle Damage 2#7002743431-.jpeg (98.96 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
Motorcycle Damage 2#7002743431-.jpeg
Motorcycle Damage 2#7002743431-.jpeg (122.95 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
Motorcycle Damage1#7002743431-.jpeg
Motorcycle Damage1#7002743431-.jpeg (122.22 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
SantinoInc
Year: 2019
Color: Gray

Re: My First Accident :(

Post by SantinoInc »

Hate to sound cliche here but i'm happy you were able to walk away from this w/o a serious injury! I'm new to the scooter game and I'm far more scared of other shitty motorist than my lack of experience riding a scooter! There are some terrible drivers out there!
PCXMotara2040
Year: 2015
Color: Pearl White

Post by PCXMotara2040 »

SantinoInc wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:55 pm Hate to sound cliche here but i'm happy you were able to walk away from this w/o a serious injury! I'm new to the scooter game and I'm far more scared of other shitty motorist than my lack of experience riding a scooter! There are some terrible drivers out there!
Oh yeah Mee too,
Its been ALMOST a year since I got my first scoot!
I felt Invincible! Like Nothing like this could happen to me..
I thought I was Super Aware and Diligent while on the road..
Some things we just can't avoid.
In this case, the Driver was more than just merging into traffic, He was actually trying to cross both lanes directly to enter a business across the street.. Had the timing been any different, I Could have T-boned him, So Thankfully, We as scooters don;t FLY down the street, We Put Put.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

One of the biggest worries for a 2 wheeled rider is the OTHER driver. We can take all of the safety courses and be great on our bike, but we can not determine what is going on in the other driver's head.

Yesterday we were driving to the store in my wife's car and noticed that the car in front of use continually crossed the double yellow lines or drifted over to the curb on the other side of the rode. We kept our distance but finally had the opportunity to pull up beside the driver. It was a little old lady whose head did not clear the middle of the steering wheel! It was obvious from looking at her that she could not see the road. Eventually she turned, but it gave use a moment to think about what she would see if we were in front of her on our bikes... probably nothing.

I don't know the circumstances behind her having to get behind the wheel, but we are all put in danger by such drivers, so our only option is to think of ourselves as invisible to all drivers and act accordingly. In this case, I would bet that we actually were invisible to her. To those who run red lights, we 're invisible. To those who don't yield the right-of-way, we are invisible.
Welcome to the world of 2 wheeled transportation.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Kilgor270
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze Metallic

Post by Kilgor270 »

Glad you are ok after the crash! My area is pretty urban and I tend to drive 35mph or less, but my biggest fear is another car pulling out in front of me and I T-Bone them. I often wonder what is better, hand on the brake lever or thumb on the horn. Mel is correct, the other drivers simply don't see 2 wheel vehicles.

Be Safe out there!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Probably not an attractive option for 99% of riders - But I never go "out cruising about town" on my scooter.
My aim is to get through town traffic and out into the less populated (& less trafficked) areas of my county ASAP....where I can relax somewhat.

I prefer to do this at a time of day I've always enjoyed (sunrise) which , even better, is also a time that darn few people are driving about.
People who do not know my routes and my riding style - constantly preach that I should be very worried about deer.
NO.

I've had more close-calls in the city with drivers this week - than with deer in 9 yrs or rural riding. Full stop.
Yeah, if you ride WOT all the time - wait for daylight - and stay on the freeways.

Anyway - my point is - to anyone who is interested in fewer close-calls, and more relaxed riding on their scooter : try early mornings rides and/or low-trafficked rural routes on smooth pavement. Let the city dwellers have at each other's cars.
Glad you're mostly OK.
Fish
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Thanks for sharing this, and the heads-up to all of us. It's always a matter of ANTICIPATING and expecting the worst from drivers, fellow-riders, pedestrians, hazards, conditions, etc.. Consider that the most common car accident is a rear-ender, and this has been the case since before cell phones. It is much worst now, and navigation and entertainment screens have compounded the DISTRACTIONS -the main explanation for rear-enders, and we're much less visible than cars, even with proper gear, etc.. Best ANTICIPATING to all! BTW, one's own bluetoothing, navigation, video-recording is DISTRACTING our riding attention and chances. Fish's advise is good: it anticipates, simply, that alternatives are less safe/risky.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Glad you are OK.

Its not too bad in the great scheme of things. Will the police pursue the driver for driving without insurance?

It does seem to have provoked an outbreak of capitalisation.
ZinogreHelm
Year: 2021
Color: White

Post by ZinogreHelm »

Glad to hear you're okay and mostly recovered. I haven't had any major "close calls" or anything like that, although I have had some taxi drivers cut me off forcing me to brake in tight traffic. Outside of actual, serious bodily harm, my biggest fear is that something like this happening to me (or nearly happening) would scare me off of riding, or at least make me want to take a break.

How are you feeling, mentally? Ready to jump back on? I'm just curious.
--ZH
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

This isn't going to make you feel any better but statistics in the United States show a growing trend of under-insured and NOT insured vehicles on the road. There are multiple reasons for this, one of which is that drunk drivers still drive, even if their license has been suspended and their insurance cancelled. Another problem is the amount of illegal immigrants who are driving without a license or insurance, and sometimes their vehicles aren't even registered.

My point is that the roads are becoming more dangerous, so for 2 wheelers it is necessary for us to think of every driver as unpredictable, and then act accordingly. When I see a car approaching the intersection I am coming up on, I immediately slow down and watch them because that driver may or may not slow down, even if they have a stop sign or red light. You can no longer trust that others will obey the law. For your safety, believe that they won't.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

Don’t take this for granted, but lucky not to be seriously injured. drive slow and safe!