Why no mega scooter?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Why no mega scooter?

Post by vito »

I wonder why Honda gave up on larger displacement scooters. Years ago I had a Silverwing and with its 110 mph capability was up to even the fastest Interstate traffic. Even if they just brought back one with a 300 or 400 cc engine it would be powerful enough to be seen as a real alternative to a motorcycle.

I love my PCX150, but see it as something for around town only. For multi hour rides, where I might need to be able to keep up 65 or 75, even uphill, the PCX just can’t do it with that little engine. I guess I could look at the Burgman 400 but I’ve always been partial to Honda.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
SantinoInc
Color: Gray

Re: Why no mega scooter?

Post by SantinoInc »

vito wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:18 am I wonder why Honda gave up on larger displacement scooters. Years ago I had a Silverwing and with its 110 mph capability was up to even the fastest Interstate traffic. Even if they just brought back one with a 300 or 400 cc engine it would be powerful enough to be seen as a real alternative to a motorcycle.

I love my PCX150, but see it as something for around town only. For multi hour rides, where I might need to be able to keep up 65 or 75, even uphill, the PCX just can’t do it with that little engine. I guess I could look at the Burgman 400 but I’ve always been partial to Honda.
I'm new to scooter/motorcycles. My first one ever is the 19' PCX. I took it on my local highway with a speed limit of 50 MPH. I have to admit it was a bit of a white knuckle ride. It was kind of ballsy considering my lack of experience riding this thing. That's besides the point though. I was able to reach a max speed of 63 MPH at full throttle. The wind was pretty disorienting though so I'm considering getting the Givi large windshield. Now my fear is that that will lower the max speed. If this thing could get to 70 MPH I would be more than happy.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think the newly advertised Forza 750 will be Honda's venture back into the maxi scooter market.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/448883/n ... 750-debut/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gjschwartzman
Year: 2019 and 2020
Color: Bronze and Red

Post by gjschwartzman »

SantinoInc wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:22 am
vito wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:18 am I wonder why Honda gave up on larger displacement scooters. Years ago I had a Silverwing and with its 110 mph capability was up to even the fastest Interstate traffic. Even if they just brought back one with a 300 or 400 cc engine it would be powerful enough to be seen as a real alternative to a motorcycle.

I'm new to scooter/motorcycles. My first one ever is the 19' PCX. I took it on my local highway with a speed limit of 50 MPH. I have to admit it was a bit of a white knuckle ride. It was kind of ballsy considering my lack of experience riding this thing. That's besides the point though. I was able to reach a max speed of 63 MPH at full throttle. The wind was pretty disorienting though so I'm considering getting the Givi large windshield. Now my fear is that that will lower the max speed. If this thing could get to 70 MPH I would be more than happy.
Recently picked up a 2020 Yamaha Xmax 300. It checks all the boxes that you're interested in. It has an adjustable windscreen, front and back ABS, as well as traction control. Only about 100 pounds heavier than the PCX 150, and very easy to handle. Seat height is higher than the PCX. Easily capable of highway speeds but also easy to maneuver around town. Of course, I also kept my PCX since I love it so much.
SantinoInc
Color: Gray

Post by SantinoInc »

gjschwartzman wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:27 am
SantinoInc wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:22 am

Recently picked up a 2020 Yamaha Xmax 300. It checks all the boxes that you're interested in. It has an adjustable windscreen, front and back ABS, as well as traction control. Only about 100 pounds heavier than the PCX 150, and very easy to handle. Seat height is higher than the PCX. Easily capable of highway speeds but also easy to maneuver around town. Of course, I also kept my PCX since I love it so much.
If price wasn't a factor I would have gone with something like that. I looked up the Xmas and it would be over $6000 after tax, fees etc. I spent half of that on my PCX. Belive it or not I was actually considering the Ruckus and bumped up the budget to get the PCX. Its a fun scooter and mostly hits all the boxes at the price i was willing to pay ($3000)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

There is only one reason that Honda or any other major manufacturer puts bikes on the road. That is, the bikes that can sell in that country at a certain level amount. I was with American Honda for about eight years in the 80s, and then moved on to a few other manufacturers that offered me promotions. But every company I worked with always ask the same question when we went to them and asked them for an additional model. The comment was always the same “great, but can you sell X,000 amount? Because that was what it was going to take for the parent company to make money after all the R&DAnd tooling was done and handed over to the finance department. This is all just business. If something isn’t offered here, it’s because it won’t sell here in the amounts necessary to produce a profit. No one working at a motorcycle company is an enthusiast first, and a businessman second. They may be both, but business/net profit always takes the forefront.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
CTPCX
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: red

Post by CTPCX »

that Forza 750 looks and has a lot of the same features as their X-ADV. But neither is coming to USA unfortunately. I would love to have one.
BTW SantinoInc, I got into the scooter game with a ruckus. It's a lot of fun and I take it in the woods which is something I would not do with my PCX. But overall the PCX is way better and more comfortable to ride. You made the right choice.
2015 Ruckus
2016 PCX
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

I may just put a red Honda badge and red pinstripes on my new PCX.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

there arent enough of us scooter riders who want the larger machines in this country they cant sell enough of them to make it worth it. Its to bad really theres alot of great scooters out there they we cant buy id like to try out the tri city 300 but you cant get one here
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yasss, the tri-city! I too would like a try on that 3 wheeler! Have been hoping it would come over. Hasn't in years so imagine it won't ever. Like so many others :( booo
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

@ ezrider - Cool, Do it!! Then post some pics in our gallery :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You