How to set the light to auto shut off

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

mikeyla85
Year: 2020
Color: Black

How to set the light to auto shut off

Post by mikeyla85 »

Hello!
On my 2020 PCX, about six times, I've left the knob in the on state by mistake and walked away, and come back to a dead battery.
Is there a way to change the setting so the light automatically turns off?
Thank you all!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: How to set the light to auto shut off

Post by Jge64 »

There is no way to auto shut off the light if you leave the ignition on. Besides that, if you have flattened your battery several times, that battery is prone to future failure, even if charged. It’s not just the light you left,on , it’s the whole electrical system of the bike. Replace the battery and figure out a way that you don’t do this again.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
FrogmanDave
Color: Candy Red

Post by FrogmanDave »

Jge64 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:21 am There is no way to auto shut off the light if you leave the ignition on. Besides that, if you have flattened your battery several times, that battery is prone to future failure, even if charged. It’s not just the light you left,on , it’s the whole electrical system of the bike. Replace the battery and figure out a way that you don’t do this again.
What Jge64 said.
2020 PCX 150 Candy Luster Red
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

Can any person start the bike when you leave it in that state? My guess is no.
ImageImageImage
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Isn't the key locked into the ignition socket until it is in the complete OFF position? If so, that would mean that you are leaving the key in the ignition when you leave it. At least, that is how it is on my PCX. If you leave your key in your ignition and walk away, goodbye bike.

If your problem is that you leave your key in your ignition, find a way to attach the key to you. When you get off off the bike you will have no choice but to take your key with you...After you turn the key to OFF and remove it. Otherwise, install a remote, keyless, start on the bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

Probably it is a keyless PCX, and using the kick stand to kill the engine.
ImageImageImage
mikeyla85

Post by mikeyla85 »

Yep, a keyless PCX. In daylight it's easy not to notice that it's still in the on position. I would have expected a default behavior of turning the light off after a certain amount of time, or an option to do so.

Ah well. Can anyone recommend a good solution for when this happens that doesn't involve calling a mechanic? Either a second battery or a portable jumper kit?

Thanks all.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Sorry to be blunt, but this is a problem with you, the owner, not the bike , if this has happened SIX TIMES. I suggest you don’t get off the bike unless YOU VISUALLY CHECK to see that it is turned off. Buy a new battery replace it and start practicing the new shut down procedure.
Glen
mikeyla85

Post by mikeyla85 »

Thanks for the hot tip Glen. I hadn't considered that.
I think good UX accounts for user error and still delivers good results, and don't see a real reason the lights should stay on past a few minutes rather than killing the battery any time you stop the bike but don't flip the switch. Sounds like that's not an option.
Have a good day everyone.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

You seem to be missing the point that it’s not just the light that is causing the problem. The total bike is still energized when you stop, and leave the bike in the on position. All the electronics are still alive, the computer is still alive and that will kill the battery just as fast as leaving the light on. You need to turn the bike off completely when you’re done using the bike.
Glen
SantinoInc
Year: 2019
Color: Gray

Post by SantinoInc »

Kinda makes me happy I don't have the keyless version
mikeyla85

Post by mikeyla85 »

Yes, I understand that. I was hoping there was a setting to turn the bike off after some number of minutes with the switch in that position.
Haarek
Year: 125 Forza

Post by Haarek »

This is a strange problem to have. Why don't you switch off your stuff when you leave it? That the engine isn't running doesn't mean the scooter is switched off. But I'm sure you got that already.

I honestly think Honda didn't expect people to do this. It just goes against common sense.
At least if one does it six times in a year without considering user routines....

And the keyless system works great! No faff to find the keys or fishing them out of tight pockets with cold fingers. Now I just keep the key in my kit, so when I have my jacket on I know I'm ready to go.
2019 Honda NSS125 Forza.
Norway
mikeyla85

Post by mikeyla85 »

It may be common sense if you've ridden a scooter before. This was my first scooter, and I quickly learned that pedal down = scooter off.
When I turn off my car, the headlights stay on for 5 minutes so I'm used to this behavior.

I think it's absurd people saying here that this is solely a user problem. Good design accounts for user error. Yes, clearly I will need to be sure never to do this. But it doesn't make sense to me that the default behavior is to run the battery down.

On top of that, in the 2020 version they removed the ability to start the scooter with the foot pedal. So you're one mistake away from guaranteed needing to call a mechanic to come visit.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Paint your side & center stands a seriously awful color. Then when you put one of them down you'll ask yourself why you'd do such an ugly thing. Just hope you don't forget why.
Haarek
Year: 125 Forza

Post by Haarek »

mikeyla85 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:23 am I think it's absurd people saying here that this is solely a user problem. Good design accounts for user error. Yes, clearly I will need to be sure never to do this. But it doesn't make sense to me that the default behavior is to run the battery down.
I think that is like saying all knives should be blunt because you keep stabbing yourself with them.
2019 Honda NSS125 Forza.
Norway