(New Brake Levers) Parking Brake Won't Engage

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Chuck52106
Year: 2019
Color: Bronz

(New Brake Levers) Parking Brake Won't Engage

Post by Chuck52106 »

Hello my name is Charlie and I am new here. And yes I am a old man. I'm from Illinois and have A 2019 PCX. Hoping I can get a little help here I put some new brake levers on my scooter. They are shorter than the OEM and they do have the adjustable flipswitch that changes the the distance to the grips. What my problem is now that I put them on the parking brake will not engage. I looked on the Forum here and I do know about adjusting the knob at the rear wheel but that does not help either way you adjust it. I did read on another post that there is a rear brake adjustment underneath the windshield before I take it all apart I thought I would just ask does anyone think that this would be the first place to look. Just to say when I do pull the brake lever there seems to be plenty of tension that the parking brake should ingauge. I normally put the scooter on the stand but just curious why. Thank you for your time any answers very much appreciated. Thanks Charlie
Charlie
op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Re: (New Brake Levers) Parking Brake Won't Engage

Post by op3l »

I did a bit of search and came across viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5129which is a few years old but could help you out.

My PCX does not have a parking brake, and I've parked it on some pretty steep inclines with just the side stand and it's fine. If it's real steep I'll use the center stand and no issues at all.
Chuck52106

Post by Chuck52106 »

Thank you for your reply. What I can't understand is that I put the oem rear brake lever back on just to test it and it works fine. I'm going to look at both of them real close and see what the difference may be. It has to do something with the difference in the lever. Just have to find what it is. Anyway thank you very much for your response. Charlie
Charlie
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

There was quite a lot of discussion on this several years ago. In general, it does require adjustment at the rear linkage as was mentioned - but the "Parking Brake" is a finicky mechanism and many of us simply ignore it - I know I do.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I changed my bikes over to adjustable levers the parking brake no longer worker. The reason for that has to do with the cable on the left brake lever. The right brake lever handles the front brake only. (Read up on that. The front disc has 3 piston. The left lever is a combination brake but does NOT depress all 3 piston. I can not recall for sure but I think it only handles the center piston. In any case, the rear brake is the old fashion drum brake. As such, the parking brake locks the rear brake pads by pulling them against the drum by way of the attached cable. The new adjustable levers start off in a different position than the OEM ones, so the cable has to be adjusted for the new position. This can be done by way of a nut that attaches to the rear brake cable on the left side, rear, also attached to an "arm" that is the lowest point of the left rear by the tire. Turning the nut while holding the brake lever will let you know if you are tightening the cable or loosening it. Don't over tighten it or the rear tire won't turn. After you think you have it correct, hold the left brake lever in while pulling on the parking brake. It should lock the wheel.

I hope this helps.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Here's some more on adjusting handbrake
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8007&p=109617&hilit ... ke#p109617
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Chuck52106

Post by Chuck52106 »

Thanks very much for the reply. You were right as far as the cable
reajusted with new levers. I have a friend that worked at the Honda dealership as a mechanic for 25 years he moved to Phoenix. I gave him a call and ask him the question. He told me it was a simple fix. He told me before I took the lever off put the parking brake on then loosen the adjusting nut out and take the OEM lever off put the but the new lever on and adjust the nut from there. You have to play with it a little bit but it did work and now it works fine. Thank you and anyone else that looked at my post or answed it. I appreciate it very much. Charlie
Charlie