Stop Start function oddity?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Stop Start function oddity?

Post by op3l »

So this morning I was riding to somewhere and noticed the stop start function light kept going off. Fine, the bike probably wasn't warmed up yet so I didn't pay it any mind. Then about 15 min into the ride, I stopped at a red light and the stop start function still won't work. Every time I turn it on, the green "A" turns on for a bit, then turns off after about 3 seconds. This continues the entire 30+ min ride until I get to the destination. Once there, I turned off the engine then about 5 min later, turned it back on and now the stop start system is working. Now on the way back to the office, the green "A" stays on the entire ride back and is working normally again.

I've done the same ride once before, also from a cold start. On the way there the stop-start will not stay engaged. It will auto shut off. Then once I'm there and turn off the engine and then turn it back on later, it will work again.

Any idea why it's doing this?
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Re: Stop Start function oddity?

Post by Yorkie150 »

sounds like a battery fault. I had exactly the same problem with mine. First check the battery connections to see if they are secure. Then get the battery tested and if faulty replace it.

Mine was due to not being used...the battery was not holding a charge...The idle stop functions senses the battery voltage and will not activate of the voltage is low.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

It's not a straight line graph either - the ECU / battery sense for start-stop is stepped in some fashion although ramped. Definitely sounds like it's sensing the battery is poor.

You are lucky, some find their batteries give out and the bike will not run, let alone just the start-stop.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Get rid of it.. Nothing but a damn headache. Serves no meaningful purpose anyway
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

Thats just what the Honda dealer told me......a few weeks after I went in to buy a new one and they told me then it was a great idea as it saved the enviroment by saving fuel use...... just think they couldn't be arsed to undertake the warranty repair ...unlike another local Honda dealer who gladly replaced my faulty battery and its operated without any faults since .
So if the battery is operating correctly its not a dammed headache ...its a great idea .
op3l
Regular User
Regular User

Post by op3l »

Got ya. Then my bike must not be charging it enough between uses. My usual commute is usually only a quick 5 min ride one way to the office then parked for 8 hours and ridden home.

Think it's worth it to invest in a volt meter for the battery?
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

Get an optimate battery charger / conditioner
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

op3l wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:48 pm Think it's worth it to invest in a volt meter for the battery?
I got my voltmeter for under 5 American dollars. Now is 2021 I think it should be part of the dashboard as standard but unfortunately not.
ImageImageImage
kyjoka
Year: 2018

Post by kyjoka »

I assure this defect comes from dead battery :)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

All these start stop systems look for a battery that is low. On BMWs, anything less than a resting rate of 12.0 shuts off the start stop system.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I need to scan the graph that came with my service manual ammendment - it was not a straight volts check but staggered graph.
op3l
Regular User
Regular User

Post by op3l »

raito wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:36 amI got my voltmeter for under 5 American dollars. Now is 2021 I think it should be part of the dashboard as standard but unfortunately not.
Haha ya. My previous bike was a yamaha aerox 155 and that thing had a battery meter built in. Hondas always slow to give basic necessities(gear indicator on their CB bikes is a great example...)
WhiteJLY
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Pearl white

Post by WhiteJLY »

Thanks for all the sharings. My August 2018 is showing the same symptom, will change the battery.
WhiteJLY
2018 Pearl White V4 PCX, 149cc
Malaysia