Engine Break In During Cold Weather?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

aragon

Engine Break In During Cold Weather?

Post by aragon »

Probably a dumb question but here goes. Are there any adverse effects if the majority of break in miles are ridden in cold weather? I just bought a PCX 150 a little over a week ago. I love it so much I can't stop riding despite the cold weather. At the rate I'm going I will have ridden the majority of the first 300 miles in freezing temps or slightly above.

Also, great forum. Been browsing the last couple of days and there is a lot of good content on here.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Engine Break In During Cold Weather?

Post by you you »

aragon wrote:Probably a dumb question but here goes. Are there any adverse effects if the majority of break in miles are ridden in cold weather? I just bought a PCX 150 a little over a week ago. I love it so much I can't stop riding despite the cold weather. At the rate I'm going I will have ridden the majority of the first 300 miles in freezing temps or slightly above.

Also, great forum. Been browsing the last couple of days and there is a lot of good content on here.

Don't worry, it doesn't matter what time of year you break the bike in
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

Just don't ride it like you stole it for the first few minutes, same thing as for any cold engine. I put mine on the centre stand and let it run for the time I put my gloves on (the last thing I do before riding off). Helps to get that little bit of oil flowing and up to temperature before I go on my way.
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I got my PCX in late fall so all my miles have been in freezing temps with no problems.
aragon

Post by aragon »

Thanks for the feedback!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

It shouldn't matter as long as you give the engine ample time to warm up. During break-in especially, you should go for longer rides rather than shorter rides. If you're just going a mile to the grocery, go the long way and turn that into a 10-mile trip to get the engine properly warmed up. :)

Modern engines are built to much better specifications than older engines. As long as you aren't going full throttle continuously or neglecting the first service, you should be fine.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
aragon

Post by aragon »

maddiedog wrote:It shouldn't matter as long as you give the engine ample time to warm up. During break-in especially, you should go for longer rides rather than shorter rides. If you're just going a mile to the grocery, go the long way and turn that into a 10-mile trip to get the engine properly warmed up. :)

Modern engines are built to much better specifications than older engines. As long as you aren't going full throttle continuously or neglecting the first service, you should be fine.
Thanks. It sounds like I need to do a better job of warming up or taking the long way for good measure. My commute is only 2 miles to work and most of my other trips have been pretty short too.
PCX Commuter

Post by PCX Commuter »

aragon wrote:Probably a dumb question but here goes. Are there any adverse effects if the majority of break in miles are ridden in cold weather? I just bought a PCX 150 a little over a week ago. I love it so much I can't stop riding despite the cold weather. At the rate I'm going I will have ridden the majority of the first 300 miles in freezing temps or slightly above.

Welcome to the forums! I bought mine in early Jan and have been riding in freezing temps as well! Two things to consider here. First, when the engine is cold (or very cold) and with it just breaking in, you have a higher than normal amount of blow-by. This is burned and un-burned fuel that slips by the new rings and gets into the motor oil. It is all part of the break-in and why the early oil change is so important. They key is to be gentle on throttle acceleration to reduce the amount of blow-by.

Secondly, warm-up is a tricky balance. The best way for an engine to warm up is under steady load. Idling is actually fairly rough when very cold. A load can help get everything up and running, including the catalytic converter. You want that at temp and burning through the un-burned fuel cleanly and not getting jammed up in the exhaust. So, a very brief bit of idling after first starting in very cold temps is good, but then gentle throttle as it warms up is best. Mine is garage kept, so less of an issue as it doesn't get terribly cold in there, here in TN.

BTW, cold weather is one of the areas that water cooled and fuel injected scooters have a clear advantage over air-cooled and carburated versions. Through the ECU actively monitoring and controlling fuel mixture and the thermostat monitoring engine temps, the motor is able to keep in its peak efficiency. Love the PCX!
Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX 150, 2002 Honda Metropolitan
Previously owned: 1978 Honda NC50
aragon

Post by aragon »

Thanks PCX Commuter that's good info. I keep mine in the garage too but man it has been cold lately. This morning I had my coldest ride at 18F. It is the first trip I've taken that was uncomfortable, but only on my hands. Rode in the low 20s and never had an issue. In fact it was invigorating. Will probably rethink riding the next time it gets this cold.
PCX Commuter

Post by PCX Commuter »

aragon wrote:Thanks PCX Commuter that's good info. I keep mine in the garage too but man it has been cold lately. This morning I had my coldest ride at 18F. It is the first trip I've taken that was uncomfortable, but only on my hands. Rode in the low 20s and never had an issue. In fact it was invigorating. Will probably rethink riding the next time it gets this cold.
I hear you! My temp limit is now 20F. I drove a couple weeks ago at 16F and my gear just couldn't quite keep me warm.
Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX 150, 2002 Honda Metropolitan
Previously owned: 1978 Honda NC50