comparison of PCX/SH/Forza 125s

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

suiko

comparison of PCX/SH/Forza 125s

Post by suiko »

hi everyone

Looking to buy a PCX, or an SH 125, or a Forza, and I would like to get some comparisons from users.

It'll be largely for local use (in S Europe), but I would definitely like to be able to do longer trips on it, possibly with a passenger, so it should have be up to that and have decent storage. Reliability really of paramount importance, as I'm not great at fixing stuff (and may even take it over to Morocco).

Could cross-post this on the Forza board, but not sure if this is the done thing on here? Also there doesn't seem to be an SH125 board?

Thanks !
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: comparison of PCX/SH/Forza 125s

Post by gn2 »

Long trips with passenger?
Forget 125, not enough engine.
If its a Honda you're set on, get the Forza 300 or 350
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
suiko

Post by suiko »

Thanks.

It's got to be a 125, though - I live in a country where I can drive that on my car licence, and where I could never pass another test. Happy to be limited to about 90 kph, and to travelling maybe max 200km a day. And in any case, this is just something I'd like to have the possibility of doing, not something I'm going to be doing regularly.

I'm really interested in the experience of anyone who knows these different models.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I cant help you with specifics, but I was considering the SHi at first but went with the PCX due to this forum and knowledge in fixing issues.

The SH has been around a long time and has been revamped during that time. One thing I do not like about the PCX is the bodywork plastics - a real pain to get many of them off to get at the engine and electrics. Perhaps not so important for you as you do not want to do work yourself, but it adds lots of time and cost for repairs by others, who may break many of the fixings when removing the panels.
suiko

Post by suiko »

Thanks! So why did you go for the PCX over the SH?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Forza is easily the best of the three for carrying a passenger.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

The Forza 125 seems to be have a fair amount of issues according to many posts in the FB group - more so than a nth generation Honda expensive scooter should have. It's still good, but some have posted they are fed up with continual problems, not good for a scooter costing near £5000!
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

iceman wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:51 am I cant help you with specifics, but I was considering the SHi at first but went with the PCX due to this forum and knowledge in fixing issues.

The SH has been around a long time and has been revamped during that time. One thing I do not like about the PCX is the bodywork plastics - a real pain to get many of them off to get at the engine and electrics. Perhaps not so important for you as you do not want to do work yourself, but it adds lots of time and cost for repairs by others, who may break many of the fixings when removing the panels.
Curious too why you chose the PCX over the SHi given all the negative things listed above?
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Conelite wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:21 pm
iceman wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:51 am I cant help you with specifics, but I was considering the SHi at first but went with the PCX due to this forum and knowledge in fixing issues.
Curious too why you chose the PCX over the SHi given all the negative things listed above?
|Mostly as mentioned in the 1st line, knowledge in this forum but also because it was the newer LED style that came along when I bought mine, '14 reg. Besides a clutch bearing issue (noisy due to 10c bearings and not enough grease in the factory) I've had no issues and have always average 130mpg+ (did just over 140 once) < litres in, trip miles, gauge is a few % generous in readings from full to flashing light.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

The Forza has the largest body with the longest wheelbase of the three - which implies largest weight and biggest luggage capacity.
The PCX is the smallest, so that is predominantly a city scooter - but it has ample storage capacity (especially with a top box) and can be used even for the odd two-up ride to the movies or a concert where parking with a car would be difficult. Would not do long stretches on it especially with a pillion, mine never even leaves the city - Caveat I have larger bikes for longer and two up riding.
The SH? Dunno. Small storage capacity cmpared to the other two, larger wheels higher seating, same engine as the PCX.
BTW the Forza has almost the same engine, but with a 4valve head, so despite the extra weight it has the same or better performance than the siblings.
suiko

Post by suiko »

Many thanks for all the input :-)

I feel I need to try the Forza out, because of the size/weight issue, but unfortunately it's extremely hard to find anything to test drive out here, with the COVID-related stock issues. Basically the dealers get fewer than they want, which sell as soon as they arrive.

Also a bit concerned there seem to be more issues with the Forza than with the others.

The SH does have less storage, but then it comes with the top box. I like the bigger wheels, but seems to have a bit less weather protection though?

Other option is, of course, the Yamaha NMax, which looks pretty good too. The seat seems a bit less comfortable though.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

If not a test drive it would be good to sit on several of them to see how you find them. I didn't do this but find the PCX fine, albeit 6 foot tall people probably look a little odd say on one compared to larger bikes. I thought the NMax was a bit too cramped for taller people of those with long legs - someone will correct this if wrong.
halluinoid
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: blue

Post by halluinoid »

gn2 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:33 pm Long trips with passenger?
Forget 125, not enough engine.
If its a Honda you're set on, get the Forza 300 or 350
I went from a Yamaha 125 to a Forza 300 and as gn2 says Long trips with passenger? a 125 is not going to score high on that front

but I tell you what, I quickly noticed the increased COST of fuel when I changed :lol:
2018 Honda Forza 300cc
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Fuel cost increase welll worth it for the performance boost.
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

Loving my 17 PCX 150 never going to sell it.
:geek:
suiko

Post by suiko »

Thanks again.

I did sit on them all, at least. Like the Forza's riding position, but bit concerned about the reliability issues. Is the fuel economy significantly worse than the smaller models?

I know 125 isn't ideal for long travel, but it's the only option for me.

How was the switch from NMax to Forza?
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

I rode 600 sport bikes in my late Teens, then graduated to 50cc Ruckus game. Did that for almost a decade and still have my 49cc Metropolitan (just waiting on an engine rebuild). I always wanted a 100+cc bike that is EFI so Its bulletproof reliable between engine rebuilds .

The PCX has been without a doubt the winner of smiles per mile out of all my bikes. Although I dont get the 120+mpg people here get (I average 75-80mpg) I got it for fun and to be able to do long distance group rides. Best part is I can always jump on the freeway and cruise on home if I want. Perk of 150 over the 125.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
suiko

Post by suiko »

Any experiences of reliability/durability for any of these models?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

suiko wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:06 pm Any experiences of reliability/durability for any of these models?
Although I reported what I had seen from users in the FB Forza group, it's worth while joining that and asking users opionions on it and reliability - it's full of actual users as I do not believe there are many here, mostly PCX 125/150 and such.
Mack62
Year: 2021
Color: Matt Grey

Post by Mack62 »

suiko wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:43 am hi everyone

Looking to buy a PCX, or an SH 125, or a Forza, and I would like to get some comparisons from users.

It'll be largely for local use (in S Europe), but I would definitely like to be able to do longer trips on it, possibly with a passenger, so it should have be up to that and have decent storage. Reliability really of paramount importance, as I'm not great at fixing stuff (and may even take it over to Morocco).

Could cross-post this on the Forza board, but not sure if this is the done thing on here? Also there doesn't seem to be an SH125 board?

Thanks !
So what did you end up getting? I test drove all three (in Spain), definitely liked the Forza the best as it is the most like a motorcycle. If I was doing longer trips, would definitely take the Forza. I ended up getting PCX as it has the lowest seat height and I want my wife to learn to ride a scooter.